sloppy chops - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

sloppy chops

I have been sitting down lately playing and decided to play standing up. Man my chops where sloppy. Make sure to practice both LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 12:53 PM

Re: sloppy chops

Yeah that's true ... but as time passed by I found my playing is much better standing up than sitting down
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 01:44 PM

Thats damn good advice to anyone looking to start gigging/joining a band for the first time,make sure you practise standing up.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 02:43 PM

When you do practice sittin down make sure you sit up straight and don't hunch up over your guitar, otherwide you'll have to adjust you strap so high when you sand up you'll be able to see through the monkey grip

Ben
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
When you do practice sittin down make sure you sit up straight and don't hunch up over your guitar, otherwide you'll have to adjust you strap so high when you sand up you'll be able to see through the monkey grip

Ben
very true, when I first started playing guitar I felt like I was Tom Morello or Rusty Cooley (They're good enough to where you'd be shunned for making fun of them lol) with how high I had to have my guitar lol, but eventually I moved it further and further down until I found my comfort zone slighty above where my belt would be.

It also true when you're first trying to convert from 6 to 7, I found I had to relearn playing while standing up again. Which I'll probably have to do again when I get an 8.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 05:44 PM

yep i can definitely relate to this. for a long time, i was without a band, just sitting at home recording my own instrumentals. i definitely like to play with the guitar on my lap, with my right pectoral resting in the upper contour. i mean, that's what it's there for right? well once i decided to get back into playing with a band, it was a serious adjustment. it took me about a month to get comfortable playing standing up. and still, i'd say i'm only playing at 90% of my ability standing up, as there are some picking things that i can't do in that position. although i refuse to raise the guitar to where it's choking me, it just feels comfortable right at the waistline. but i like a challenge and eventually there won't be any difference in my playing between the 2 positions.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 08:56 AM

playing standing up is definately the way to go, i mean, you can hang your guitar at the most comfortable height for a start. that and you can fling the guitar about while you're playing, and do all the guitar faces. And if you can't play standing up, then you're buggered if you go to audition for a band or when you play live!

That and it's easier to manipulate pedal boards/expression pedals and the like when you're standing up!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 08:26 AM

I wish i could always play sitting down. I'm so much better.

Tags
expression pedal , expression pedals , monkey grip , pedal board , playing guitar , rusty cooley , tom morello

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

what is "practicing chops"
is kirk hammett sloppy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode