stupid job - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

stupid job

i have a job and for that i'm thankful. i love the people there and the money is good to live on....i don't have lots of it but i'm surviving with a tiny to put into savings each month.

anyway, i need to vent. i'm in the IT field as most of you know. i'm pretty good. i'm above 2nd level support. i jump in and take help desk calls all day and help those guys out. i create tickets and close them out within a day or 2.

of course today my stupid bitch boss pulled me over and said.....you need to close out your tickets...you need to work on them. what the HELL! i work on them and close them 1-2 days from when they are open. and she reminds me.....don't forget to update your tickets with notes. she hasn't ever looked at my tickets! i write novels! of course nothing is said to the jackass that's her favorite. they're devry buddies. they were laughin' all day today, went to lunch together, laughed some more and argued playfully about what food is fast food and what isn't....is pizza fast food? tacos? who gives a crap!!! and i'm talked to! he has tickets outstanding from october!!!! he's a smart guy but a kissass and they just love each other.

then an hour before i leave she comes over to me and i felt her approach. she says can i see you in the hall? so we go outside and she says.....i told you before you need to step up.....you really need to. what the hell is this!!!! she said i need to take more inititative to do things around here. like what!!! i take calls to help the helpdesk out all day and that isn't even my job but someone has to do it when we are so short staffed, i open and close tickets....what else is there to do! she said for me to maybe help make suggestions as to how to better the dept. for starters......like what? calls come in, we answer them.......what the hell. i'm so done with this place. the money is good and i need it but i can't deal with this crap. we lost a few more people today.......one of them being the guy in HR that took me in and contacted me about hiring me on in the beginning. i have only been here 6 months but there was the ever-popular merger talk 2 months after i got in. no one knows what will happen in may or june or whenever it happens.

a lot of people are already leaving and not risking not having a job. i'm going to start surfing for work, even if it's contract, which i hate. then she said i can't surf the web. i do it here and there, mainly on lunch, not as much as everyone else.....they do it all day everyday. i just don't get it, i really dont'. screw this place!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 12:22 AM

Re: stupid job

Start Rant:

If there's one thing I've learned about the work enviroment, and it doesn't matter where you work, "No good deed goes unpunished"!

I'm a hard ass worker. And every job I've had I've ended sourly because of bullsh*t just like you describe.

My first job, I was a supervisor. I quit because I was getting yelled at and written up for not helping the other employees get their jobs done. Even though I was busting my butt doing my work while the other employees were sitting on they're butts not doing jack.

My job after that I quit because we were constantly being yelled at that we needed to increase productivity, meanwhile we spent the first hour of the day just scrambling around trying to find the right tools we needed. Mind you this is the largest retailer in the United States and yet they can't afford to get us enough of the tools we need.

My job after that I got "let go" for what was described to me as "sitting around all day playing guitar and taking extra breaks". Which was a load of bull but don't even get me started on that one. I've now been without a job since October because the work situation around southern michigan leaves a little something to be desired.

Anyway, shredmaster, back to what you were saying. It sounds like you are too nice. If you are going to be looking for other work and you might loose your job anyway, then just be a d*ck to your boss. Ignore her when she's try to talk to you. Roll your eyes a lot. If worse comes to worse, cuss her out in front of everyone. It actually works wonders. It got me through a six year long job. And remember that upper management only cares about one thing: how does something look on paper? That can work in your favor if you boss complains to the higher ups. You can kindly point out that you have been working harder than anyone else. And don't be afraid to rat out someone else.

End rant
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

i hear ya on the job stuff. yes i'm too nice. either way, it always ends...whether by layoff or merger or takeover, call it what you want. i open my mouth to voice an opinion.....here's a good example...

about 5 years ago, i bust my ass, get the work done, train people, etc. well, there was this inter office romance going on between 2 employees. they were both married to someone else. i got sick and tired of hearing their love life BS! the chick was very loud and abnoxious. after a couple weeks i went up to my boss and said....i don't want to get anyone in trouble but they are alway mingling and congregating next to the cube next to me. can i just move? relocate me....we are relocating in a month anyway, just let me do it early. i can't stand sitting there. i don't want anyone in trouble, i just want to move alright? well, the guy was one of her favorites....i was let go 2 days later. BS man but that is how it goes. i cannot tell you how much i hate being at that job! the super does nothing as i stated....she was out for 6 weeks due to back surgery...our lives were bliss!!!

now she is back. i know when i go in tomorrow i will be talked to again....you really need to step up more steve! BUT HOW! i did tell her....i have to tell you that i'm confused...what am i not doing for you? she said nothing, i'm doing great but i need to step up and give suggestions and just be more involved...go the extra mile......figure out ways to benefit our dept. what? like what? this is just BS and i'm sick. why can't i just do my f'n job really well and be left alone. it's not like i'm slacking off.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 AM

I'm telling you, a little *sshole behavior will go a long way. Nothing totally obnoxious. Just some rolling of the eyes and make sure you walk away before she's done talking to you.

Can you go over her head.
Companies don't like when you mention the word "harassment".
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:56 AM

Three key words, Steve.....

"Strategic Brown Nosing"
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 09:22 AM

Reviews: 1

I have another word for you.
DOCUMENTATION.
Document your ticket open and close dates.
Document EVERYTHING you do that is a plus in the firm.
You have to sell yourself every now and then, especially around review time.

If you can document any wrongdoing on her part, that can always be used as leverage. Not as a threat, but just sort of a mutually assured destruction scenario.

We had a lead guy at my previous job who was VERY tight with the dept manager, they were golfing buddies. They, during the summer months, would arrange "important staff meetings" which we later found receipts from. The recs were from various local greens where they'd played golf during that "meeting"

That and the guy was selling real estate during work hours.
He had the regional MLS system up on his computer all the time.
Right in the middle of a surgical center he's selling houses! BRILLIANT!!!
That was something that was GREAT leverage when he decided to have his Napolean complex tirades.

Many times, if you have an accusatory superior, it's because they are trying to hide something else. There is a definate pathology behind this and you can use it to your benefit.

Best of luck!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:00 AM

I know you have heard it before here, just don't be too nice. Just do your duty and perhaps a bit more but don't bust your a** in the mean time.

Documentation sounds good Whether you call it leverage or threat, I don't care. You are a lot important than that stupid boss of yours and as long as it is going to help you in any way in your relationship with your boss, that's great.

Just my $0.02.

I wish you the best of luck...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 AM

I've said it before and i'll say it again....it's not what you know, or how hard you work, it's who you are "in" with

If you find a good solution, please let us know

In the meantime, good luck Steve.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 01:19 PM

Damn Steve, that sucks. "Think of ways to benefit the company"?? In other words, she wants you to do your job and hers. Tell her you'll be happy to do her job whenever she wants to do yours. Man, it's so damned hard to try to be tactful in these situations. And also, I would ask her to see the statistics of some of the other employees with the tickets. After all, if she is accusing you of not going the extra mile she should be happy to SHOW you who is so you can emulate what they are doing, right? Show me who's doing more.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:06 PM

Just grab hold of her t*ts when everyones about and say "you know you want me babe"!!!

Though.......don't blame me when your sacked/slapped/waiting for the lawsuit/unemployable

But......it might shut 'er the f**k up
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:21 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: stupid job

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
Just grab hold of her t*ts when everyones about and say "you know you want me babe"!!!

Though.......don't blame me when your sacked/slapped/waiting for the lawsuit/unemployable

But......it might shut 'er the f**k up
Either that or she can throw herself at him!!!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 02:53 PM

If you are being specifically targeted by a particular person in the work place with unreasonable demands, you can qualify your job as a "hostile work enviroment". There are laws up the butt about turds like this. In your case, you are being subjected to harrasment. This qualifies as a hostile work enviroment. Check your local labor laws and file a complaint. Believe me, when HR gets a letter about this bitch, she will avoid you like the plague.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 PM

It seems like your boss is setting you up for something, like a poor review or a job loss. It certainly couldn't hurt to go through Remedy (or whatever tool you use) and get some ticket closing stats for yourself and other team members so you have some proof of the level at which people are closing tickets. Having your boss tell you to work harder isn't harrassment, so don't even bother going there. Remember you're a professional and keep all your conversations and emails on as professional a level as you can; no double entendre, nothing that could even be misconstued as rude. IF you can get some worthwhile stats together, for both you and a select other few people (including the boss's pet) you can email them to both her and her boss asking what else you can do, as you feel you're ready for more responsibility. It will be more difficult to dismiss you as underachieving with ticket stats.
Do you work under SLAs or SLTs for your tickets? It would help to also note how often you hit the targets for these. I know you state you close your tickets in a day or two but that would be considered far too slow if you worked for me We work on either 30 minute, 1 hour, or 4 hour SLAs for all outages that are single person. Also, are you a staff employee or a contractor where you work?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
It seems like your boss is setting you up for something, like a poor review or a job loss.
So very true. Companies that want to retrench its staffs will find every excuse to find faults on its employees. Its just the way the system works nowadays. It really sucks
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemuniverse777 View Post
If you are being specifically targeted by a particular person in the work place with unreasonable demands, you can qualify your job as a "hostile work enviroment". There are laws up the butt about turds like this. In your case, you are being subjected to harrasment. This qualifies as a hostile work enviroment. Check your local labor laws and file a complaint. Believe me, when HR gets a letter about this bitch, she will avoid you like the plague.
And that can't can you for complaining. That's a whole other legal can of worms that they wouldn't want to open.
I don't know if you work in an "at will" state, but I talked to an attorney who told me that even in "at will" states, workers still have quite a few rights.

Tags
playing guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

pawnshops are stupid
is slash stupid
what does stupid mean

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode