Sleep paralysis - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Sleep paralysis

I had a sleep paralysis this morning. I used to have those when i was a kid. It wasnt the really scary type with all the noises and a feeling of some eerie presence. I just couldnt move my body and everything looked kinda altered. What do you guys think about it? Have you ever experienced it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:29 PM

Re: Sleep paralysis

i used to have it all the time. it sucks. there were a couple of times where i just KNEW someone had crawled into bed between my wife and i. i had to wake her up and ask if she felt it too. scary stuff. i usually get the feelin that someone not nice is there with me. ha ha.

google "old hag syndrome" for some more info about it.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

I did my research already and i remember all those sleepless nights that i had. Just wondering why it happened after all those years, I didnt experienced this in at least 5 years
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 10:45 PM

yeah, that is weird. i never had it until i was 30. ha ha. it started right after my mom died, and continued for about 6 months after. now, its not too often, but i cant seem to pin down what brings it on. all i can offer is a suggestion to leave a light on...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:06 PM

Never had one. I read that people who sleep on their back are more susceptible to have them, which would explain why I've never had one as I have not once ever fell asleep on my back. Sleeping on your side or stomach may get rid of them. I'm kind of curious about what they are like though.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Its kinda weird but i like having them, there is always that weird feeling you get...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 PM

ha ha. weird for sure. creepy while its happening. kinda funny after. ESPECIALLY when you know that there was nothing wrong. just normal body function.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 01:16 AM

I've had it many times, I haven't lately. Its kinda scary, Im glad I dont have old hag syndrome though, that would probably make me more of an insomniac lol
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Sleep paralysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoGiant View Post
ha ha. weird for sure. creepy while its happening. kinda funny after. ESPECIALLY when you know that there was nothing wrong. just normal body function.
Nah! there's more to it than normal body function... I have experienced it many times and I sleep on my back all the time. If it is a body function why the feeling of a presence???
everytime I had them I could have sworn I was not even asleep yet but one thing I can tell you is that I was alone and it was pitch black so the suggestion of leaving a small night light on is recommended. I have seen scientific shows on the discovery channel where they try to explain why that happens and stuff and as much as you want to rationalize it with science there is more to it that meets the eye! In my experience the only thing that ever got me out of that was praying and that was even hard because you can't talk, move or think... it is indeed scary stuff.

My 2 cents.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:30 PM

My landlord got it a bunch of times recently - he was starting to get a little freaked. Supposedly it can happen from sleeping too much?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:43 PM

I've woken up and felt an eerie presence....in my pants.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
I've woken up and felt an eerie presence....in my pants.
Did that eerie presence feel paralyzed?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM

No, but it was definitely stiff.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 PM

from what ive read, its a throwback to when we were more primitive. y'know..sleepin in trees and stuff to avoid predators. when we sleep, our minds are active and our bodies would be too. kinda like how a dog barks and fake runs while theyre sleepin. so, the paralysis thing was meant to keep us from thrashin about and fallin out of the trees. so, the involuntary paralysis, plus the semi awake mind, winds up creating a very stressful situation. you cant move, and you're awake realizing that you cant move.

then, there are some people who believe that they have been abducted by aliens or something and the paralysis is how they keep ya from moving, or even keep you from noticing that you have been taken and brought back. that would explain the feeling of a presence.... all pure speculation.

i vote for the biological paralysis with the conscious awareness idea.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:54 AM

Reviews: 25

I used to get it just as I would fall asleep. Id be passing into the falling a sleep state and still be awake but not be able to move and sometimes found it hard to wake myself up.

I found that sleeping on my back would always bring it on and sleeping on my side it would never happen.

It completly stopped when I quit smoking ciggys and dope.....

Who knows, but im glad its stopped....

Tags
awesome , sleep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

best sleep music?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode