Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker & The Mandalorian - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By LonePhantom
  • 1 Post By javimm
  • 1 Post By jono

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker & The Mandalorian

The Rise of Skywalker

I do not get bent out of shape if something in the Star Wars Universe contradicts something else in the Star Wars Universe because Stars Wars is not real. With that said, I enjoyed it and here is why:
- Leia's part worked better than I could have predicted. Certain scenes from The Last Jedi now "make more sense."
- The good guys won.
- A Y-Wing successfully blew up another space ship (a Star Destroyer no less) and survived the entire battle.
- I liked Rey's gold lightsaber because it was a new lightsaber and rather unexpected.

I will admit, the sequel trilogy could have used more coherence, but at least there were no scenes about "not liking sand."

The Mandalorian

When The Mandalorian (on Disney+) was described as a "spaghetti western in the Star Wars Universe" I had my doubts. It made more sense when I learned more about spaghetti westerns. (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is a spaghetti western for reference.)

I like The Mandalorian because it doesn't need "Star Wars" in order to be good. The whole plot could take place in post-WWII France and be equally good. In other words, it is a well-written show. "Baby Yoda" was a great addition as well. However, the internet has sort of ruined the character so you need to watch the show to understand. Some parts are cheesy, but for the most part, it's a good show.

What are your thoughts on Episode IX, The Mandalorian, the "Skywalker Saga", Disney, etc.?

Civility will go a long way in keeping this thread open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker & The Mandalorian

I enjoyed The Rise of Skywalker. I didn't have major issues with The Last Jedi either, but they did conclude the trilogy quite nicely.

I've only watched one episode of The Mandalorian so far, it seems quite good.

The original trilogy was always referred to as a bit of an intergalactic western, and it's easy to see why. Lucas was clearly inspired by westerns, as well as Japanese samurai films, specifically Akira Kurosawa films. C3PO and R2D2 are clearly modelled after characters found in them, characters that don't necessarily have a major impact on the story, but provide some comic relief, and help take the story through it's paces.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I didn’t really like the most recent trilogy, the second film going off in a different direction to the first only to be pulled back again by the third, it just didn’t work for me. I felt a lot needed more explanation than we actually got. There were a lot of elements borrowed from other Star Wars sources in the old ‘expanded universe’ that were nice touches. But as a trilogy, not the way I would have finished the skywalker saga.

We don’t have the Manalprian here in the U.K. yet, it’s supposed to premier later this year so I’m looking forward to that one.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2020, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

I think expectations were high for these movies, a level of hype was generated that no movie could ever really live up too. The good people won in the end which is good and safe way to end a story. How Disney got to that point could have probably been done with a little more clarity, but they did have some unexpected obstacles to overcome as well.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 03:21 AM

I don't like new films... Specially after Han Solo's death...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 01:34 PM

I didn't like the new trilogy at all and I wasn't expecting much from the Mandalorian, but I loved it!!. It resonates with me much more than the new films.
jono likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2020, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I think The Mandalorian is the best thing to happen to Star Wars in ages we’re only a few chapters in here in the U.K., but I’m loving it so far.

I also really liked the first season of Rebels because of the Ralph McQuarrie artwork being so much more Star Wars even than Star Wars itself.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I think The Mandalorian is the best thing to happen to Star Wars in ages were only a few chapters in here in the U.K., but Im loving it so far.
How is The Mandalorian?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

It’s made me realise that neither JJ Abrams nor Rian Johnson should EVER have been let near Star Wars.

It should always have been given to Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni.. Always.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
It’s made me realise that neither JJ Abrams nor Rian Johnson should EVER have been let near Star Wars.

It should always have been given to Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni.. Always.
You could be right. However, it seems entirely possible The Mandalorian enjoyed more autonomy and creative freedom than the Star Wars films. Disney may have had a checklist of requirements the films had to meet that inhibited creative freedom.

But yes, The Mandalorian was really well done. I wonder how much of the 2nd season they finished before the Rona arrived?

Good news: https://www.techradar.com/news/the-m...date-darksaber

Last edited by Formerly Given To Fly; 04-19-2020 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Addition of good news
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 10:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reydevis View Post
I don't like new films... Specially after Han Solo's death...
me too, i agree. it very sad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode