Speaking of violence in schools - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Speaking of violence in schools

Here's a quote:

Quote:
I would write short stories, and they’re probably horribly written, about blowing up my school and murdering all the teachers. Which I would show to this English teacher who I was friends with, my one ally at this school. And he would go, "Okay, don’t show this to your real English teacher. You know, because you can’t say '****' and hand it in as an essay at this school." I went to a pretty uptight all boys school. But he said, "Show me this stuff." And, "I like that you’re writing creatively. Keep this up. Just don’t show it to your 'teacher-teacher' because you’ll get in trouble."
Guess who the guy is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:00 AM

Re: Speaking of violence in schools

Henry Rollins
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

That's right. He came out fine, didn't he? Didn't kill anyone, great speaker, political activist. In fact if he was running for a public office and I could vote, I'd vote for the guy.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 AM

Okay, so one valid counter-example does what?

Of course, it's possible for a sane human being to have violent fantasies that they will never put into action. Stephen King wrote a story about school violence and he is clearly able to distinguish between fantasy and reality.

But the fact remains that most people who do act out in violence are suffering from a mental illness and that suffering manifests itself in some alarming way. These have included writing about the attack and saying ominous things to people like "don't come to school tomorrow, something bad is going to happen." Whether we consider them cries for help or evil threats, they are warning signs that should be investigated.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Yeah...these threads never end well...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode