Software..um.."sharing, lending, borrowing, downloading" - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

View Poll Results: Software sharing. Games, programs, what ever.
I've done it, I do it. Don't care. 17 58.62%
I've done it. But am not doing it again. 8 27.59%
Never done it. But I do need an expensive program and might. 1 3.45%
Never have, never will. 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Software..um.."sharing, lending, borrowing, downloading"

My son has friend that is wanting him to download emulators. I'm telling him absolutely not. Also, he need MS Excel for a computer class, and a friend has offered to install it for him on his laptop. I told him, NO WAY.
The temptation is always there. The files are easy to get, easy to share, and it's not like you where going to buy it and now you're not, they aren't losing any money from you, right? But still. I think it opens a door to "acceptance". It opens the door to that "grey area" that's easy to overlook and just do it anyway.

Best to stand your ground on this one though I think.

Found here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/help/entry.html?cat=24
Quote:
GameFAQs Help : Game Piracy: ROMs and Warez

What is "Warez"?
Warez" is the generic term for copyrighted computer software that has been stripped of any copy protection or "cracked", and made available for distribution by software pirates.
What are ROMs?[/red]
ROM stands for "Read Only Memory", a type of computer chip that permanently stores data. In the world of game piracy, it generally referrs to the ROM(s) of a video game cartridge that have been transferred to a computer file.

Is it legal to make a copy of a game I own?
Yes. U.S. Copyright laws allow you to make one backup copy of software you own. However, that backup copy is "tied" to your original. If you sell or give away your original software, you must destroy your backup copy or package it with the orignal when you sell or give it away. Likewise, you may not sell or give away your backup copy without the original.

Of course, with the advent of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), breaking the copyright protection on a piece of software you own has been made a crime in many cases, so if the software you are backing up implements copyright protection, it may also be illegal.

Is it legal to download a copy of a game I own?
No. Even if you own the original game, you are not entitled to download a copy of it. Copyright law clearly states that the only copy of software you are entitled to is the one you make yourself.

Is it legal to allow others to download my copy of the game I own?
No. Distribution of copyrighted works without permission of the creators is a violation of copyright law.

What about "homebrew" or Public Domain games?
Once a game or other software title is released into the Public Domain, it's legal to be downloaded, used, and mis-used by anyone, anytime, anywhere. However, you'll find that in practice, very few commercial games are ever released to the Public Domain.
What about the "24 hour rule" that says I can try out copies for 24 hours before deleting them?
The "24 hour rule" is a clear example of why you should never take legal advice from software pirates. There is no such rule; downloading a copy of copyrighted software not intended for distribution is always illegal, no matter how long you have it.

If a game company goes out of business, are their games free to download?
No. When a company goes out of business, more than likely their intellectual property assets (including the copyrights to all of the software they created) are going to be sold to a creditor or to a third party. For example, the rights to all of the classic Atari games (Dig Dug, Tempest, Lunar Lander) have been sold and resold countless times over the years to various companies (Time Warner, Midway, Hasbro), and are now in the hands of Infogrames, who have even revived the Atari label.

What is "abandonware", and is it legal?
Abandonware is a generic term for software titles that are no longer available for purchase from any source, usually computer games that are several years old. While many software companies turn a blind eye to their distribution at this point, it is still a technical violation of copyright to distribute or download copies of "abandoned" games.

Are emulators legal?
Generally, yes. In 1982, precedent was set in the landmark Coleco vs. Atari case where Coleco produced an Atari 2600 emulator for the ColecoVision. Even recently, Sony was unable to prevent the distribution of the PlayStation emulator "bleem!". However, there have been emulators that used copyrighted BIOS code internally; those have generally found to have been illegal when distributed with that BIOS.

Are mod-chips legal?
Maybe. Maybe not. The DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 199 included specific language concerning attempts to disable copyright protection. Additionally, some mod-chips contain copies of the original BIOS for the console, making them obvious copyright violations. For the most part, console makers are more successful than not in shutting down mod-chip distributors and makers.

Do ROMs and Warez really hurt the video game industry?
Yes. The IDSA (a US-based trade group of game makers) has reported an estimated loss of $3.2 billion in 1998 alone. Of course, this is an estimate based on the number of copyrighted programs illegaly distributed, and not the actual loss from non-purchased software; not everyone who copies a game would buy it if they had the money. However, there is definitely an impact to the bottom line for both console makers (who collect royalties from software sales) and game developers and publishers when games that are available for sale are illegaly distributed for free.

What will happen to me if I download copyrighted games?
Probably nothing. Game makers tend to be much more concerned with the illegal distribution of their titles, not so much with the people who download them. The gains of going after individual software pirates would be far outweighed by the legal cost and bad publicity stemming from doing so. Still, you should bear in mind that you are violating the law, and there are penalties for doing so should the companies in question decide to take action

What will happen to me if I distribute copies of copyrighted games?
Posting illegal copies of games on a web site for download could result in the loss of the web site, and maybe even your Internet conncetion; most ISPs have specific language prohibiting this. For larger-scale operations, the IDSA or your local trade groups could become involved; once you reach a certain level of distribution, the penalties can even include jail time.

Last edited by Darin; 10-13-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Re: Software..um.."sharing, lending, borrowing, downloading"

I have never purchased an album before in my life except for best of van halen. \m/
Didn't pay a dime for my OS or any its programs either. Some of use don't have money to through away...
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 PM

Your not a cop are you???
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm not a cop. Just wondering if peoples values, such as, they wouldn't steal a "thing" from someone. Like something they'd have to hide in their pocket and walk out with. If they extend those values to copyrighted software as well. Or if they have a grey area they can peacefully live with when it comes to software.

Just making conversation brother.

Why do you ask, do you have something to hide?
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by callen3615 View Post
I have never purchased an album before in my life except for best of van halen. \m/
Didn't pay a dime for my OS or any its programs either. Some of use don't have money to through away...
I'm trying to make sense of the "money to throw away" thing. Do you not pay for food and gas and clothes as well? Just wondering if you "through" away money on those things too.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:09 PM

Haha no. I do have values and morals. am quite religious and the fact that do this has not bothered me...thats not a good thing either
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
I'm trying to make sense of the "money to throw away" thing. Do you not pay for food and gas and clothes as well? Just wondering if you "through" away money on those things too.
hmmmm
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
well i am just a kid going to college, and making minimum wage. i save were i can. I see no victims thats all... not that there might not be some, just dont know of any.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

The first step is the hardest. Admitting your a lowdown dirty thief is just the beginning. Just don't click on "that link".

I'm just kidding.

But really. Just think about it, that's all I'm suggesting. Whether it's a value or a moral, you decide. I'm not here to judge anyone. And I really didn't think much of it myself, until my own son wanted to download some "software". I do have an immovable position on it now.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM

thats great. stand up for what you believe. If your question was is it wrong, the answer is yes.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
I see no victims thats all... not that there might not be some, just dont know of any.
I can think of a couple. The millionaire CEO's of software co's. But also shareholders as well I guess. Not sure how much public stock is floating around in software co's. I imagine there must be some. And share holders retirement funds could conceivably be affected by say, .00000006% maybe. I don't know what victims there might be. Except the kids who do it, and thinking there is nothing wrong with stealing. Software piracy is a "gateway" crime. Today: Super Mario Emulator. Tomorrow: Politician.
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 PM

Depends. I have a lot of emulators because you cant get a lot of those old games I grew up with very easily. Usually I will download music and if I like it I will buy the album if not I'll delete it. If he needs Excel for school, ahve him get Open Office, it's free and awesome. I believe ver 3 was just released today.
post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Depends. I have a lot of emulators because you cant get a lot of those old games I grew up with very easily. Usually I will download music and if I like it I will buy the album if not I'll delete it. If he needs Excel for school, ahve him get Open Office, it's free and awesome. I believe ver 3 was just released today.
Yep, I told him we need to download Open Office, we had 1.6 or something like that. We are on dial up at home. We'll have to take the laptop to a coffee shop or something.
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 PM

As far as gateways to a slippery slope is concerned, not once have i participated in any crime outside of speeding...LOTS OF SPEEDING, and the subject mentioned above, and nor I ever will. Not once have i smoked anything, drank anything, or engaged in any sexual acts. NEVER! So I do consider myself to be of the higher moral fiber of society
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Not once have i smoked anything, drank anything, or engaged in any sexual acts. NEVER! So I do consider myself to be of the higher moral fiber of society
Hmmm, I consider you to be of the more boring fiber of society

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode