satch compared? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

satch compared?

Ive been listening to Not Of This Earth and Super Collosal, to do a bit of comparison. I have mixed feelings, both are good albums but have a lot of differences.
- the latter is definately put together better, recorded better, and there is a wider variety of sounds
- Not Of This Earth has a lot less layers and is i guess more straight foward. To me it sounds a lot cooler
- Satch's sound, you can definately hear the marshall in Not Of This Earth, compared to the various amps in the latter.
- To me it feels like musically satch has explored more ideas in Not Of This Earth, scale wise i think. Just listening to memories, there is definately pentatonic, harmonic minors, etc (even some parts sound like something malmsteen would play: 1:39-1:42 , 1:54 - 1:59 and so on)

I guess im asking what do you guys think? which album do you prefer (referring to his older or newer stuff) I dunno to me the older stuff sounds much cooler, esp Not Of This Earth and surfing w/ alien but the latest stuff feels more emotive i guess

thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:20 AM

Re: satch compared?

In my opinion, his last "great" album was Crystal Planet. I am not a big fan of his more recent albums.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 09:22 AM

Old stuff. Because it was made in the 80's.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 02:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
Old stuff. Because it was made in the 80's.
does this mean in 20 years you will prefer his 2000 stuff? :P
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 07:37 AM

i thought s.c was probably one of his best albums, defiantly some great tracks on there, but as always with satch, a couple of songs seem to let down the whole thing.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 AM

it's hard to get an album 100% great... especially when your tastes are different than mine! (but I love "supercolossal", "movin on" an "theme for a strange world")
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 AM

i also think that Satch applied the logic: less is more...
seems he's less showing off than in his first albums!
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:58 AM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallie! View Post
- Satch's sound, you can definately hear the marshall in Not Of This Earth, compared to the various amps in the latter.
Can you hear the cheapo Gorilla practice amp too?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choubix View Post
i also think that Satch applied the logic: less is more...
seems he's less showing off than in his first albums!
Well, his fingers turned 50 last year.....

I like Super Collossal very much. Not my favourite, but it's very different from previous albums and that's a good thing

Last edited by DavyH; 05-15-2007 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Really should check spelling before posting.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 02:47 AM

just saying that his style changed. he doesnt have much to prove.
he's been and will be for the next generations a very influencial guitarist like steve vai, hendrix and others.

he can still shred like on day 1 but from what I can hear in the different albums: he's more focused on emotions that on playing at dazzling speed
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 AM

I still think his older stuffs are much better
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 01:19 PM

Reviews: 1

i think The Extremist ws awsome, but i ten dto favoe NOt of This Earth and Surfing with The Alien..cant wait till the 20th anniversary Surfing comes out
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:29 PM

Its really hard to pick a favorite. It all depends on my mood.
The self titled album is cool to relax to. SWTA will always be one of my favorites.
FIABD has some of my favorite pieces on it even tho i don't care much for the stuff with vocals.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 10:45 PM

Strange Beautiful Music has some of my favorite pieces on it (Starry Night and Mountain Song), but I'd have to say that The Extremist is his all around best album. Ten Words was absolutely brilliant though.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

IMO...The 1st 4 albums are 100% Awesome!

Many cool moments here and there in the rest of his Cd's, just seems to be something missing that I can't put a finger on.

Tags
crystal planet , practice amp , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode