Shopping For a Camera. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Shopping For a Camera.

This look like a good deal?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_Camera.html

I've been wanting to get a D80 for a while now, but i would like to ask Glen if this a great deal, anyone else have any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 10:28 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Shopping For a Camera.

if you're set on a D80 and are new to dSLR i wouldn't buy that double kit lens to start. It's too much investment in bad glass for a $700 camera. that 70-300 is garbage and very slow (and no IS) combined with Nikons poor high ISO performance that long zoom would be frustrating

i'm not sure if the 18-135 or 18-55 kit is a better choice, it probably comes down to size/weight neither is a world beater and share similar features (7-blade aperature, speed, etc)

quick search shows adorama has a D80 refurb for $100 off FWIW

also if you don't own nikon lenses the canon 30D is a better body and available cheaper now that the 40D is out... glen
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 10:41 PM

I can vouch for Adorama. Glen recommended them, and I bought a refurbished Canon 30d from there recently. Excellent, fast service and I'm real happy with the camera. If you have your heart set on the Nikon here is their page: http://www.adorama.com/Search-Result...d%20By%20Nikon

On page two they have a refurbished D80 (body only) so you can get some better glass and save some money too.

*For some reason that link didn't work. If you just type "Refurbished by Nikon" in to the search box on the page that comes up in the above link, you will find it.

Last edited by Distantshore; 12-25-2007 at 10:49 PM.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
if you're set on a D80 and are new to dSLR i wouldn't buy that double kit lens to start. It's too much investment in bad glass for a $700 camera. that 70-300 is garbage and very slow (and no IS) combined with Nikons poor high ISO performance that long zoom would be frustrating

i'm not sure if the 18-135 or 18-55 kit is a better choice, it probably comes down to size/weight neither is a world beater and share similar features (7-blade aperature, speed, etc)

quick search shows adorama has a D80 refurb for $100 off FWIW

also if you don't own nikon lenses the canon 30D is a better body and available cheaper now that the 40D is out... glen
Define better glass.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 10:31 AM
site founder 0% owner

better glass is simply put a lens that is not just designed to sell to beginners to lock them into a brand/system (ie. nikon or canon or whomever) who don't know any better. those VR lenses are just that. $300 here, $400 here and now you'll never move off that brand (even though the lenses are not a reason to choose a body)

better glass is a lens that can take advantage of a 10MP dSLR which includes better actual optical quality, faster speed at all stops. Not be limited at f/5.6 where the viewfinder will be darker (less light available) and your available light will need to be alot higher for proper exposure nevermind focus.

upon further review that 70-300 does have vibration reduction (is) but that is more a necessity than a feature. like saying a selling point of an inexpensive car is that "it has brakes". long lenses need IS when handled by beginners.

Finally, do you really need a 105-450mm 35mm equivalent zoom lens? i've used SLR cameras for over 3 decades and haven't required that, nor could i think of the circumstance where anyone really would.

start out with one nice walkaround zoom and possibly a prime (non-zoom lens) first. if you're a beginner two super zooms will hurt you in the long run without a doubt... glen
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Right now I'm rolling with an older SLR, it's a film Olympus OM-10. The lenses I have are an Olympus 35 MM, and a Tokina 200mm. I also have an external flash.

Here are a couple shots i took with my camera.

Here are all the shots i have taken.

http://turb0edbaboy.deviantart.com/gallery/

Can you recommend better glass? I have a local store here who only specializes in cameras, and has helped my dad out a lot when he used this SLR, i think i'll go to them also.

Here is the SLR I'm using, my das gave it to me.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 PM

i would recommend also at least one prime lens. this means there is no zoom, to put it simply. these lenses are great and can be had for not too much. i have a canon 35mm F1.8 and love it. when the shots call for it, i use it a lot. i think i got it for $200 or so. photos are very sharp and the lens is very good in low light. better glass means better lens. faster glass means the lens can take better photos in the dark, to put it simply. if you think you will really get into it, save some money and get better lenses instead of buying and selling over and over. you will lose money. fortunately i didn't buy too many lenses before realizing i really only shoot with 3 of my best....sold the other 4. as far as zoom, the most zoom i have really needed is with my 70-200. 200mm is plenty, whether for bands or weddings or nature. i do have the 2X converter making it 140-400 and have only needed it once. it can be expensive but worth it once you get the right lens for your needs.

Steve
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:42 PM
site founder 0% owner

nice pics, those classic SLR & prime lenses are a joy to use. Make sure you get your hands on a D80 a bit before you purchase as it's in alot of ways apples to oranges. keep in mind the two lenses you have 35mm and 200mm on the D80 have 1.5x zoom and lost depth of field so to get that viewpoint on a D80 you need a 23mm and 133mm focal length (35 on the D80 is like a 53mm is on the olympus film body and 200mm is like a 300mm).

my familiarity recommending Nikon lenses is quite limited (i've been on canon FD and EF lenses since the 80s). Local shops are gone here now all replaced by superstores (bestbuy, target, circuitcity). A local camera clubs help alot... so would renting a few lenses.

you're starting totally clean and fresh. what i would recommend is before picking a lens or two first pick a max budget you want to spend immediately and within 24 months for camera gear. then determining some lens coverage you want (do you need a fast prime? do you want one nice semi-wide zoom thats fast? how long a lens do you need (200mm or 300mm film slr equivalent).

problem with nikon as of late is alot of nikon film users left nikon when moving to digital and the new nikon shooters are using the D40kit with nikon AF-S "digital" lenses that don't work on film or full-frame (now that nikon got around to full frame digital) bodies. swiss-army-knife approach approach.

for example, i'd buy the faster shorter Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D over the slightly more expensive Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6 (because f5.6 makes me sick just typing it)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_AF_Zoom.html

there's also some good tamron/sigma wide-zooms for digital bodies (ie. D80, 30D) off brand.

if it were me i'd go to canon and start right up with the 18-55 kit lens, cherry-picked bargain/niche lenses and/or used L glass. if you have a few other lenses in mind post back about them.. glen
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 02:49 PM

i would also recommend the Sigma lenses. they are excellent and half the price of Canon lenses! After realizing what lenses i really shoot with, i went with all Canon. i started with Sigmas and still shoot with a wide angle Sigma. the 18-55 is a great all-around lens to have. that's what i use most of the time.
steve
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

So that lens you linked glen, is a faster lens. Faster lens= better pictures in the dark? Can those sigma lenses go on the D80s?

What would be an ideal set up for me?

I am an enthusiast, if i were to put this in a guitar sense, i do gigs and record.

I would prefer a D80, lenses i would need help with. I took shots during christmas and the 35 mm was to small of a lens for a shot i wanted, but when i went to the 200 mm, it was too much. I need something moderate in zoom range.

Is the VR lens just a overpriced lens? Why would I use a VR lens, i know the VR stops vibration. I've seen my friend use a fish eye lens with his d80, and its a cool little perspective.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 04:00 PM

fish eye lenses are cool but in my opinion a waste of money. you can do the same effect in photoshop to any photo. why waste money on a lens you will only use for a few shots once in awhile (hopefully only once in a while.) put the money towards a lens you will use all the time in my opinion.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 05:51 PM
site founder 0% owner

faster lens = more open aperature for better shots in low light and also more options to use shallow depth of field (blury background) in any light. also generally speaking to get a faster lens you need better design & optics.

ideal setup is based on $. sigma/tamron on a D80 is not a bad idea... glen
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys, I went to go try out the D80, and ended up getting it the same day i tried it,lol. I told my parents lets head over to the camera shop because I wanted try it out. As soon as I began to take shots I couldn't let it go. My parents were fairly impressed by how sharp and tight the pictures were. So they said, "I'm tired of developing your film, let's get you this D80". I told them I could wait, but they said now is the time,lol.

So here's what I got:

Nikon D80
Nikkor 18-200 MM Lens ( It covers both my lenses of my film camera)
Nikkor 60MM F/2 Micro Lens
SB800 Speedlight Flash
Lexar 4gb SD card
and an extra battery.

I have been taking pictures left and right, and my dad, who used to be a avid photographer, said " Stop taking pictures because you might end up breaking it, go do more research on how to use the camera." The funny thing is having a hands on experience is the best way for me to learn, if i dont know what something is the manual is always a great reference. I still need to find what bracketing is, if you guys know, help me out,haha. So my Christmas was probably the best xmas ive had. My next buy would probably be a Tamron Wide Lens, my parents werent to keen on getting the d80 body and just get the tamron and sigma lenses, they wanted everything to match, so i said hey its your choice, i'd be happy with sigma or tamron lenses. But the Tamron Wide Zoom lens is gonna be the next buy.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 01:11 PM

Congrats! Be sure to post up some new pics for all of us!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
site founder 0% owner

congrats & enjoy! if you have any $$$ left adobe lightroom is almost mandatory for you.

you won't "break" the camera so shoot, shoot, shoot and before you start set the camera to RAW mode (not jpg)... glen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode