SSD drives vs Sata - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

SSD drives vs Sata

question for anyone who can shed some light on this. I have all mac after using pc for years. this is NOT a mac vs pc thread! I don't wanna hear anything regarding mac vs pc...this is simply speed regardless of brand.

I had an imac 3.06 core 2 duo and sold it recently. I do lots of HD video and this unit handled it well. I sold it because I use my macbook pro 2010, i5, 2.4ghz most of the time due to mobility...daily train ride to work, etc, i edit in final cut pro 7.

So, I was thinking of eventually upgrading to quad core i7 imac OR dropping money on solid state drive for i5 macbook pro (not quad.)

Anyone working with final cut, regardless of pc or mac, who has done or seen this? opinions...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 03:49 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: SSD drives vs Sata

Several pitfalls where you can get tripped up and waste $$$....

1. Watch if the actual i7 laptops are indeed 2-core (4 threads) or 4-core. I'd bet on a thin laptop the i7 might be 2-core like the i5. I have been watching Thinkpad T420s (14" 1600x900. 3.9lb) for a few months and no i7 models are yet in channel, the ones announced all i7 2-core. The thicker/heavier T420 have 4-core i7 processors so it's a thermal issue without a doubt.

2. Is there a bay for 2nd HDD on the macbook? I'd want to edit the HD video on a non-OS 2nd drive wouldn't you? Granted SSDs don't defrag but they are much smaller in size and have limited "fill it up and rewrite" capacity especially if TRIM support is not 100% (windows 7 has 100% trim support on basically any SSD fwiw)

3. Next, is the HDD accessible (replaceable with out removing the lcd panel, glue, etc.) and not firmware locked out on the macbook? You might want to check that first, obviously also if there is a warranty in play.

4. Again check if TRIM is supported by OSX on the replacement drive.

5. Finally how many GB do you need to do the video? I ask because the $$$ of a large SSD might exceed the cost of replacing the pc with a newer faster one that comes with a larger, faster 7200-rpm (large) drive.

Have fun... glen
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 04:07 AM

Reviews: 2

Quad core in a laptop is pretty silly. Hardly any programs utilise all of those cores and threads, most recording programs don't even do 64 bit yet.

I'd go the i5 with the SSD. But as you said they core 2 duo with a SATA drive did the job well, so you could get a larger capacity SATA drive with the more effecient CPU, for video editing, i would be looking more closely at the video card and RAM installed.

If i was to build something like this myself, i would go an i5 at about 3GHz, 6GB RAM, 2 500GB HDDs (or 2 1TB HDDs in RAID 0), a new graphics mediumly powerful graphics card (ati probably, most cost effective), a nice gigabyte board and then whatever for the rest of it.

So, in short, i'd get the i5 cause you probably won't notice the performance difference in the dual core. The SSD will have a writing performance increase, but i doubt it would be noticeable, unless ur recording in 3D in HD with 2 simultaneous streams. So save some money and get an i5 with a larger capacity SATA drive.

Toodles Julz.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Reviews: 11

Quad core is amazing
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
So, I was thinking of eventually upgrading to quad core i7 imac OR dropping money on solid state drive for i5 macbook pro (not quad.)

Anyone working with final cut, regardless of pc or mac, who has done or seen this? opinions...thanks
Hi Shred,

I do some video editing, FCP 7 on my i7 2010 Macbook Pro, and I would suggest waiting for a thunderbolt drive to become available. I use an external Firewire 800 7200 RPM drive for storage and scratch disk, and it handles it ok. In fact it runs better sometimes than my work mac pro 8 core. If you get an external drive, which would be cheaper than a SSD anyway, you will be able to keep your storage and OS/app drives separate, and thunderbolt speeds look to be good. Lacie is going to release a little big disk with 2 250 GB SSD drives this summer. rumored price is 300.00.

Good luck! Tobe
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

thanks tobe! if i had to do it again i would have purchased the quad i7 macbook pro instead of i5. I didn't know at the time of the macbook purchase that it was to be my main machine, as i sold my imac a few months later. so now i have only the one machine, i5 macbook, with 8 gb ram, that i'm using for everything. a huge pro is... it's GREAT having all your data, music, videos, etc. on one machine, but there have been some setbacks. while editing on the train after work i got a few errors regarding dropped frames...it said...please try speeding up your drive. ha, nothing much else i can do! there are also times i need more real estate. 15" is great but not when you're opening multiple docs. once i see a little money i think i may go to the quad i7 imac refurb and use that machine solely for video production and leave everything else on this macbook i5...accounting, docs, photos, music. i'm sure it will be fine but i don't want to risk someone's wedding video corrupting.

i have never edited using external drive for scratch...that kinda freaks me out. i have a 1TB external drive i use to export final projects to but that's about it. everything else is local backed up with time machine. i upgraded the macbook to a 750gb 7200 drive. i'm not settling for 5400 on any machine.

Steve
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 09:20 AM
site founder 0% owner

what exact Core i5 chip is in your mac?

external HDDs on a laptop that you travel with are a bad idea. at home, that is another story... glen
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

2.4GHz Intel Core i5 processor with 3MB shared L3 cache
video - NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M graphics processor with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM
site founder 0% owner

before doing anything, check the exact Core i7 in the other laptop. at 15" it could be a true 4-core which would be a boost if the applications support multi-core processing

compare to yours (which is very good):
http://ark.intel.com/products/47341/...he-2_40-GHz%29

... glen
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

thanks Glen, that link looks like what i have now....2 cores, not quad i5. here's some info:

These Core i5 and Core i7 processors have a few interesting performance features, including Hyper-Threading, which uses virtual cores to double the amount of processing cores presented to the operating system. These Core i5 and Core i7 processors have dual cores, but OS X treats them as having four cores. Another Core i5/Core i7 technology, Turbo Boost, allows the processor to speed up for a short period of time (when necessary) or shut down unused cores and give the resources to the cores in use. Turbo Boost can increase the clock speed of the 2.4GHz Core i5 processor up to 2.93GHz.

An interesting read from 4/2010:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...cbook_pro.html

Last edited by shredmaster; 07-29-2011 at 11:20 AM.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM
site founder 0% owner

mobile cpus: i5 are 2-core but 4-threads. some i7 are the same. some i7 are 4-core (8 threads). The ones that would fit in a mac notebook are the "Sandy Bridge" (32 nm)" ones with Qx designations. See link below:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ile_processors

So the chance of buying a 2-core i7 (in a laptop) is great unless you specifically find a notebook with the 4-core/8-thread i7 processor... glen

Last edited by jemsite; 07-29-2011 at 11:38 AM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

yep...i may take the path of refurb quad i7 imac down the road, to be used for the multi - layer HD stuff / green screen / animation, and of course when i need more real estate. this i5 macbook is outstanding and i LOVE the portability factor on the train...however, for more advanced stuff...i think dedicated imac is a must. macbook is awesome for home movies, itunes, email, contracts, accounting, lightroom, etc.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
external HDDs on a laptop that you travel with are a bad idea. at home, that is another story... glen
I suppose it all depends. I have never, now i am jinxing myself, had an issue with external drives and traveling. There are alot of rugged external drives now.... Where ever you are, you always want to keep your data separate from your OS imo. Good luck Shred!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobe View Post
I suppose it all depends. I have never, now i am jinxing myself, had an issue with external drives and traveling. There are alot of rugged external drives now.... Where ever you are, you always want to keep your data separate from your OS imo. Good luck Shred!
What I've started doing is making OS images for backup at certain check points in my installations. I used to be a reformat whore but now i can just check back into an earlier date in my os.

I don't know much about macs but, as has been said it's best to go ssd for OS and programs that need the read speed and hdd for anything else (esp items with frequent write/delete like browser cache etc)
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Reviews: 2

My "old school" QX9650 and Raptor drives are still doing all of my editing work fabulously!!!

My only bottleneck is my memory, but I haven't found any DDR3 socket 775 boards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode