So, the human race is doomed - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

So, the human race is doomed

Just when I think people can't get any dumber...

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/50254085

I mean, you could have a stupid ol' JEM with money left over, or you could have tickets to see HANNAH MONTANA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 12:31 AM

Re: So, the human race is doomed

I take it you're not a parent?
You'd be suprised the lengths you're willing to go through just to make a kid happy.
Hell, I stayed in a horrible relationship for way too long, just on behalf of my step-daughter.

And this isn't new news. The same thing happened with the Wiggles or whatever the hell their name is. And there was the Tickle-Me-Elmo escapade.
I actually think it's kind of a beautiful thing. Here's these parents that could use their disposable income on themselves, but instead use it to make their kids happy.
Just my opinions.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 12:44 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

more often than not it's all-too-typical bad, bad parenting.

overindulging kids and setting unrealistic expectations for grade-schoolers serves no purpose whatsoever (to the child), except to set them up to be insufficient adults. The temporary benefit is to the parent, who makes themselves feel adequate by doing such nonsense... glen

ps - sometimes non-parents are more objective and can teach "parents" a thing or two
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
more often than not it's all-too-typical bad, bad parenting.

overindulging kids and setting unrealistic expectations for grade-schoolers serves no purpose whatsoever (to the child), except to set them up to be insufficient adults. The temporary benefit is to the parent, who makes themselves feel adequate by doing such nonsense... glen
Well, I'll concede slightly. I think it varies on an individual level. I'm sure some kids were being whiny brats and told, not asked, their parents that they were going to the concert. And I'm sure some parents did it just because they wanted to brag to other parents about how they got their kids tickets. But I have to believe that there are some parents out there who's hearts are in the right places when they spend a fortune on tickets.
"Let's see, I could get me some new golf clubs or that guitar I want, but instead I'll suprise my daughter with these tickets."
I have to believe that those sort of scenarios happen.
Quote:
ps - sometimes non-parents are more objective and can teach "parents" a thing or two
In my own experience, I have encountered just the opposite. Most non-parents think they know, but they have no idea until they themselves have children. Just my own experience, you mileage may vary.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 01:09 AM
site founder 0% owner

come on... there is experience and common sense. i said sometimes not most of the time.

buying a 3rd grader $3000 tix to some pop tart is as dumb as humans can be... glen
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 AM

I don't know. When I was in grade school my mom got tickets to a beach boys concert. It was the first time I was introduced to music, and I'll never forget it as long as I live. It wasn't too much longer after that concert that I asked for my first guitar.
I'm not saying $3000 dollars is a reasonable amount to pay to introduce your child to a live music experience. That's a stupid price to pay. But the article said the average price was $240. That's much more reasonable (if you have a disposable income). I'd pay that for my child. It's usually the "pop tarts" that get kids started in music, anyway. Not too many of us started out on Zepplin and Sabbath. Well, not anyone my age anyway.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 01:21 AM
site founder 0% owner

but that's the thing... you dont need to go to a concert to be introduced to music.

$240/tix for a gradeschooler entertainment is teaching the wrong values. that's $500 if one parent goes, $750 if both go, $1k if you bring a sibling. i can wager heavily most of these ticket buyers are not independently wealthy.

either way i do believe quickly dismissing what a non-parent says (without giving it thought) to me is counterproductive ...glen
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 01:53 AM
Vendor

My Grandaughter wanted to see her for her birthday. I got up 10AM to Ticketcrapster a pair, they were already sold out. They sold out at presale. I looked on e-bay. $500 was average for a pair of so-so seats. I sent her a gift card for $250 so she could buy what she wanted [just not HM Tix] and told her to join the fan club so she can buy presale tickets next round!
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 01:54 AM
Dee

Rich is a grandad! Way cool!

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 02:22 AM

Who is Hannah Montana ? I mean seriously who is she?
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 04:04 AM

The real crime here is that Ticket Master allows ticket brokers the opportunity to buy and sell the damned things in the first place. I'm also surprised that the law doesn't get involved. Here in Michigan it is illegal to re-sell tickets for more than the face value of the ticket.

The artists don't help either. I have a ticket stub from Van Halen's tour in 2004. $89. I bought seats for the same section in the same arena for this year's tour and the price is $162 each.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TongueShredder View Post
Who is Hannah Montana ? I mean seriously who is she?
If what I heard is right, she;s Billy Ray Cyrus' daughter. So if sht could sht, she would be it.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 06:48 AM

my sister used to watch that show when we had disney channel, thank god we got rid of pay tv -.-
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 06:57 AM

Whats sad is the kids who are true fans of the show are probably missing out because of the insane prices.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 07:04 AM

LOL I like the guy in the article who ran the high heel race on behalf of his boss who has a young daughter! Man, I'll bet he has a suck job if his boss can make him do that sh1t.

Tags
van halen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode