Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

Watched the Departed the other day. WOW. I really think this had to be Jack Nicholsons best.
I was really shocked at how great DiCaprio was. He really is a great actor.
After seeing the Titanic, I kida wrote him off. Then he did Gangs of NY and I kinda liked his acting. But with The Departed, he out did himself.

Also watched The Illusionist with Ed Norton. Another top notch movie.
Really surprised me how great the movie was.
Jessica Biel is really a beautiful female.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 08:14 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Saw a couple of great movies recently

we should have a running movie recommendation thread. several people told me to watch the Illusionist... gotta netflix that ASAP. The Departed was an excellent flick i saw that in the theatres ...glen
post #3 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I agree with the recommendation thread.

I use Netflix also and I am always at a loss at what to order next.
post #4 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 08:43 PM
site founder 0% owner

we'll make it this thread ....glen
post #5 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:05 PM

Re: Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

I watched "Stranger than Fiction" the other day, thought it was a great movie, Will Ferrell did a excellent job..
post #6 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I also saw Hollywoodland, with Ben Affleck and Adrian Brody. Great Movie.
It was pretty insiteful regarding the life of the first Superman George Reeves.
The story of his murder/suicide was really interesting.

I'd say watch it, it's worth it.
post #7 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:37 PM
site founder 0% owner

*NO SPOILERS*

Here's a few i recently Netflix'd recently

The Guardian, 2006 (DVD)- coast guard rescue movie... sorta like a top gun without the annoying tom cruise. little rough opening but a good movie.

World Trade Center, 2006 (HD-DVD) - really well done movie... not so much a terrorist/recap movie but a touching story about some rescue efforts based on real life.

Poseidon, 2006 (HD-DVD) - pretty good popcorn movie... nothing great but will hold your attention. i saw the original in theatres as a kid during a double matinee repeat and this one is a decent remake.

Mission: Impossible III, 2006 (HD-DVD). JJ Abrams should have spent his energy on Lost and not this hollywood redux. A mishmosh of a movie really... i don't get what they were thinking.

V for Vendetta, 2006 (HD-DVD) - very well done... not sure what category of movie i'd place this in - almost a superhero type - but mostly intelligent within those confines. if portman acted this good in EP1-3 those movies would have been alot better. that annoying actress almost ruined "Heat" too.

King Kong, 2005 (HD-DVD) the 1933 version is one of my favorite movies of all time and this was a good remake. Atmospheric, took it's time - not the typical hollywood "wrap it up in 10 minutes" plot and made you feel for Kong's as he meets his demise.

Casablanca, 1942 (HD-DVD) - awesome classic had to rent the high def version and it looked amazing.

Dick and Jane - absolute garbage my sis-in law lent me... didn't watch it past the first 40 minutes.
post #8 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post
Watched the Departed the other day. WOW. I really think this had to be Jack Nicholsons best.
I was really shocked at how great DiCaprio was. He really is a great actor.
After seeing the Titanic, I kida wrote him off. Then he did Gangs of NY and I kinda liked his acting. But with The Departed, he out did himself.

Also watched The Illusionist with Ed Norton. Another top notch movie.
Really surprised me how great the movie was.
Jessica Biel is really a beautiful female.
+1 to both. The Departed easily ranks in my top ten... awesome movie, well directed, with excellent acting.
post #9 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 PM

If you like documentaries then take a look at Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.
Don't settle for YouTube clips. Watch it in it's entirety as well as the cool bonus features.
My only beef, it was too damn short.
post #10 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 PM

Reviews: 10
Thumbs up Re: Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

I did not think the departed was all that, it was ok but if you are going to have a role about an Italian mobster please use an Italian!!! Robert DeNiro or Al Pacino would have been a million times better!!!

The Illusionist was pretty good!!!
The Prestige was even better!!!
Fearless was great too!!! (Jet Li's final movie!!!! he is retired now )
The Protector: non stop action and a new Martial arts classic!!!
post #11 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM

I'm also on Netflix, do you guy want to PM our email addys for the 'friends' lists on netflix?
I second The Departed, it was a good series of switchbacks and wondering the whole time. The elevator scene was a cool twist along with a couple other plot developments.

BTW, he weasn't supposed to be Italian, they were an IRISH mob.
post #12 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 AM

i will have to check some of them out. Borat is one that i have not seen but will be buying or getting for my bday i'm sure. i thought "Night at the Museum" was done well. i enjoyed that one. saw it a few weeks ago in the theater. not too big on the new kong movie at all. certain scenes were really drawn out. although there was a lot of scenes and minutes running by, i still feel there was not much character development. when kong died, i couldn't care less. just didn't do it for me for some reason. although the effects were good it couldn't touch the original or even the 2nd one for that matter.
post #13 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

I agree Shredmaster. Night at the Museum was really a good movie.
The special effects were outstanding. Great family movie. Written well enough to keep an adult interested and the kids excited.
post #14 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
*NO SPOILERS*

Here's a few i recently Netflix'd recently

The Guardian, 2006 (DVD)- coast guard rescue movie... sorta like a top gun without the annoying tom cruise. little rough opening but a good movie.

World Trade Center, 2006 (HD-DVD) - really well done movie... not so much a terrorist/recap movie but a touching story about some rescue efforts based on real life.

Poseidon, 2006 (HD-DVD) - pretty good popcorn movie... nothing great but will hold your attention. i saw the original in theatres as a kid during a double matinee repeat and this one is a decent remake.

Mission: Impossible III, 2006 (HD-DVD). JJ Abrams should have spent his energy on Lost and not this hollywood redux. A mishmosh of a movie really... i don't get what they were thinking.

V for Vendetta, 2006 (HD-DVD) - very well done... not sure what category of movie i'd place this in - almost a superhero type - but mostly intelligent within those confines. if portman acted this good in EP1-3 those movies would have been alot better. that annoying actress almost ruined "Heat" too.

King Kong, 2005 (HD-DVD) the 1933 version is one of my favorite movies of all time and this was a good remake. Atmospheric, took it's time - not the typical hollywood "wrap it up in 10 minutes" plot and made you feel for Kong's as he meets his demise.

Casablanca, 1942 (HD-DVD) - awesome classic had to rent the high def version and it looked amazing.

Dick and Jane - absolute garbage my sis-in law lent me... didn't watch it past the first 40 minutes.
Poseidon??? ROTFLMAO

The old one was good but this new version beyond bad. MI:3 was dull dull dull. V for Vendetta was good much better than Matrix 2 & 3.

Regards

André

post #15 of 882 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
I'm also on Netflix, do you guy want to PM our email addys for the 'friends' lists on netflix?
I second The Departed, it was a good series of switchbacks and wondering the whole time. The elevator scene was a cool twist along with a couple other plot developments.

BTW, he weasn't supposed to be Italian, they were an IRISH mob.
I don't remember Costello being an Irish name...

Tags
guitar playing , neil young

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode