Stroke recovery - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Stroke recovery

hey guys. haven't been on here in a little while. really busy with video and photography biz and the day job and the dogs and the music and the family.......and now something else.

my father-in-law has suffered what we believe to be a massive stroke. i have been researching all over the web for the last couple weeks. i was wondering who here has been through this with a loved one and what the recovery process was like, how long it took, just whatever you have to offer.

he can't stand or walk.....nothing. has to wear depends undergarments since he can't control any motor functions. IF he talks it's maybe a sentence a day....other than that he is sleeping. can't see well....stares into space if he isn't sleeping. half the time when he talks it makes no sense and that is understandable since the brain has been damaged. i have read in many places that the brain will relearn or re-route functions to other parts that have not previously been used for those functions.

i went there yesterday and sat next to him. he is at home. took 1.5 hours to get him to the bathroom for a shower and change of clothes. we are looking at getting him to another hospital. my mother-in-law can only do so much with her arthritis and my wife is smaller and can barely lift him. i'm pretty sure he knows who i am but not positive. at this point he lays in bed all day and that is all, most of the time just holding the food in his mouth when we try to feed him. most victims forget how to swallow, or he just falls asleep. it's terrible. i'm going after the hospital since the jag neurologist said he should be fine in a couple days and back to work.....LOOK AT HIM! this guy is a total jag. "well my reports came back fine so he must be." i F'n hate doctors! what a jag.

he may recover close to fully or not at all....time will only tell. i know that a neighbor of ours was only 18 and she was hit by a stroke...no walking or talking. she recovered fully after awhile.

i don't take anything for granted.....but seeing terrible things such as this.........really makes you think yet again.

thanks,
Steve

Last edited by shredmaster; 05-11-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 12:57 PM

Re: Stroke recovery

I hope everything works out for you. Unfortunatly I can't offer anything in the way of advice other than wishing you and your family all the best and hoping that your father in law recovers.

Anthony.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:07 PM

Oh ****.

I feel for you terribly here, my grandad had a few massive strokes last year.

He was in a really bad way just as you mentioned with your father-in-law. The thing to remember is that some people can become frustrated (trapped in their own head I suppose) so you really need to have patience with the guy (sounds like you already have, with the 1.5 hour thing.)

A great thing to do is to try getting him to remember things, show him photo from the past, that can do wonders to help kick-start his brain. Try and get him to use his limbs and extremities often and try to challenge his brain with simple things like just having a conversation. Oh and fruit! fruit is great help if he'll eat it.

I am so lucky because he made a miraculous recovery and now is about 90% back to himself. He's got complete control of himself, he just forgets words now and again and replaces the wrong word in it's place. Oh and he lacks tact now, he's quite abrupt with people! lol but he's just speaking his mind and I thank God that he's able to do that.

So keep your chin up, please try for the guy's sake to cope for as long as possible because a hospital could make him worse (as strange as it sounds, most places will just accept him as he is and not try and make him better.)

Chin up and good luck!

Dave
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 01:23 PM

I'm sorry to hear that , hopefully he recovers soon, Have faith everything will be alright
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys.......

Dave, i realize it will be different for different people....but, how long did it take for your grandfather, roughly? i'm so glad he is 90% there! awesome!

i just hope his brain isn't damaged beyond trying to repair itself. his wife does feed him oranges and he does eat them. that is about it. he does drink sometimes too. he's just not there. when he is awake and eyes are open, he just stares at nothing. then maybe a sentence comes out...slow and mumbled.......then he falls asleep again. so we're hoping. it's not like me to have positive outlooks but with this i am.......i don't quit and we're doing what we can.

Steve

Last edited by shredmaster; 05-11-2006 at 03:47 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2006, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

It took roughly 18 months to get him to a good sturdy standard of living. He can function completely on his own now and to be honest the other 10% probably hasn't come back due to his age (nearly 80.) If you were to meet him you'd never tell that he'd had a stroke before.

As far as I can tell it al boils down to 2 things...

1. Whether or not your body will allow itself to heal
2. If your body will allow itself to heal you've got to treat it right and do the appropriate exercise.

It really will be a struggle, but it's definitely do-able. I just hope it works out for you.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 06:07 AM

Sorry to hear that. My mother had a stroke a few years and paralyzed on the right side for 3 months. Today she has partly recovered her strength in her right side and is having problems moving around such. Hope your father-in-law gets well soon.

Regards

André

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2006, 11:24 AM

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I went through the same thing with my father. I know it is very difficult for you and your family right now. Everyone will need time to adjust to the situation, especially him.

wemedge
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

not sure if it's stroke and they still don't know....2 hospitals later. he is now unable to breathe on his own, can't eat, and won't wake up. something is very wrong. he is now at loyola which is the best place to be for neurology. they are holding off on brain biopsy since they say he more than likely won't make it through that. they are running MRI and CT scans again. he's only 61 and was fine 4 weeks ago. i have been searching the web like a madman. i dont' get it.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 12:31 PM

"Chill out" might be the wrong term to use here Steve, but you need to try and keep a level head. Be strong for the family. Searching the web just fills your head with more questions that need more answers. Trust me, when my nana died last year it set my mother into a wild tailspin and all she could do was try to find the answers for what had happened and it just made her more and more confused and more and more upset.

As my Uncle said to me "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." Just remember, whilst we aren't physically with you we've still got your back
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

unfortunate news.....it's terminal. i just got the word. they are taking him off the machine tonight and the priest is going to deliver the prayer at that time. this is so unreal. we were just hanging out 4 weeks ago when he had very slight symptoms. it is a brain disease, form of madcow...cell protein disease called CJD, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, which is what i thought it was going to be. i was praying it would not be but it is. it is very rare and there is no cure. they give you 2 months to live, which is about right.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 PM

So sorry to hear that news bro.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 05:08 PM

My heart absolutely goes out to you, I hope that you cope well with it.

Again, we've got your back here so if you need to get anything out get it out
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:37 PM

Sorry to hear the bad news and I hope you pull through aswell. I'm no expert but I've dealt with this alot as an EMT for years. It also plagues my family now with my parents and Aunts and Uncles getting up in age. All anyone can really say is everyone heals differently and at a different pace. Age and health plays a big part. You'll need to take care of yourself mentaly and offer any pyhsical and metal support you can. This can become a huge test for both parties. I wish you well.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2006, 06:42 PM

Very very sorry to hear that! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Regards

André

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode