Steve Vai's Autobiography? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Smile Steve Vai's Autobiography?

Isn't it about time Steve wrote a book about his life. I bet it would make a very interesting read.What does everyone else think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Re: Steve Vai's Autobiography?

Nah, I'm more interested in his music. I'm sure it would be interesting to obsessive Vai fans though, who just can't get enough...
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:56 PM

His stories of just auditioning and playing with Zappa are probably enough for half a book.
Toss in DLR and a page for Alcatrazz, and Whitesnake and I'm sure you've got some interesting reading.
I would wonder if he'd have the heart to post all the facts surrounding his various departures from the DLR band, etc. Someone like Diamond Dave might flip out, but then again, he's no stranger to conflict.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM

A good project to start on before he gets old and forgetful, but maybe not to publish too soon I'd still read it if it came out 15 years from now (or listen to it on whatever future media, as read by Harry Potter or something )
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
I would wonder if he'd have the heart to post all the facts surrounding his various departures from the DLR band, etc. Someone like Diamond Dave might flip out, but then again, he's no stranger to conflict.
Would you be able to elaborate or private some links for reading on this subject at all. I've always wondered what prompted Vai's leave from DLR's band and have never been able to find anything. At first I thought perhaps he just felt like a change, but then there were the Alcatrazz and Whitesnake gigs where he was still in a similar scene for a short while before going solo, so its always been a small area of interest to me.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:52 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Steve Vai's Autobiography?

I don't think he's had the kind of colorful life other contemporary rockers have had so I don't think it would be as interesting a read to the non guitar playing fan...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
I don't think he's had the kind of colorful life other contemporary rockers have had so I don't think it would be as interesting a read to the non guitar playing fan...
Yeah, he was never a druggie and stuff so the ups and downs wouldn't, at least as far as I know, be as dynamic maybe. But who knows. It's the same with Satch I think too. Both of them haven't had a tough going with drugs, alcohol and scandals like some other noteworthy guitar players.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 11:58 PM
Vendor

Anybody remember the Champaign douche story?
Rich is online  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
hmmmm, no?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 12:03 AM

@ Rich

Well there's always The Real Frank Zappa Book and Thana Harris's autobiography in the meantime.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
That wouldn't be related to the "Steve Vai's Greatest Fan" video with a certain carrot trick would it?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Vendor

I... don't think so.
Rich is online  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-22-2008, 11:10 PM

It wouldn't read like the Heroin Diaries (highly recommended) or Hammer of the Gods, but I bet it would be intriguing nonetheless.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 AM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Steve Vai's Autobiography?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
It wouldn't read like the Heroin Diaries (highly recommended)
+1 Very highly recommended (of course you must read it while listening to Sixx A.M.)
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-23-2008, 03:25 PM

I remember how he once had his childhood-to-adulthood journals up on Vai.com. They were a very interesting read. He had some awesome stories. There was one hilarious one about a urinary tract infection.

I really regret not printing off a copy or saving a local copy. They've since been taken down. They were a very, very good read. He's just like us, but extremely driven. In his journals you could almost see the "hand of God" prodding him in certain directions to get him to where he is day. The up's, and the savage downs.

Tags
steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode