Smoking Ban - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Smoking Ban

Recently, here in TN, a new smoking ban was written into law, prohbiting smoking in all restaurants and bars. However, bars and restaurants with an under-21 age restriction are exempt. As a result, many bars and restaurants have opted to become 21-and-over venues.

Coincidentally, most of these places are where I go with my father to see live music. But now, those of us who are young musicians have virtually no where to see live music. I think it's a preposterous law.

Personally, I'm against smoking (I think it's disgusting), but I honestly don't think much consideration was put into this law before it was passed.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:29 PM

Re: Smoking Ban

Illinois is going statewide with a smoking ban starting Jan 1, 2008, I'm pretty sure Chicago already has one. I'm on the fence about it. I understand its bad for people and having to go outside to smoke isnt that big of a deal, but I dont support the government telling private business owners they cant let customers do something that is completely legal.

Just like smokers choose to smoke, non-smokers choose to go places where people will smoke.
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 PM

I say this being a smoker. It is my habit not yours or anyone elses. That means I will not smoke where you can inhale it. If someone wants in on my smoke they can help pay for the smokes.

I do smoke in my house but have two huges air cleaners/filters running 24/7 in this one room. When on a trip with my family, I don't smoke. When going out to eat we sit in the non-smoking section. As far as those types of bans let the dollar be the decider. If folks don't want to be in a smokey bar they wont visit there.

I am just waiting till I can go on a White House tour and smoke in the bathroom there while singing "Smokin in the Boys Room"
post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:45 PM

You don't neeed to be hanging around in those kinds of places at your age anyway...

Don't they have a band at church?
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:46 PM

Smoking is throuoghly disgusting *gag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Recently, here in TN, a new smoking ban was written into law, prohbiting smoking in all restaurants and bars. However, bars and restaurants with an under-21 age restriction are exempt. As a result, many bars and restaurants have opted to become 21-and-over venues.
This statement doesn't make sense to me. Why would age (any age) make any difference in a public smoking ban?? Here in Denver you cannot smoke in ANY bar or restaurant period (YAY) But they provide a patio, or some sort of outdoor venue. Hasn't hurt business at all and at least I don't go home smelling like nasty smoke. As far as the 21 age restriction, you have to have an ID to drink. Simple as that

That's a rediculous half assed law, waylay. I'm guessing they gave into the pressure from the bar/club owners arguing economic loss to the community

Why even pass it in the first place if that is the case??
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:48 PM

They need to raise the age to be in bars to 25 anyway. That's one of the only places adults can go without kids being there, and even though legal drinking age is 21 amatures can ruin a good buzz faster than the cops.
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
and even though legal drinking age is 21 amatures can ruin a good buzz faster than the cops.
Wow....do you realize how OLD you sound, Cid????
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 07:57 PM

Dude,
I hate when that sht starts happening. I was at a bar last weekend and the *******s were playing Justin Timberlake and **** like that on the jukebox all night. I thought it was going to be cool because when I walked in they were playing Slayer, but I was wrong.

Oh the other hand, the drinking age could be lowered so by the time these schmucks reach 21 they can handle drinking in public places.
post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:04 PM

Lol...so walk up and somewhat calmly explain that you are the mighty Cid!! when they all scatter, drop $ 20.00 into the jukebox and play your tunes. I'm guessing Barbara Striesand/Barry Manelo/Neil diamond, etc...
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
You don't neeed to be hanging around in those kinds of places at your age anyway...

Don't they have a band at church?
Right...everyone goes church to see their favorite local heavy blues and fusion players jam...What's wrong with going to see live music at my age, as long as accompanied by an adult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Smoking is throuoghly disgusting *gag!

This statement doesn't make sense to me. Why would age (any age) make any difference in a public smoking ban?? Here in Denver you cannot smoke in ANY bar or restaurant period (YAY) But they provide a patio, or some sort of outdoor venue. Hasn't hurt business at all and at least I don't go home smelling like nasty smoke. As far as the 21 age restriction, you have to have an ID to drink. Simple as that

That's a rediculous half assed law, waylay. I'm guessing they gave into the pressure from the bar/club owners arguing economic loss to the community

Why even pass it in the first place if that is the case??
Yeah, it really isn't a well-written law. There are a few legitimate bands around here where all of the band is over 21, except maybe a bass player. This situation has forced these bands to stop playing at many venues that have adopted a 21-and-over policy, which in turn hurts the venue in the long run.
post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Banned

smoking ban started here in the uk few weeks ago.if smokings that bad why doesnt the govement make tabbaco illegal.ill tell you why GREED thats why.its the kettle calling the pot black.i hate politians im 38 and never voted in my life.the goverment says you cant smoke in public places,but they give paedos protection in society.sorry if ive gone a bit over the top folks but it boils my xxxx.
post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:20 PM

I believe the root of this ban comes from the pharmaceutical and health care lobbyist. Less patients with illness(plus higher rates), and more drugs for the sheep to take to get off the smoke. Its also has to do with pc bs , because everyone is offended by something. This is the part that bothers me the most, because it can lead into all sorts of "rules". People used to smoke on fuchin planes not too long ago, wheres all the lung cancer patients from that time?
post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 PM

I am gonna start a org I call PooP

People Offended by Offended People.

Join PooP today
post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Banned

no disrespect to folk who dont smoke.but i dont go out now,im not going outside in the snow n rain for a smoke.a beer and a smoke comes cap in hand.
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 PM

The only issue I have with this particular case is the age thing. It should be an all inclusive smoking ban...you don't become impervious to second hand smoke on your 21st birthday.

The only problem I have with smoking bans in general is that there is a need for them...smokers should be courteous enough to not force the rest of us to inhale their habit WITHOUT being mandated. The past 2 states I've lived in have passed the smoking ban and the bars have done nothing but benefit in the long run (granted, the "21" rule wasn't included in either case). People get up-in-arms for a few weeks but eventually realize that it really isn't that big of a deal to walk 20 feet to the front door to smoke.
Closed Thread

Tags
ebony board , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode