Spider Movie Angst - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Spider Movie Angst

Ok, here is the deal. I have horrible arachnaphobia. I'm not sure if anyone else out there can relate to my quandry. Things will be fine for me for a while, and then Hollywood will come out with another spider-based film, and I've got to seek therapy all over again. Just kidding, but I probably need some. It is not just the films, but all the crap paraphinellia that they have to sell along with it. I purposelly haven't watched "Arachnaphobia".

Since when have spiders become iconic superheros? No other creature seems to affect me on such a level as spiders do. I guess what has brought all this on is I went to Burger King this morning for breakfast, and my big ass cup of coffee, instead of the usual Big Joe logo, has spiders all over the cup. I had to cover it up with a paper towel so I didn't get the willies.

I have held scorpians, baby alligators (at a zoo I volunteered at), snakes (I used to own an albino burmese python), but nothing on this planet repulses me as much as spiders. Hell, I would prefer more small insects around as the trade-off.

I actually tried to make peace with spiders and watch a documentary on tarantulas once, but five minutes into the close-ups of hair, fangs, and strange crawling, I thought I was going to pass out cold.

Does anyone else share this fear of spiders? It seems to be about the only thing I'm truly afraid of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:47 AM

Re: Spider Movie Angst

That sucks that it has to be the most popular movie of the year(so far) to boot and if it makes you feel any better, I'm the same way about rodents...mice,rats even hamsters, give me the creeps.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantshore View Post
That sucks that it has to be the most popular movie of the year(so far) to boot and if it makes you feel any better, I'm the same way about rodents...mice,rats even hamsters, give me the creeps.
Yeah, I got to ride this thing out. Hell, there is a spider crawling around on my ceiling that I haven't killed yet. Usually I suck them up with the vacuum cleaner. I sat on my couch early this morning just staring at it, and hoping it wouldn't kill me. And no, I'm not on crystal meth!

I guess we each have our own thing. I used to do animal husbandry with rodents in a laboratory. I had to gas them when it was time. I felt like such a Nazi doing it. Rodents I'm ok with, but don't care for rats either. I used to have 2 prairie dogs as pets, which are rodents.

I just needed to rant. Suddenly around me, spiders seem to be everywhere.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:08 AM

spiders arent too bad. remember, in a lifetime, you end up eating a few while sleeping now centipedes, those things are evil SOBs..LOL
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 AM

I don't mind spiders, I really hate flies though, ****ers!

You must have really hated that Shelob scene in Lord of the Rings then.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:12 AM

I'm not afraid of spiders, snakes or rodents, but those big frigging palmetto bugs we have here in Florida FREAK ME OUT!! They are like these HUGE c0ckroaches with wings and they fly. They're so friggin big that you can actually hear them crawling across the sand on the beach at night. NASTY!! I have such a phobia of one flying into my hair and getting tangled up in it. Shudder! Just the thought of it makes me want to pass out!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Plagues View Post
spiders arent too bad. remember, in a lifetime, you end up eating a few while sleeping now centipedes, those things are evil SOBs..LOL
Oh gawd, you had to go there about the eating them. I think part of my fear is from a spider crawling on me while I was sleeping as a kid. I switched on the light and screamed bloody murder. I also saw a cheezy movie called "Tarantula" that was supposedly based on a true story in Brownsville, TX I believe when I was young. The end of the movie shows the whole town covered in cobwebs.

I also saw "The Exorcist" as a kid, but the spiders left more of an impression on me. Although, I don't mess with ouija boards, just in case.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_chick View Post
Oh gawd, you had to go there about the eating them. I think part of my fear is from a spider crawling on me while I was sleeping as a kid. I switched on the light and screamed bloody murder. I also saw a cheezy movie called "Tarantula" that was supposedly based on a true story in Brownsville, TX I believe when I was young. The end of the movie shows the whole town covered in cobwebs.

I also saw "The Exorcist" as a kid, but the spiders left more of an impression on me. Although, I don't mess with ouija boards, just in case.
Exorcist is classic.. great movie. you should watch "Eight legged freaks". its hilarious.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative View Post
I'm not afraid of spiders, snakes or rodents, but those big frigging palmetto bugs we have here in Florida FREAK ME OUT!! They are like these HUGE c0ckroaches with wings and they fly. They're so friggin big that you can actually hear them crawling across the sand on the beach at night. NASTY!! I have such a phobia of one flying into my hair and getting tangled up in it. Shudder! Just the thought of it makes me want to pass out!
I forgot about those. I lived near Tampa (Brandon) for a few years, and those things always have ways of sneaking into houses. Great, another phobia I forgot about. I still hate spiders more though, I think.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Plagues View Post
Exorcist is classic.. great movie. you should watch "Eight legged freaks". its hilarious.
I'm not watching nothing called "Eight legged freaks". Sorry, but that is a no-go. I remember getting so freaked out by the Exorcist, even if I turned away from the t.v., the voice alone freaked me out.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_chick View Post
I forgot about those. I lived near Tampa (Brandon) for a few years, and those things always have ways of sneaking into houses. Great, another phobia I forgot about. I still hate spiders more though, I think.
Sorryyyyyyy!! How long did you live in the Sunshine state if I may ask? Almost all my family are in Tampa.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

From about 1995-1998. I went to school at the University of South Florida, when they started their first football team (the Bulls). It is right behind MOSI and Busch Gardens on Martin Luther King Drive if I remember correctly.

Sad memories though; I got divorced there. I also volunteered/worked at Lowry Park Zoological Gardens if you are familiar with it.

I'm glad to see another girl on here.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurj View Post
I don't mind spiders, I really hate flies though, ****ers!

You must have really hated that Shelob scene in Lord of the Rings then.
Yeah, I did, even though I expected it (I read the trilogy). There is just no way to prepare for that sort of thing, hobbits wrapped in webs. I really hated the spider at the end of Stephen King's "It". What kind of lame ass ending was that anyways. It was great the whole way through, I'm a huge Tim Curry fan, and then we run out of material so we stick a gratuitous spider in there? Don't get me started on Stephen King endings. He has a way of blowing something good so many times in my opinion.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Ok, I guess Spiderman isn't all bad. I won a free Whopper at B.K. after I scratched the game ticket.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 12:03 PM

I think the fact that I grew up spending most of my time around ponds and woods killed most of the fears in me. I used to have a serious problem with thunderstorms, but Zoloft fixed that. I love bugs and especially reptiles. I will own a corn snake one day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode