Schaumburg Illinois area: Good places for DIY wood work? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 9
Schaumburg Illinois area: Good places for DIY wood work?

I have a problem. I really enjoy making and building guitars and use my balcony to saw and route.

I only work on this stuff 2 or 3 times a week between 6PM and 7PM. Some old lady came up to my balcony and yelled at me to stop. The condo association rules state:

"Hammering, drilling, etc. (renovations) shall be done between 7:00am and 9:00pm Monday through Saturday. No renovations shall be done on Sunday."

So I should be ok.

I get an email a few days later saying:

"Our office has received complaints regarding the loud grinding noise coming from your balcony almost every day during evening hours for the last month or two. Please be advised that even though our quiet hours don't start until 10pm, there is still a courtesy code which does not allow any Resident to disturb others with any kind of excessive noise. As our Rules and Regulations state in "Noise/Offensive Acts Policy", Section 18.5: "Unreasonable noise or disturbances are not permitted at any time. This includes excessive noise on balconies, patios and common areas."

The problem with that is that is not the whole rule...

"Unreasonable noise or disturbances are not permitted at any time. This includes excessive noise on balconies, patios and common areas (i.e., yelling from the parking lot, courtyard, windows or
blowing car horns.)"

Those don't apply to me, but my wood router is damn loud...

Should I fight this? If not, I was wondering if anyone has a wood shop in the Mt. Prospect, Arlington Heights area that I can do my own thing in? I've got my own tools and stuff. Let me know.

Thanks,

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Re: Schaumburg Illinois area: Good places for DIY wood work?

This is the unfortunate reality of living in a condo or apartment complex. They always have old people who have absolutely nothing better to do than complain. I live in a condo building and have one of these people on my floor. Luckily she lives down the hall and I've only been scolded by her once, for not obeying the trash chute rules and putting a pizza box down there. Seriously.

I would speak with the building manager about your concerns. You might be in a tight spot because of the time you're doing it. What you're doing kind of falls under renovation work, which in most buildings is only allowed during business hours. If you were running power tools from 4-5pm, you'd probably be OK. 6-7pm is a bit dicey. You'd probably have to limit your work to Saturdays to really be in the clear.

What you could look for is something that is basically a storage unit, but has electrical power. I just bought a guitar from a guy who used something like this for his band practice area. The west suburbs are absolutely full of industrial areas that might have places like this. I'd check out places like Wood Dale, Elk Grove Village, Bensenville and Mount Prospect.

You could also check Craigslist and look for garages for rent around where you live.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Re: Schaumburg Illinois area: Good places for DIY wood work?

yes i would fight it! i would email them back their rules stating DRILLING permitted up until this time, and that you're before this time! tell them this is how you make your living and since there are no other complaints and you ARE within the timeframes, where is there a problem? condos and townhomes with associations are bastards...failed politicians that have nothing better to do than sit around their little meetings for the village. I used to live in schaumburg and moved further west a few years ago.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode