Smoke free :o) - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Smoke free :o)

Finally it's been passed in England that smoking is banned in pubs and clubs...

Get in there!!

No more smelling like an ashtray from work and I may not die of lung cancer like I thought

Hopefully this will save many a life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:45 PM

Re: Smoke free :o)

Cool - next time I visit the UK I'll be able to ~BREATHE~

Oh boy - that is going to piss off a lot of people and will probably hurt the Pub's / Taverns income a bit. You know how people like to smoke whilst drinkin
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:33 PM

About time this came about. Hopefully it'll push smokers to give up.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:40 PM

I bunch of companies around where I am (Detroit) are banning smoking entirely.
You cannot even smoke in your own car on there property at lunch breaks. I agree that smoking in a public place such as a pub or resturaunt is not healthy, but in your own car is pushing it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:45 PM

It was the same for the last company I worked for, and this is going back about 6/7 yeard ago. Smoking was banned at the head office and all branches, including in your car if you were parked on company property. What made it worse was that the smokers would all congregate, no matter the weather, just off company land. It was a total mess with hundreds of butt-ends lying about.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj
It was a total mess with hundreds of butt-ends lying about.
FAG alert
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
Cool - next time I visit the UK I'll be able to ~BREATHE~

Oh boy - that is going to piss off a lot of people and will probably hurt the Pub's / Taverns income a bit. You know how people like to smoke whilst drinkin
True, but at the same time they are still allowed outside to smoke so most pubs (my families included) will be providing shelter and outdoor heaters for them to smoke outside, so hopefully it won't be so bad. Plus we serve food now, so that helps our cause.

At the same time (and I've said it before on here) the pub trade is going downing the toilet in years to come anyway because supermarket prices seem to staying steady (or even dropping in some cases) yet pubs are being made to put the prices of their beer up constantly because of things like wage increases, business taxes going up, etc.

I think it'll kill off some of the daytime drinkers, but weekenders will stay relatively the same, just because young horny people that like to get wasted don't particular care about anything other than beer and women, lol. The older crowd tend to be more stubborn and have a "Don't you tell me what I can and can't do" attitude. They know what they like and thats a cig and a pint, and because beer will be so cheap in comparison a lot will just stay at home and buy beer from the supermarket.

Has anyone any experience with the pub trade overseas? I'd love to know how smoking bans has affected them.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Oh and don't you just LOVE how the Labour government is taking credit for this? It was a public demand thing!

If the government really wanted to get rid of it and save some lives they could just outright ban smoking, but that would stop them from getting tax money to fill their pockets.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 03:22 AM

Reviews: 34

To be honest, if they did ban smoking it would be disastrous for everyone.

Can you imagine how much other taxes would have to go up. There would be a huge black market for cigarettes, which would not be a good thing.

Even if the amount of tax revenue equalled the amount smoking costs the NHS every year (which I suspect it doesn't) it would probably take 20 years for all the people who have been affected by smoking to develop any illnesses and conditions, and probably another 10 to cure and care and care for them. All of that time without the extra revenue from duty on cigarettes.

Apart from all that, alot of the tobacco production is in fairly undeveloped areas (or so I assume anyway) could those people afford to lose what revenue they get from their crops.

Also BAR would lose alot of their sponsorship, and Jensen Button's career may be affected negativley. Come on guys, give Jensen a fighting chance.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe

Also BAR would lose alot of their sponsorship, and Jensen Button's career may be affected negativley. Come on guys, give Jensen a fighting chance.
lol

Yes that is true about the taxes going up, but at the same time it'd put public pressure on the government not to squander the money we do give them.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:00 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249
lol

Yes that is true about the taxes going up, but at the same time it'd put public pressure on the government not to squander the money we do give them.
They would have to fire most of the civil service first.

Smoking does a lot of harm, but tobacco has become an important part of many economies either driectly or in terms of taxation. This is why I am against the legalising of any drugs. I just think that if we start to get tax revenue from such industries, it is very hard to ban their products if a health risk is then established.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Very true.

Look at my beloved snooker it was almost curtains because Embassy had to stop promoting the world championships which meant there was a sh*tload of money to be made up. Now we've got 888.com sponsoring it but we still aren't out of the woods with it yet.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:51 AM

same thing in chicago downtown. signs everywhere...when i get off the train, etc. they are strict...NO SMOKING WITHIN 15 FEET OF THIS ENTRANCE! that is a good thing. it's good for people to help lock it down. many clubs and bars are doing the same. i used to smoke and then just stopped after trying a few times. smoke free for about 8 months now. i can't stand the smell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode