stem cell research - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

stem cell research

Just wanted to know how you all felt about stem cell research. That guy in the white house didn't want to throw in a few extra dollars to support what is probably the largest advance in the medical field ever, while spending billions of dollars over seas.

What stem cell research strives to achieve is the cultivating and nuturing of stem cells, the basic cell of the body, enabling it to be reproduced to other specific part of the body. The implications are obvious, limbs and organs could be grown from scratch in a lab, then used in transplants or to cure illnesses. By providing the raw material for virtually every kind of human tissue, new treatments for a wide range of human diseases including diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and Parkinson's disease can now be developed.

And did you know that there is a medical black market? Yes, doctors may buy, knowingly or not, organs taken from people against their will. Say, a homeless man gets severly injured by a truck, the hospital knows he don't have any money to pay for the bills, so instead of wasting their time, put him to sleep and take out his good organs. I don't know if this happens often, or happens in the US, but is certainly does happen. Now if we could just grow organs, this wouldn't happen.

To all you religous and ethical folks so strongly against it, I say **** you because you know if your life was on the line, you wouldn't think twice. And if an experiement does fail, its not like the whole cow died, just a couple cells. People will say, "ohh... Youre evil, youre playing God, its not ethical". Get real folks, you'd probably be dead if it werent for all the medications you took, and lets see, God didn't give you your vaccinations did he?

I have a dream that by the time I am old, there will be creatures, custom tailored in labratories to suit the owner. Scientists can put together various parts, and Frankenstien an animal any way desirable. Possibly make almost human-intelligent animals that are more durable and stronger to withstand the rigors of doing tasks to dangerous for humans, like space travel.

sorry i'll stop now, this is a rather lenghty post.

Last edited by C.Thep; 07-24-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:07 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: stem cell research

we can't have political converstation here but our "stem cell research" policy is equally or more stupid than most of our other bad policies. it's unfortunate religious, hipocrital, megamaniacal, zealots have clamped down like the Dark Ages... glen
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:12 PM

Its religion that inpeeds science and our daily lives.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:20 PM

I am religious, yet I support Stem Cell research. Why? Well, it has the possibility to save lives and eliminate suffering on a wide scale. Cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, these horrid illnesses could be eradicated, or at the very least reduce suffering. That, I'm sure we'll all agree, can only be a good thing. It's a sensitive issue but ultimately one that can't be avoided... and potentially may affect us all. Even outside the USA.

I've made my point, I'll leave it at that, don't want to get into any overblown political/religion vs. atheism arguments.

Cheers

Smithy
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:28 PM

I don't want to get into it but I will say that I completely agree with what everyone has said.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:41 PM

its just sad imho that we cant just realize that theirs NOTHING ****IN RELIGOUS ABOUT ABORTION OR STEM CELL RESEARCH. end of rant no more political topics on the forum as per the rules.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:41 PM

So..............i could grow a spare wang just in case??
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:42 PM

Angry Re: stem cell research

That dumb-ass in the Sh!t house didn't want to throw in a few extra dollars , because he is one evil F##ker that is anti life anti everything, need I say more bro,

& he will only supports what is probably the largest advancement in war mongering history ever, just take a look at what is happening, not hard to see he's spending billions of dollars over seas war mongering. Yep, I hate him to bro with a passion! & so do most of the human population! He is not religious, he is an evil ridiculous joke on humanity!

I tryed to stay with in Jemsite rule's, but I hate that F**Ken C**T!!!! I really do bro
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:45 PM

Im also religious, but support the research because of its far reaching and amazing potential.
having said that I belive that the zealots disagree with the use of embryo's for stem cell research research.
anyhow, why research stem cells when you can annexe oil rich countries !
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
end of rant no more political topics on the forum as per the rules.
Yup. Mods, could you kindly close this discussion.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 03:41 PM
RCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87
You certainly have a problem with debate and a need for authority!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87
I have a feeling you won't have to wait too long for that. This thread will without a doubt deteriorate very quickly. It's already started.

Try to keep your cool with this debate folks, and be mindful of the rules
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 03:55 PM

I think it would be convenient if there was one positive that has come out of all of the stem cell research that's been done so far that could be held up as proof of concept. It's one thing to say for years "this is the most promising field ever", but at some point something should be found, right? Even something tiny?
If the scientific community could say, "We've cured X, but could have cured it years ago with more US Government funding" then the tide would likely turn pretty quickly. I don't know how much other governements give to stem cell research, or how much money is generated privately. No one really says, all they say is that there is only US Gov funding for the small number of lines agreed to last time (17 I believe, some of which I hear are now corrupted and useless).
The religion angle absolutely gives the current admininstration cover for saying no. It would be close to impossible to say no if there was an actual breakthrough that effected people's lives. If there was a breakthrough in the fight against Alzheinmers the cover would be gone and money would flow pretty quickly. There hasn't been; it's just this enornous possibility that hasn't produced anything. (Or anything that anyone has ever pointed out as proof of concept). I don't particularly see it as a religious issue. I see it as strictly a return on invesment issue for folks who simply don't want to part with the money. The ban on research money from the US Gov will likely end with this administration, but it would end faster if all of the current research had something, anything concrete to show for the money spent so far.

Just my $.02
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 03:57 PM

HEY! people, please. Stem cell research is EXPENSIVE and the white house already needs the money to fund the war that's already cost us 5.4 Trillion dollars.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-24-2006, 04:00 PM

Bush=War doesn't add to the topic, it's a distraction.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode