Some fall photos - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 3,467
Some fall photos

Well I'll keep the photo stuff going. Here are some fall photos I took recently. I find landscape photos very difficult but I'm trying to get better.










Rotti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 1,398
Re: Some fall photos

Yarrr, oi be greatly loikin the birrrd and the forest...
dannymills is offline  
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kuwait
Posts: 402
Re: Some fall photos

The first one is amazing, and the moon is beautiful too. Nice man, keep it up.
Yousef is offline  
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 PM
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South East England
Posts: 631
Re: Some fall photos

very nice, i like the second one best. I would have used a slightly faster shutter on the first though, good work anyhow.
sanitarium is offline  
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 05:24 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: london,uk
Posts: 6,512
Re: Some fall photos



That bird is a bad ass dude His expression is like "What the F**K you lookin' at!"
andy7jem is offline  
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 06:54 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Teesside UK
Posts: 973
Reviews: 10
Re: Some fall photos

the Bird is locking on target for poop dispatch!

nice photos, how do you get the moon so detailed, when i take a photo of the moon i End up with a tiny white dot
richard1973 is offline  
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 07:15 AM
 
JJEMMER777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 8,373
Re: Some fall photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I find landscape photos very difficult but I'm trying to get better.
I dunno how much better you could get than you already are, Rot!! You're a fantastic photographer!!! National Geographic quality


Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1973 View Post
the Bird is locking on target for poop dispatch!
YEP Seagulls are notourious for poop letting on human targets!! I learned that the hard, messy way
JJEMMER777 is offline  
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 3,861
Re: Some fall photos

Absolutely beautiful photos! Can you tell us newbs what settings you used? Especially on that waterfall. I know you are using a slower shutter speed to get that fluid motion right?
Distantshore is offline  
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 3,861
Re: Some fall photos

Heres one I shot with my new Canon Rebel XTI. My neighbors daughter (shot and used with permission of course) 1/250, f/5.6. Still new, so pointers/critique is welcome and appreciated.
Distantshore is offline  
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 3,467
Re: Some fall photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1973 View Post
the Bird is locking on target for poop dispatch!

nice photos, how do you get the moon so detailed, when i take a photo of the moon i End up with a tiny white dot

LOL Thats the thing about photographing Seagulls. They're not everyones favorite bird.

The thing with moon photos is that a camera on automatic mode will always overexpose them. So you manually expose untill the moon is dark enough that you still have some detail. There is quite a bit of cropping involved as well. What you see is a full size version of that photo so I would need a lot of mega pixels or a very powerful zoom to get a more high res version. This one was taken with a 70-200mm Canon lens at 200mm handheld.

Quote:
I dunno how much better you could get than you already are, Rot!! You're a fantastic photographer!!! National Geographic quality
Thanks a lot but I know I still have a ways to go. I see photos everyday that blow away what I'm doing. I'd like to get to a profesional level someday but I'm not there yet.
Rotti is offline  
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 3,467
Thumbs up Re: Some fall photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
Absolutely beautiful photos! Can you tell us newbs what settings you used? Especially on that waterfall. I know you are using a slower shutter speed to get that fluid motion right?

This photo was taken at ISO 100, f/11, @ 70mm. shutterspeed was .6 sec.
A tripod of course is a must. That photo was taken in low light. If it was bright and sunny I would have needed a Neutral Density filter to allow me to get a slow enough shutter speed. I find the best thing to do is just shoot waterfalls in low light. Very early in the morning or late in the evening.

As for your photo it's very nice. The framing and color is excellent. The only advice I would give is to get more focus on the eyes. It looks like the nose is the focus point and the eyes should be sharper. Try selecting one focus point in your camera if you haven't done that yet. Then you can put that focus point right on one of her eyes and you should be good.
Also I would say spend some time with photoshop. Look for online photoshop tips.
In my opinion and for the type of photos I like, good photoshop skills usually make the difference between an okay photo and a stunning one.
Rotti is offline  
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:20 AM
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 151
Re: Some fall photos

Awesome pic's ! Keep it up !
winger is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:33 AM
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Tampa Bay, FL
Posts: 3,861
Re: Some fall photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
This photo was taken at ISO 100, f/11, @ 70mm. shutterspeed was .6 sec.
A tripod of course is a must. That photo was taken in low light. If it was bright and sunny I would have needed a Neutral Density filter to allow me to get a slow enough shutter speed. I find the best thing to do is just shoot waterfalls in low light. Very early in the morning or late in the evening.

As for your photo it's very nice. The framing and color is excellent. The only advice I would give is to get more focus on the eyes. It looks like the nose is the focus point and the eyes should be sharper. Try selecting one focus point in your camera if you haven't done that yet. Then you can put that focus point right on one of her eyes and you should be good.
Also I would say spend some time with photoshop. Look for online photoshop tips.
In my opinion and for the type of photos I like, good photoshop skills usually make the difference between an okay photo and a stunning one.
Thanks, I actually did edit that photo in photoshop, but thought I'd post the original. I guess without knowing it, I knew the eyes needed to be focused more, since thats what I first concentrated on in photoshop. Heres the edit:

Distantshore is offline  
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 AM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: england brum
Posts: 1,011
Re: Some fall photos

rotti- i love the second photo, IMO perfect.

distant shores- what a lovely looking photo, the girl is real pretty too, its real sad that you cant say things like that and not get looked at a some kinda weirdo nowerdays. i also think it was better before the photoshop edit, it looked more natural to me, and im not taking anything away from what you did in photoshop either, it looks nice, but between the 2 i like the first, somethimes what some people see as imperfections are what make a photo or image captivating to others. nice work

HAGO
Out Of This Swirled is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 AM
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: london,uk
Posts: 6,512
Re: Some fall photos

^^ Weirdo

I'm just kiddin'
andy7jem is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CUSTOM LEFTY JEM!!! Photos! buckethead777 Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 21 03-21-2005 04:40 AM
Exclusive Rob Balducci-recording session photos balducci Players & Bands, Music & Sounds, Tours & Jams, Lessons & Theory! 6 04-05-2004 11:46 PM
Dino Cazeres 7-string guitar photos anyone? Chud All Other Guitars (including Prestige) 12 03-31-2003 12:44 AM
Kennydoe's new 'Family Photos' - ...my UV and my 'stolen' BF kennydoe Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models 8 03-27-2001 05:55 AM
Tremolo Angle photos? - For a Lo TRS II Scott 74 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 2 02-11-2001 10:22 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome