In search of a mid to full size SUV - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

In search of a mid to full size SUV

So our family is in the process of purchasing an SUV. The men in the family have no problem driving anything, but the women can't see over the dash sometimes, can't reach the pdeals, or sometimes just feel like they're driving a tank. I just need some opinions on what cars to research and take into consideration during this time.

We have currently looked at:

-Lexus GX470
-Lexus LX
-Toyota Land Cruiser

It is also possible that we are considering the following as well:

-Toyota 4Runner
-Toyota Sequoia
-Nissan Aramada
-Infiniti QX56

Our family is in some ways biased as we only purchase Japanese or high end European cars, so our range is limited.

We need an SUV that is:

-Comfortable for the majority of the passengers, specifically targeting sufficient leg room, particularly in the back seat
-Enough cargo room to transport luggage, groceries and/or large bulky items
-Is 4WD because we are avid skiiers
-"Easy to drive" in that it is easy to maneuveur and feel "one" with the vehicle

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 12:55 AM

Re: In search of a mid to full size SUV

Do something for the world - get a Prius.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 04:35 AM

Agree with the sentiments of a Prius BUT in an article in this months Car Magazine in UK research shows that Prius not as green as everyone assumes. Yes great fuel economy etc but when you weigh up production costs/costs of recycling/destroying batteries at end of lifespan Prius not actually that environmentally friendly. Taking all these into account a Range Rover Sport did better
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:57 AM

Reviews: 3

Toyota and Lexus make some great SUVs... but if you're already getting into the Lexus/Infiniti price range, why not look at the Bavarian Motor Works? 3 or 5 series SUV should fit the bill. I think a lot of dealerships still offer free scheduled servicing for life, which is a really nice selling point. Both have AWD, buth have passenger comfort and performance as a priority, neither is so large that is should be cumbersome for any driver...

the only downside to any SUV is if you're looking to haul more than groceries or skis. All of them have carpeted interiors that you have to take care of when tossing stuff in the trunk. It can really hurt you at trade in time if you try to use it like a truck.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Well of course we want to tow things as well, and I will be borrowing it from time to time to haul the band's gear to places as long with the band members inside...

We definitely know that if an SUV should not be treated like a truck, especially since we're considering cars with nice interiors. We use all weather floor mats in all of our cars.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:09 PM

Too bad you are so stuck on European/Japanese SUVS. No chance in buying American? The reason I have asked, is that I myself was in the same position last year. I tried several of the vehicles that you did, and several of the ones you still want too, and I wasn't too happy. On my last venture out, I stumbled upon a 2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate 4x4. After driving it, I was hooked. So many power options, luxury at it's finest. Plus it is great for short people. My GF is roughly 5'4" and she loves it. The power gas/brake pedal is sweet, power running boards, power rear seats, power rear hatch, etc, etc. This thing is loaded. 13 MPG isn't too bad to deal with considering all the comforts of this. I know how you feel about European cars, I drive a Merc, they are sweet, but I tell yaa, I wouldn't buy any other SUV on the market! Let us know what you end up buying either way!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:31 PM

Boo SUV's, Hooray Hydrogen Fuel Cells!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 08:55 PM

what about those Subaru car/suv things? You'll at least get better gas milage, still have 4WD and it drives like a car not a tank..
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 09:28 PM

..... before you get too serious about an SUV, there was a recent article in one of the Scientific mags stating that there is a reasonably good chance that gas will be $4 a liter (and Heavens only knows what that translates to in US$ / gallon!!!) within five years........

oh, and yeah, apparently statistically, at least here, SUV drivers are more likely to be involved in a crash than people driving cars (and even then most people in cars who have accidents are those unfortunate enough to be clobbered by an SUV....)

The Subaru Liberty is a very fine vehicle indeed.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 PM

Nissan Armada is awesome! 4Runners are cool too. NA!!!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:31 PM

Man, you are rich!

Maybe you should check out the new BMW X5 coming out next year (i think). It's a complete redesign and looks beautiful.

How about the Lexus RX400h? It's a hybrid....
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-30-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Well on the bright side, the Infinity QX56 is "fuel flexible" in which it can run off different types of fuel from gasoline to the new "corn fuel". That's always a bonus. We were actually looking into the Chevy Tahoe and GMC Yukon [both the "miniature" version] as well.

The only thing that deterred us from the GX470 and the RX/Land Cruiser was it's massive exterior but miniscule interior. With such a big exterior look, you'd kinda figure there would be lots of cargo space and leg room... sadly this is not the case.

We've limited the options today down to the Chevy, GMC, and QX56. I'll bring up the Lincoln. Basically we need a car with enough power when needed and a family vehicle as well.

We don't want any high end European cars because they're just WAY too nice for the uses we will need it for.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 07:37 AM

Reviews: 3

Don't buy a vehicle based on flex capabilities. It's a huge scam... look into it. I would actually intentionally NOT buy a vehicle if it was a flex-fuel vehicle.

I had a Chevy Blazer for a while and am pretty familiar with all their SUVs. They have nice engines, pretty decent interiors... but most suffer from the "huge exterior, small interior" syndrome. Look at a TrailBlazer for example... you'd be amazed at how much space vanishes when you get inside. The Tahoe is better, but it is also more massive on the outside.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay ratkowski View Post
Don't buy a vehicle based on flex capabilities. It's a huge scam... look into it. I would actually intentionally NOT buy a vehicle if it was a flex-fuel vehicle.

I had a Chevy Blazer for a while and am pretty familiar with all their SUVs. They have nice engines, pretty decent interiors... but most suffer from the "huge exterior, small interior" syndrome. Look at a TrailBlazer for example... you'd be amazed at how much space vanishes when you get inside. The Tahoe is better, but it is also more massive on the outside.
Why is Flex Fuel cars a scam? Brazil has been making nothing but Flex cars now for years and has been doing really well.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-31-2006, 12:27 PM

yeah as long as you are in a area that has the fuel needed for a flex-fuel car it's great. We are getting more stations around here lately and it's so much cheaper. I will say however that things like the fuel filter are costly compared to non-flex vehicles if needed to replace.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode