Some fall photos - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Some fall photos

Well I'll keep the photo stuff going. Here are some fall photos I took recently. I find landscape photos very difficult but I'm trying to get better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

Re: Some fall photos

Yarrr, oi be greatly loikin the birrrd and the forest...
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:50 PM

The first one is amazing, and the moon is beautiful too. Nice man, keep it up.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 09:08 PM

very nice, i like the second one best. I would have used a slightly faster shutter on the first though, good work anyhow.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 05:24 AM

That bird is a bad ass dude His expression is like "What the F**K you lookin' at!"
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 06:54 AM

Reviews: 10

the Bird is locking on target for poop dispatch!

nice photos, how do you get the moon so detailed, when i take a photo of the moon i End up with a tiny white dot
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
I find landscape photos very difficult but I'm trying to get better.
I dunno how much better you could get than you already are, Rot!! You're a fantastic photographer!!! National Geographic quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1973 View Post
YEP Seagulls are notourious for poop letting on human targets!! I learned that the hard, messy way
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 AM

Absolutely beautiful photos! Can you tell us newbs what settings you used? Especially on that waterfall. I know you are using a slower shutter speed to get that fluid motion right?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 AM

Heres one I shot with my new Canon Rebel XTI. My neighbors daughter (shot and used with permission of course) 1/250, f/5.6. Still new, so pointers/critique is welcome and appreciated.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1973 View Post

nice photos, how do you get the moon so detailed, when i take a photo of the moon i End up with a tiny white dot

LOL Thats the thing about photographing Seagulls. They're not everyones favorite bird.

The thing with moon photos is that a camera on automatic mode will always overexpose them. So you manually expose untill the moon is dark enough that you still have some detail. There is quite a bit of cropping involved as well. What you see is a full size version of that photo so I would need a lot of mega pixels or a very powerful zoom to get a more high res version. This one was taken with a 70-200mm Canon lens at 200mm handheld.

Quote:
I dunno how much better you could get than you already are, Rot!! You're a fantastic photographer!!! National Geographic quality
Thanks a lot but I know I still have a ways to go. I see photos everyday that blow away what I'm doing. I'd like to get to a profesional level someday but I'm not there yet.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Some fall photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
Absolutely beautiful photos! Can you tell us newbs what settings you used? Especially on that waterfall. I know you are using a slower shutter speed to get that fluid motion right?

This photo was taken at ISO 100, f/11, @ 70mm. shutterspeed was .6 sec.
A tripod of course is a must. That photo was taken in low light. If it was bright and sunny I would have needed a Neutral Density filter to allow me to get a slow enough shutter speed. I find the best thing to do is just shoot waterfalls in low light. Very early in the morning or late in the evening.

As for your photo it's very nice. The framing and color is excellent. The only advice I would give is to get more focus on the eyes. It looks like the nose is the focus point and the eyes should be sharper. Try selecting one focus point in your camera if you haven't done that yet. Then you can put that focus point right on one of her eyes and you should be good.
Also I would say spend some time with photoshop. Look for online photoshop tips.
In my opinion and for the type of photos I like, good photoshop skills usually make the difference between an okay photo and a stunning one.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:20 AM

Awesome pic's ! Keep it up !
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
This photo was taken at ISO 100, f/11, @ 70mm. shutterspeed was .6 sec.
A tripod of course is a must. That photo was taken in low light. If it was bright and sunny I would have needed a Neutral Density filter to allow me to get a slow enough shutter speed. I find the best thing to do is just shoot waterfalls in low light. Very early in the morning or late in the evening.

As for your photo it's very nice. The framing and color is excellent. The only advice I would give is to get more focus on the eyes. It looks like the nose is the focus point and the eyes should be sharper. Try selecting one focus point in your camera if you haven't done that yet. Then you can put that focus point right on one of her eyes and you should be good.
Also I would say spend some time with photoshop. Look for online photoshop tips.
In my opinion and for the type of photos I like, good photoshop skills usually make the difference between an okay photo and a stunning one.
Thanks, I actually did edit that photo in photoshop, but thought I'd post the original. I guess without knowing it, I knew the eyes needed to be focused more, since thats what I first concentrated on in photoshop. Heres the edit:

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 09:00 AM

rotti- i love the second photo, IMO perfect.

distant shores- what a lovely looking photo, the girl is real pretty too, its real sad that you cant say things like that and not get looked at a some kinda weirdo nowerdays. i also think it was better before the photoshop edit, it looked more natural to me, and im not taking anything away from what you did in photoshop either, it looks nice, but between the 2 i like the first, somethimes what some people see as imperfections are what make a photo or image captivating to others. nice work

HAGO
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007, 09:06 AM

^^ Weirdo

I'm just kiddin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode