So tired of working for others! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

So tired of working for others!

i have been thinking about this more and more, having been through 5 layoffs in the last 10 years due to hostile takeovers and mergers. it's never a good time for a layoff, now has to be the worst. after talking with a lot of different vendors in the wedding industry, i have been thinking about getting into a storefront for my wedding photo/video biz. although our home is nice and new, there may be possible clients who don't take it seriously...it's unfortunate.

i met this video guy, who partners with his wife, during a wedding last week where we were doing photography. they're getting 5-6 gigs a month and have to turn down work. only been in the biz for 3 years! she was a kindergarten teacher and he was in nature forestry or whatever. they used to meet people in their home and coffee shops, like me, but when they bit the bullet and opened the strorefront they saw 60% increase right away....they were taken more serisous. they're shooting in all HD and have the best gear...it was upsetting to us they were able to leave the corp. world and live pretty well doing what they love.

would be nice to have a place with multiple photos on the walls with looping video on a couple small flat panel tvs with some wedding albums scattered on the front coffee table.

i know nothing is a promise and it's a huge sacrifice and scary ride. nothing is guaranteed, but i'm feeling limited and want to try something else. any thoughts from those of you who have done this? if i were to try it, it would take awhile i know, and i would have to find someone to hire to sit in the place and deal with people as they come in. there is a lot of planning, location, etc. i'm looking for ways to take it a level higher. i'm so tired of being out of work due to other's decisions and hostile takeovers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:58 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: So tired of working for others!

saw a guy in starbucks this week selling himself for video/photography of a wedding. He did nice work (alot of MTV-video-like editing which is normal nowadays on the video) but you'd have to think he wastes alot of time driving around to meet clients. i this specific case he lives an hour away!

with the storefront, the thing is it requires a sizable upfront investment. the store you rent is 4 walls and maybe decent floors. you need to do basically everything... renovate, get furniture/desks, get permits, get a business license, register your business, biz insurance, decorate, outdoor lighted sign, establish hours, phones/internet, etc. if you didn't overburden yourself with the new house and can afford this new fixed, monthly expense then it's something to consider.

it goes against your nature but i'd actually THINK about this not be impulsive about it ;-)

That said here is a model to consider.... we have a local (well established) landscaper here who uses a small storefront in town (busy area, good foot traffic) with a looping video playing on a large flatscreen in the window... uses it for consults by appointment. Depending on costs that approach could be somewhat cheaper then local advertising in papers/magazines. You might want to consider that approach (as opposed to a 12-8pm we're open, walk-in store).

One huge benefit is you could also use the store as a STUDIO to shoot indoors w/ full lighting rig. You could also go there and get away from the family because most signficant others have no respect for "work" done at home from what i hear and witness first hand.

the only reason NOT to do the storefront IMHO is if you can't swing the monthly cost and/or won't commit to making it work (ie. want it to remain more a hobby where getting business is a nice luxury but not crucial to the survival of the business).

good luck... glen
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:59 AM

I think you should go for it.
But first and foremost , get a good CPA. He will save your ass.

He can also help you put a business plan together and a budget, in case you want to finance the business thru a bank.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

great points. glen, that is very true...lots of upfront stuff. and i'm sure it is more than i think. and you're right...too much with the house mortgage, etc. i'm selling some lenses off, along with a couple guitars and anything else i can find that i won't use too much in order to pay some debt off...time to clean house! with that said, i like your idea of the landscape guy...i'm assuming it's not a walk-in place, but just a window. i wonder where i can find that....would be a good next step. but when i do this for real, it will be for real, not as a hobby thing...maybe partner up with one of my guys or something; pool resources. thanks again.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:45 PM

If you're seriously considering a storefront, partnering with a video firm would be a no brainer.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:50 PM

If I were you, I'd take pictures of boobs.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:54 PM

Then email them to me. Big ones too. Poster size.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Big ones too. Poster size.
The pics or the boobs??
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 01:59 PM

All 3
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:03 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Steve does video too so that would be a problem.

If he could find someone doing wedding related stuff or something artistic not related to photo/video that would be possible to to share a store. For example a friend of mine is starting up a biz (in NY) doing customized photo art/cards. could share the studio space, internet account, utils, etc.

I wonder if this was considered but he might see his addy is zoned for residential only or business too as then a small addition could house the business with separate entrance (not a storefront but more a studio atmosphere). Would be attractive to clients and alot cheaper than a retail rental. would eliminate alot of utilities... glen
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Elcid, i really do love the boobs idea but it may not go over well here at the house; back to the drawing board.

as far as the separate entrance, the only thing i can do is get the basement finished with a nice office area down there, along with my recording studio too. right now the office is in the loft. the basement would work out well but eventually down the road a storefront for passers-by would be ideal in order to be more visible and "pro-looking." the next step i'm going to take will be those magnetic square adverts on the car. creative marketing is what i'm after. there have been times where i thought i would let the video portion go away. i don't advertise much for it and have it as an add-on if someone asks. i wouldn't mind partnering with a video guy and me only doing photography...that could be an option to at least boost myself for a time...good idea.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:19 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: So tired of working for others!

Hey cid are you going green for earth or what?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:21 PM

That's what Im trying to figure out, I was told to green up my avatar. Hopefully it's not an environment thing, otherwise I may have to stomp a bald eagle or start a tire fire or something.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:39 PM

Is this a new fad - to not capitalize the first word in the sentence?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 02:49 PM

My friend is actually in the same type of dilemma, he's making awesome money teaching out of his basement. He even hired a tech so he could handle repairs there. He's considering a store front, mainly so he could add more teachers, and get into buying and selling used gear, but he hasnt figured out if the overhead is worth the extra money he could bring in.

Tags
guitar shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode