Shipping a Guitar - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Shipping a Guitar

I just sold my first ever guitar on the bay. Its an RG in a J-Craft case. I've never shipped a guitar and was wondering if any special precautions have to be taken. Can I just throw the case in a box or does something extra have to be done to the guitar in the case?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:43 AM

Re: Shipping a Guitar

Loosen your strings down all the way to remove the tension from the guitar. Remove the strap peg from the end of the guitar if it isn't glued in. It doesn't take much of a hit to split your guitar there. Put crumpled up newspaper or something around the headstock and neck area for support. A guitar's neck can break, (get whiplash), from rough handling even in the case.

Guitars with hard shell cases can be shipped safely without boxing but if your hard shell case is like one of mine, the finish chips or tears off pretty easy just putting it in the car and stuff so I would protect it anyway. Put it in a cardboard shipping carton. If you have trouble finding one, try to get one that a local music store is throwing away from a shipment of guitars that just came in. Add crushed newspaper, padding, etc. around all the surfaces of the case. If you only have a soft shell case, add a piece of plywood to the inside of the carton over the top and bottom of the case. Use fiberglass strapping tape to strap it all up good and tight.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:52 AM

The only thing I would add to the above is check the shipping dimensions carefully for the method of shipping. Some of the older guitar shipping boxes are too long for the new standards used by UPS and USPS. You may have to pay a lot extra for a few inches that aren't really necessary.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Vendor

Never detune a floating bridge, you're just increasing the chances of the trem being blown off the studs from shipping shock.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 01:09 PM

Should a stop-tail be detuned?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Vendor

Take tension off the neck if you wish. IMO adequate padding is much more valuable a precaution than anything else you can do.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 02:34 PM

J-craft case inside an acoustic guitar box with peanuts but it will cost you a little more in shipping. depending on where it's going the shipping company makes a difference, too.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 03:25 PM

Listen to Dino, everything everyone else knows about shipping is wrong.

I usually just put some newspaper in the bottom of the box, then put the case in the fill the rest of the space with newspaper, if I have bubble wrap I will wrap the case in it, and if the box came with any cardboard to hold the guitar upright, I will use that.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:58 PM

Finally some respect.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 01:43 AM

Wink Re: Shipping a Guitar

That beauty is coming to me so be careful!!

I haven't checked in to the site for awhile and now I find I could have scored this for a couple bucks less. No worries still got a GREAT DEAL!! Thanks again!!
But to help you out and maybe myself a bit, I'd planned on doing my "little changes" I got to do to make my Ibanezes work for me when she arrived here. The biggest deal is I'm a 9-46 player and I tune to Eb, so pretty much I'll be taking off the strings and adjusting springs and neck tension accordingly soon after ripping open the box and case. So if it makes you more comfortable taking off strings (pop the trem springs so the bridge doesn't fly off the studs of course) and loosening the neck tension that gives me a head start. If not no worries too, I have yet to have a problem with a guitar shipped to me boxed and in it's case. Dino's or elcid's suggestions completely work for me! I am just really pumped for it's arrival! New TOY!!

Thanks Drew!!

Brian
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:28 AM

Arrived 15mins ago PERFECT! It's really a beautiful guitar in UNREAL condition!! Thanks sooo much man!!

Brian

Tags
acoustic guitar , beautiful guitar , local music store , music store , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode