So you think Fedex is better than UPS? ;) - Page 3 - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:17 AM

Re: So you think Fedex is better than UPS? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_UV777 View Post
but can I have it?
I call dibs on the tuner and pickups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:19 AM

This is excatlythe reasonm I havent bought Guitars to some jem site member, shipping to Mexico is like playing russian roulette!, I bought a Mesa boogia and It arrived with 3 broken tbes and the big 6L6 out their sockets....how hard must they drop it to unplug them....

My BRMR is going to be hand Picked in L.A...I wont dare to recieve it as a broken lump..insurance or not....
post #33 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Rhoads View Post
This is excatlythe reasonm I havent bought Guitars to some jem site member, shipping to Mexico is like playing russian roulette!, I bought a Mesa boogia and It arrived with 3 broken tbes and the big 6L6 out their sockets....how hard must they drop it to unplug them....

My BRMR is going to be hand Picked in L.A...I wont dare to recieve it as a broken lump..insurance or not....
Then again, I have had 4 guitars sent from the US to Australia, generally by USPS, and all of them arrived still in tune, let alone undamaged, so to a degree I guess it's also luck.
post #34 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Vendor

I've shipped and/or received somewhere between 4-5000 guitars and outside of some case dents and inevitable neck joint finish cracks, I had a long drop that cracked a top in a JPM. Not counting the idiot packing with a 3 layer newspaper wrap on an uncased guitar, or a flat cardboard wrap on another that snapped a neck, those can't be blamed on anything but the idiots. IMO that's a pretty good record.
post #35 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 AM

damn that sux! definately trauma / shock. regardless of who the carrier is that can happen. i had ordered a new ESP lynch sig. model years ago brand new....delivered via ups. my bass player went to the UPS hub to pick it up for me. he came back with no guitar. he said he refused shipment, being there was barely any box around the guitar case and the case was all cracked up. he didn't see the guitar but i can only imagine. so i never owned an ESP, and i'm fine with that.

speaking of fedex, i sent a couple DVDs to a client over the summer. i sent it 2-day; it took 4 weeks to get there. i haven't used fedex since.

steve
post #36 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've shipped and/or received somewhere between 4-5000 guitars and outside of some case dents and inevitable neck joint finish cracks, I had a long drop that cracked a top in a JPM. Not counting the idiot packing with a 3 layer newspaper wrap on an uncased guitar, or a flat cardboard wrap on another that snapped a neck, those can't be blamed on anything but the idiots. IMO that's a pretty good record.
Rich, so did they cover it? usually UPS drags their feet or denies it
post #37 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:48 AM

Those pics are painful to look at
post #38 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM

Some companies will damage stuff by crushing, others by shock damage. I've received guitars from UPS in crushed boxes that were themselves undamaged, and once I sent a guitar through USPS that arrived without a nick on the carton, but the piezo bridge shattered (they're usually pretty good, though). It's a gamble.
post #39 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:01 PM

Reviews: 1

Gives new meaning to the term "Drop shipped"

It looks like they just shoved it out the back of the plane as they passed over the terminal. Best of luck with that claim. That is sick to look at.
post #40 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 12:12 PM

Bet it's in "dropped D" tuning

(some-one had to say it )
post #41 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Vendor

UPS never settled that claim. That was in the dark days of UPS claims, they've loosened up the purse strings a little lately, after they trippled what they charge for insurance.
post #42 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 1

Think about how many times it takes a guitarist on stage to break a guitar neck? Usually a couple GOOD swings, maybe more. I've seen Yngwie take a good 5-6 hits on his live 85 video, and they looked pretty hard. Vai, the same, a good 3-4 hits b4 the neck snapped. That thing took a serious shot, Rich is probably dead on in his analysis, it fell from 20-30 feet up and landed on the corner of the case you see dented in.

Unreal.
post #43 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Bet it's in "dropped D" tuning

(some-one had to say it )
lol, nice one.

But OUCH!!
Thats a seriously bad case there. Such a tragedy to such a nice guitar as well.
post #44 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:46 PM

Wow that is some damage... I had a friend who worked at UPS, and told stories everyday of the crazy stuff that went on during the unloading of truck and reload for the routes.... he would say some items that were to heavy would get fork dropped onto other packages.. and crush them

He also onetime got burned by acid... and knocked out by a small box of ball bearings... heheh those were the days.
post #45 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 01:47 PM

So will you have to attempt to resurect this Rich?
Or is some of it un-salvageable?

Last edited by the.godfather; 12-07-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Tags
guitar shop , neck joint , neck pickup , piezo bridge , randy rhoads

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode