Should I buy a new guitar for College? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Should I buy a new guitar for College?

I'm moving into dorms in 4 months. I have a GRX20 that I wouldn't mind taking with me, and Fender Mustang 2 amp. But I've had that cheap guitar for so long that I think I might improve playing if I upgrade and get used to a more professional instrument. Should I buy a new guitar? Im thinking of buying the Rg350MP. But I've read that bringing a guitar to dorms could get it stolen or broken, but I plan on keeping it locked in a hard case, hidden away when not in use.

Last edited by Xonipher; 04-18-2011 at 12:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64
Re: Should I buy a new guitar for College?

A more expensive instrument will never improve your playing,a metronome and practicing more..........would.
A good or bad player sounds the same with a good or cheap instrument
In your case I'd practice more and invest on great pups(if you still have the originals)and a really better amp.It doesn't need to be an expensive amp but at least one with a better tone.

And BTW = No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Im happy with my amp though. I'm still debating on whether to bring it along with me due to size. I might just invest in a Pod and some good headphones. But I've taken my guitar apart three times, I've repainted it twice, neck joint is cracked, bridge is uneven, frets buzz and are worn, and it's never been to a luthier. I love it, because it was my first and I went through a lot with it. But just keeping it in tune is a pain.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonipher View Post
But I've taken my guitar apart three times, I've repainted it twice, neck joint is cracked, bridge is uneven, frets buzz and are worn, and it's never been to a luthier. I love it, because it was my first and I went through a lot with it. But just keeping it in tune is a pain.
Let me try to understand your mind.
So with all those "qualities" you still needed to ask if you should buy a new guitar?

lol
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
I've read that bringing a guitar to dorms could get it stolen or broken, but I plan on keeping it locked in a hard case, hidden away when not in use.
A case won't prevent a thief from snagging it. A locked door works much better. Ever hear of insurance? Might be a new concept for you, but a good "renter's policy" will cover anything in your dorm room.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:20 PM

Reviews: 11

buy the 350 like you want to. by the way it sounds, you need it
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:00 AM

Reviews: 3

Buy a new guitar now! Get the best one you can. If you are like 99% of other people just starting college, you are getting ready to be broke for a nice long while. LOL. Get one while the getting is good. Get Rid of your POS, gig bag the new one, carry it around and learn to play the 5- 10 standard tunes that will help you score with the ladies. Good luck, have fun, wish I had it to do all over again...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:58 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermonkey7 View Post
Buy a new guitar now! Get the best one you can. If you are like 99% of other people just starting college, you are getting ready to be broke for a nice long while. LOL. Get one while the getting is good. Get Rid of your POS, gig bag the new one, carry it around and learn to play the 5- 10 standard tunes that will help you score with the ladies. Good luck, have fun, wish I had it to do all over again...
LMAO!!! this is the best advice I've seen on Jemsite in a long time!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
A case won't prevent a thief from snagging it. A locked door works much better. Ever hear of insurance? Might be a new concept for you, but a good "renter's policy" will cover anything in your dorm room.

Sadly this is too true. I would never take anything into dorm I planned on keeping more than a week. Musical instruments and electronics are being stolen at an alarming rate on our university campuses. Maybe buy a CHEAP guitar just for school, bring nothing nice, it WILL be gone. Probably.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 AM

Reviews: 3

Musikron is probably right. Forget what I said. It would break my heart to have a nice ax stolen.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Always buy used.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 AM

I mean, buy the new guitar while you can true, but leave it at the folks house where it will be safe.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 12:15 PM

Bring in the cheapest and most playable guitar u can find and see how long it lasts before it gets snagged.
Always leave an extra guitarcase behind in your room with a paintbomb inside and dont forget to put the sticker on: Caution! do not open!!!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok, So im thinking of buying a RG3EXFM1 then. I live in Texas now, but I'll be leaving to RIT in a couple months. Wouldn't locking the door be enough though?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Ok, So im thinking of buying a RG3EXFM1 then. I live in Texas now, but I'll be leaving to RIT in a couple months. Wouldn't locking the door be enough though?
You'd think so--that's why I mentioned it earlier. If you're that concerned then look into the other option I mentioned--INSURANCE! It's what we adults have on our cars, homes, and property in the event of a distater, theft, etc...The same applies to college dorms:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/insur/20030109a.asp

I'm sure your parents would agree, and maybe just add your college dorm stuff to their existing policy...

Tags
cheap , college , dorm , guitar , ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode