Social media no longer just for kids? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Social media no longer just for kids?

Stumbled on this Forbes articles about how high net worth individuals use social media more and more now. Definitely worth a read. I had always just assumed the only people using social media avidly were teenages taking inane selfies

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnramp...-social-media/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-29-2014, 07:53 PM

Re: Social media no longer just for kids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Stumbled on this Forbes articles about how high net worth individuals use social media more and more now. Definitely worth a read. I had always just assumed the only people using social media avidly were teenages taking inane selfies

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnramp...-social-media/
Hell, The President takes 'inane selfies' now.......I don't see the need.
Only picture I ever put up of myself was the one I sent to Rich, and even that came off of my Onedrive as soon as he saw it.
I don't want my pictures out there for people to see or distribute.
I know, that was totally off topic, but it's true; more and more 'adults' and 'high profile' people are all over Facebook and Twitter.
It's an epidemic.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Nowadays people don't send telegrams or write letters... they communicate electronically. And the how changes rapidly. That is not an "epidemic" just adapting with the times much like people started using electricity & light bulbs - not candles - solve the problem of darkness brought by sunset. ;-)

That said, social media is probably the worst description ever for viral marketing. Advertising on the internet in ways not stuck on google ad-sense & banner ads.

i think social media has NOTHING to do with sharing info of yourself on facebook/twitter/instagram though... selfies or pics for friends to see as mentioned above ...glen
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
Nowadays people don't send telegrams or write letters... they communicate electronically. And the how changes rapidly. That is not an "epidemic" just adapting with the times much like people started using electricity & light bulbs - not candles - solve the problem of darkness brought by sunset. ;-)

That said, social media is probably the worst description ever for viral marketing. Advertising on the internet in ways not stuck on google ad-sense & banner ads.

i think social media has NOTHING to do with sharing info of yourself on facebook/twitter/instagram though... selfies or pics for friends to see as mentioned above ...glen
I see your point, I just don't feel comfortable posting pictures of myself, or my friends, anywhere.
Even if you set all your settings to 'private', there's still a chance, however small, that your pictures will end up in places that you don't want them, or can be used against you in some way if your foolish enough to post pics of yourself/friends doing really 'stooooopid' things.
When I said, "It's an epidemic', I actually 'misspoke', I should have said, "It's getting a bit out of hand."
I've seen pictures of friends doing stuff that could get them arrested. They thought nothing of posting really incriminating photos of themselves......or pictures that would make Ron Jeremy blush........one friend, as a teen, didn't think about the fact that her parents monitored her Facebook account and, well, let's just say she regretted several pictures that she posted.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 01:59 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Some people are comfortable, some aren't, there is no right or wrong in that. The only wrong is if you think you are comfortable using online networks but then create a problem for yourself because you are not in fact ready & prepared.

I think nowadays with everyone being aware of social media, younger people will understand the ramifications of doing foolish things for the world to see. Kids learn about that in 3rd grade nowadays whereas the ones causing problems for themselves are the early users so to speak... glen
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:34 PM

Forbes is arguably five to seven years late to the party here - social media HASN'T been "just for kids" for a long time now. Twitter and Instagram have proven themselves to be a legitimize, if imperfect, news source, my Mom has been on Facebook for a couple years now to stay in touch with her family, and I get at least one or two recruiters contacting me on jobs over LinkedIn every month. And, bigger picture, I'm not even THAT active on social media.

It's the internet. People use it to exchange information. Social media is just another aspect of that.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 10:13 AM

Yeah, it's not all bad. My kids talked me into getting on facebook a couple years ago. It was actually really cool running in to old friends from childhood and school, keeping in touch with people, seeing what my kids are up to...

That being said... there is a ton a junk on there to wade through if you just want to browse around and see what everyone is posting. Some people post what they are going to fix for breakfast?? Sometimes it's life changing events... you can spend hours dinking around on there. In the end I decided my time was better spent behind my guitar. I just check in periodically, or if I receive something important it will go directly to my email, so I know to check it out...

"Kyle Boyd" in Topeka, KS on there... fyi.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Yeah, it's not all bad. My kids talked me into getting on facebook a couple years ago. It was actually really cool running in to old friends from childhood and school, keeping in touch with people, seeing what my kids are up to...

That being said... there is a ton a junk on there to wade through if you just want to browse around and see what everyone is posting. Some people post what they are going to fix for breakfast?? Sometimes it's life changing events... you can spend hours dinking around on there. In the end I decided my time was better spent behind my guitar. I just check in periodically, or if I receive something important it will go directly to my email, so I know to check it out...

"Kyle Boyd" in Topeka, KS on there... fyi.
I'm still trying to figure out why so many people post pictures of their food.......I know what pizza looks like (though, around here it sucks) so I don't need a picture of it.
A picture of your kid(s) doing something cute; sure......or vacation pictures.....but I really don't need to see that 'Sloppy Joe' oozing over your plate.....
Now I'm hungry.

Last edited by Meechy; 05-02-2014 at 01:31 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 PM

No doubt... Although I should have taken a picture of my dinner a few nights ago. Fresh crappie and bass that we caught last weekend... along with a seasonal delicacy of Morel mushrooms that we picked down at the creek by my house. Mmmmm... a dinner way too god for a king.

Wait, no... my insurance company would probably see me eating fried foods on Facebook and drop my policy.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 03:51 PM

I've been using social media to keep track of products or manufacturers I like, as well as bands and artists I like. It's a nice source of information that way. All there for you, with your friends also helping in sharing that sort of stuff when they hit like etc.

I've also used it for promotion of my photography and photo retouching business. Which up until recently was easy to do, and beneficial. I was able to reach those that wanted my business but didn't yet know I existed or even know they wanted to pay someone to do what I do for them. FB have changed the rules though, so my reach is now 5% of what it use to be, and will remain that way until I pay them money to increase that reach (which isn't worth it atm).

It's also good to feel like you're a part of the lives of those who you were once close to, but have moved away...and life has it that you wouldn't pick up the phone to catch up with them anyway due to distance or cost, or the worry that they're busy with their new life and family. But you can see from a distance that things are happy, so you become happy for them. Or you see they need help, and can then pick up that phone.

It's also the best thing for those that require external gratification. If you're one of those types, and someone hits that like button on your photo or link, you'd probably smile big....on the flipside you might get depressed if no one clicks like or comments. lol.

Facebook has evolved over the years, also. It's most definitely changed from when it was University-invite-only, where you had to have a college email address, and know someone who was a part of FB and could send you an invite. There were much less adverts, and it was more about the people, what they were doing, or who (lol), than "products". It'll probably change again.

Tags
forbes , rayat , reyat , social media

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode