Stupid Trade offers - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Stupid Trade offers

Who has stories about trades that were offered to you that you couldn't believe someone would have the balls to even suggest it?

When I had my R7 up for sale, someone offered me my choice of his Xbox or a 1927 coin, I just put my 50th Anniversary Explorer up for sale or trade and someone asked if I would want to "upgrade" (his actual word) to his $150 Washburn 7 string. I also came across a guy wanting to trade his Marshall AVT150 head for either a Plexi RI, JCM800 or JCM900 head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:10 PM

Re: Stupid Trade offers

I cant top any of those! lol
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:15 PM

Lol, if I put up a trade offer, I at least offer to put money with my stuff because I would know a xbox and a 1927 coin wouldn't be enough haha.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Lol, if I put up a trade offer, I at least offer to put money with my stuff because I would know a xbox and a 1927 coin wouldn't be enough haha.
I know, he at least should have thrown in some games or something. haha
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:13 PM

Brought my Ltd. M-200 to school. "Dude I'll give you $50 bucks for that!"
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulsar View Post
Brought my Ltd. M-200 to school. "Dude I'll give you $50 bucks for that!"
Reminds me of a kid who thought every guitar was made in china since all 5!, yes 5 of his guitars were cheap chinese pieces of crap. He too thought guitars were worth $50 bucks haha
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 PM

on the opposite side, i worked in a music store and a guy wanted to trade in a jackson performer with a floyd, bookmatched maple top, and Jackson hard case for a crappy strat copy. i said "Of course sir! You drive a hard bargain!" he gave us his guitar and two hundred bucks for the strat copy with a gig bag. my boss sold me the jackson for $40 that afternoon. cant say he got ripped off because he got exactly what he wanted. he wanted a cheap strat copy and to not have that jackson.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 12:46 AM

This is classic I was getting rid of an Alienware laptop on CL and some 16 year old offered me a Ipod Touch.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:21 AM

My old Universe was put up for trade eons ago, i got a **** load of dodgy offers for that, bear in mind i was looking for a J-Custom ... Here's a list.

Js100 WITH original Lo-Trs and Dimarzio/Ibz pickups
Epiphone Explorer WITH neck crack, not well repaired (i was told i am good enough to fix it thou)
a Sega Dreamcast and 200 games

But, by far and away the best one was ...

"Hi mate, i have a Uv777bk but i like yours coz it has the Evo7 and Black S/plate, how about a swap and you give me £200"

I bet Rich Harris can own us all on this subject tho (where is he btw?)

Rob
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoGiant View Post
on the opposite side, i worked in a music store and a guy wanted to trade in a jackson performer with a floyd, bookmatched maple top, and Jackson hard case for a crappy strat copy. i said "Of course sir! You drive a hard bargain!" he gave us his guitar and two hundred bucks for the strat copy with a gig bag. my boss sold me the jackson for $40 that afternoon. cant say he got ripped off because he got exactly what he wanted. he wanted a cheap strat copy and to not have that jackson.
Hmmm, i can honestly say i wouldn't have done this tbh, Sold and advised TONS of jemsiters and private sellers over the last 10 or so years, Seems a bit low BUT i guess thats the world we live in.

Out of curiosity have you still got the jackson? Or did you sell it for $40 ?

Rob
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:51 AM

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 05:59 AM
Banned

a mate of mine used to work in a music store in the 1980s.he says this guy came in the store one day with a 1950s strat,didnt know what it was worth and said would you like to buy this guitar give me £80 ($160).so obviously the store mamager took his hands off and gave him the £80.i cant remember exactly how much the guitar was sold on for,but i remember it was a good few thousand.the store manager should have been shot with ****,he should have told the guy what the guitar was worth,but then again the guy should have done his home work first,
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:32 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanez777vbk View Post
a mate of mine used to work in a music store in the 1980s.he says this guy came in the store one day with a 1950s strat,didnt know what it was worth and said would you like to buy this guitar give me £80 ($160).so obviously the store mamager took his hands off and gave him the £80.i cant remember exactly how much the guitar was sold on for,but i remember it was a good few thousand.the store manager should have been shot with ****,he should have told the guy what the guitar was worth,but then again the guy should have done his home work first,
Similar story -back in the 70's when my store opened a guy came in with an acoustic guitar in a grocery bag with the neck sticking out. 3 strings left on it. He wanted $100. for it. It turned out to be an old Martin.
I told him it was probably worth more if I could check into it for him - he said he just needed $100. bucks right then to get his car out of impound....so I gave him $100. and he gave me the grocery bag. Stupid. Never saw the guy again.

1923 Martin. Go figure.

~j
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemaholic View Post
I told him it was probably worth more if I could check into it for him
You gave him an option tho

Rob
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Yeah, I just saw a 1913 gibson acoustic in my techs shop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode