So...I got scammed - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

So...I got scammed

Yeah, yeah, i know i know. Crappy.

The story: I've been looking for a used Macbook off Kijiji, and the going rate for the style i wanted was 700$-750$. So i found a few good ones, called around....no luck. Most were already sold. Then, when I was sick of calling, one popped up. Cool. So, I emailed the guy, asked if he would take 700$, and said I'd be there on Sunday to pick it up. Turns out we wasn't in Toronto, but Kincardine. So I said, cool, just ship it and I'll send a money order.
I sent the money though "Email Interact". It's approaching 2 months....and no laptop. We called the bank, and they had his info but couldn't give us any of it. He had my address, i had his. He lived 5 hours away, wouldn't respond to emails, eventually closed the mail account. The dude even described himself;"i have a goatee with glasses and a orange e-bike" I figured (this was when 4 days ago was his last reply), how the heck will he send emails to me when he sent me his computer?
Well, it was a scam. Now the cops are involved and should be doing something within a week or two.
That was the short version.

So, when we called the cops 2 and 1/2 weeks ago, the cop i get is going on holidays for 3 weeks, so he won't be able to do anything until he's done. He should be back soon. I SHOULD have asked for a phone number.

My rant done.
Needed somewhere to post this.

Last edited by nato101010; 09-06-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:15 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: So...I got scammed

The moral of the story is that you should always meet face to face for purchases of that nature.

Sorry about the whole deal man.

Jimmy
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:28 PM

Reviews: 1

The morality of the story is GET A PC.

Really, you guys in North America are just too trusty. The police on vacation is just the icing on the cake. And here I was thinking Canada was a good place to live in. Sounds more like it has the best of Capitalism and the best of Communism to me.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by einarabelc5 View Post
The morality of the story is GET A PC.

Really, you guys in North America are just too trusty. The police on vacation is just the icing on the cake. And here I was thinking Canada was a good place to live in. Sounds more like it has the best of Capitalism and the best of Communism to me.
u live in north america also just on the west coast of the continent
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-05-2009, 10:47 PM

Craigslist here, there is a guy or group of guys "selling" Sony Vaios at a ridiculous price, all supposedly new, and they keep changing their website name and email addresses.
As tempting as the deal sounds, you know damned well they are completely preying on peoples greed and desire to find the cheapest deal.

It sux you got screwed, best of luck, and I hope you can catch the guy.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 12:40 AM

Reviews: 7

never ever send money order bro, no metter what, always try to use credit card, that way you can do charge back.
sorry man.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 03:38 AM

Reviews: 22

Hi, my name is Clint and i was scammed over the internet...

"hi clint"

Stay on the police on this one, ask the perp for some more details so you can at least get a good mock up drawn up.

Orange e-bike.........wow.

best of luck.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAIBANEZ View Post
never ever send money order bro, no metter what, always try to use credit card, that way you can do charge back.
sorry man.
"Email Interact" was using a credit card, I didn't send a money order.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 10:59 AM

N-n-n-n-nasty.....

Hope you get your money back
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 11:21 AM
dex

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
"Email Interact" was using a credit card, I didn't send a money order.
Call your CC company and they will charge the money back and it will no longer be your problem.
You should have called them a month ago.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-06-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Call your CC company and they will charge the money back and it will no longer be your problem.
You should have called them a month ago.
They can't do anything, already tried....about a month ago.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 12:18 PM

i hope you get this resolved man. i don't have too much faith though, but hope i'm wrong. there are scammers everywhere especially in this economy. if it's too good to be true, it usually is. i don't buy anymore unless it's right from the mnfr or reputable place...so i pay full price...at least i will have a product. i don't deal with evilbay anymore...got scammed on that too. long story short, i sold an item, buyer said it was defective...it wasn't. he said he wanted his money back, i said fine, send the item back. he said he sent it back but i never got it and couldn't supply me with a tracking number. paypal took his side, refunded him, taking money from my account. i still have no product and no money. i spent hours on the phone with paypal and evilbay and they took his side. there is no proof, no tracking number, i never signed for a package, they don't care. it's not worth it. this was about 10 months ago. good luck.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
i hope you get this resolved man. i don't have too much faith though, but hope i'm wrong. there are scammers everywhere especially in this economy. if it's too good to be true, it usually is. i don't buy anymore unless it's right from the mnfr or reputable place...so i pay full price...at least i will have a product. i don't deal with evilbay anymore...got scammed on that too. long story short, i sold an item, buyer said it was defective...it wasn't. he said he wanted his money back, i said fine, send the item back. he said he sent it back but i never got it and couldn't supply me with a tracking number. paypal took his side, refunded him, taking money from my account. i still have no product and no money. i spent hours on the phone with paypal and evilbay and they took his side. there is no proof, no tracking number, i never signed for a package, they don't care. it's not worth it. this was about 10 months ago. good luck.
sssshhhhh thats a disgrace.ive been scammed twice buying from the net,but lucky it was only items worth 10-20.still evilbay did nothing what so ever to help me.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 03:18 PM

yeah, i was out about $750
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
yeah, i was out about $750
ouch.man thats got to hurt,sorry to hear that bro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode