Show your appreciation for...GUITAR HERO! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Show your appreciation for...GUITAR HERO!

it's really suprising that i haven't seen a thread like this, but anyway...

I LOVE this game! it's got guitars, great music, guitar battles to the death, the grim reaper, you name it!

if it were at all possible to actually cut this game, it would bleed concentrated awesome!

theres also this cool loading screen that sais something like "20 minute free-form jazz odyssees are not cool" - I was laughing totally loling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 08:56 AM

Re: Show your appreciation for...GUITAR HERO!

It's kind of cool but I'd rather play a real guitar.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Kinda, but the background music is midi tracks aren't they?
post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Reviews: 18

That game is useless IMO. It would be a real challenge if the game required a guitar equipped with a synth pickup or something to interface with the game. Anyone can learn to press buttons on a make-believe guitar but, when it comes to the real thing, that's a different story.

Jimmy
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:16 AM

I'd rather play Wii Sports and play my real guitars.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:23 AM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp RG View Post
Kinda, but the background music is midi tracks aren't they?
No, they are very accurately made cover versions. In Guitar Hero III, most of the songs are actually the original master recordings that they have seperated the guitar track from. I find listening to these probably as interesting as playing the game because often it gives a whole new angle on the song.

The last song - The Devil Went Down to Georgia - has some ridiculous playing in it. I had never heard of Steve Ouimette before, but he has some serious chops.

I am currently working my way through the last five songs on expert. You know you've been playing too much when you look at the wall and it's moving upwards. Guitar hero ruined my life.

Now I need to try rock band...

P.S. It's a computer game guys, it's no more substitute for guitar is than Wii sports is for bowling. But it's the most entertaining musical game I've ever played, and music happens to be my favourite past time. Lighten up
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:35 AM

Thumbs up Re: Show your appreciation for...GUITAR HERO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post

P.S. It's a computer game guys, it's no more substitute for guitar is than Wii sports is for bowling. But it's the most entertaining musical game I've ever played, and music happens to be my favourite past time. Lighten up

Thats true, I guess it's just my whole attitude about gaming. They are a serious time waster. It's one thing to play a little here and there but many people will sit and play a game like guitar hero for 6 hours straight or more. I can't help but think if you practiced guitar as much you would have acomplished something rather than just eating up hours in a day.
But hey it is just a game and a fun one at that, a form of entertainment and rest and relaxation for some people. Everything in moderation I guess.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
That game is useless IMO. It would be a real challenge if the game required a guitar equipped with a synth pickup or something to interface with the game. Anyone can learn to press buttons on a make-believe guitar but, when it comes to the real thing, that's a different story.

Jimmy
not to knock the game, but i really have to agree. it's so popular but it's just button-pressing. it's like that game at the arcade where you jump on the colored pads as the shapes fall. i have heard a few times from players of this game......"now i know why you love playing guitar...it's so fun." WHAT?! i can't even begin to respond to that statement. i'm sure it's a fun party game and great for hanging out and bonding...but you could substitute anything for a "guitar". you could make it that game where you hit the gopher on the head with a rubber mallet as it comes out of the ground, or you could make it a shooting game or an ironing board with fake shirts....HOW MANY SHIRTS CAN YOU PRESS!!!!!
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:30 AM

Reviews: 1

Johnny doesn't like it.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 AM

It's ok I suppose, but it's just a game of "Simon" with a good soundtrack.

Personally, i'm waiting for GTA IV.

Rock on!
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Show your appreciation for...GUITAR HERO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
I'd rather play Wii Sports and play my real guitars.
My wife went out and bought, for me, guitar hero III for wii, and i was offended. I know all those songs, and the ones I don't know I don't want to know. Why would she buy that for a musician, it didn't make any sense? She told me about it before Christmas, so we wrapped it, gave it to our 9 year old who loves it, but is not playing it quite as much, over the last few days. My son has a red Epiphone mini V, and access to any and all of my gear I'm afraid now he'll be disinterested in learning real guitar because this game makes it so easy to feel cool. I hate the game in my house, whatever anyone else wants in theirs is fine with me. If my son never wants to play guitar, because he's too busy playing baseball with his friends that would be fine...but this is an insult to musicians everywhere. The same way a game called Attorney Hero would be to Lawyers...I know I'm over the top on this one but...
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:53 AM

Reviews: 3

I wonder if the same kind of distaste came up on a dancer's forum when dance dance revolution came out?

That's not real dancing! Its just hitting colours!!!!
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:01 PM

Jeeeesus christ, it's a video game! Chill out!
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 12:35 PM

^^^^yeah, the guitar thing is just another kind of joystick. It has very little to do with music ability and more to do with finger-eye co-ord. My mate has it (can't remember what version) but the backing tracks don't set my world on fire (at all!)
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Show your appreciation for...GUITAR HERO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
Jeeeesus christ, it's a video game! Chill out!
You are right about that, and I don't mean to sound like an ass, but kids today will not have Clapton, Van Halen, Hendrix, or Vai to aspire to be like. Instead they have Britney, Justin, and Rap, as well as having second hand versions in a game that takes very little talent to achieve...they'll also not discover that drive to learn something wonderful, that takes an extraordinary amount of time and patience. Whether that something is guitar, baseball, or painting. I'm not saying people shouldn't buy the game, but for me as a musician/father, I am worried about what habits my son picks up from this, and video games in general. He now likes the song "Schools Out", which is awesome to be able to connect with him on that level, but at the cost of his drive to do anything is depressing. We limit his time and make him sit down and read books, and go outside to play...and why? Because people read books, and interact with the world, it's a good thing...Life is something you live, not experience on a game. I could rant all day on this and I apologize to all those who think I'm a jerk

Tags
air guitar , angus young , backing track , guitar players , guitar playing , les paul , music store , playing guitar , steve vai , van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode