Super Bowl in another Country? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Super Bowl in another Country?

Apparently the NFl is taking bids on holding the SuperBowl in other countries besides the US.

What a crock of ****!!!

The taxpayers and cities who have built stadiums to accomodate these leaches should be in an uproar.

I can honestly say that if this happens , then I am done watching the NFL and will stick with College Ball.

The NFL owners have all been made rich enough here in the US and move their teams when they feel the profit margin is not high enough.
--------------------------------------------------------
We've spoken on what it would take to host and for us to bring it over," said events vice-president Frank Supovitz.

"The city has all the facilities needed, and in great quantity."

Supovitz was talking in New York City where the NFL Draft will take place this weekend.

"We have had very substantive conversations with the city of London. We've got to the point of exploring the bid document," he added.

Visit London, the capital's official visitor organisation, confirmed that it was pursuing a long-term ambition to bring the Super Bowl to the city.

"Ever since the NFL began playing games in London we have been in discussions with the NFL about what is involved in staging Super Bowl from the host city perspective," said commercial director David Hornby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: Super Bowl in another Country?

Cities have to bid on getting a Super Bowl and that means money. Indianapolis' bid for their Super Bowl was $25 million. I think most cities don't have that kind of cash in times like these. And if they could swing it, they probably wouldn't want the news getting out when major cuts are being made elsewhere in state budgets; notably in education!
I'm with you, though, considering the amount of money we've ponied up in taxes to build these stadiums.
Greed is destroying every sport. I'm just now getting around to forgiving the NHL.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I don't view this as Patriotic or uniquely ours. I view this as taxpayers paying for stadiums for the NFL.

The NFL should be obligated by the taxpayers and city governments to hold the Super Bowls in these cities in order for the money to be put back in the local economies.

The Super Bowl generates hundreds of millions of dollars just in local spending from travelers coming to see the games.

Here in Houston we have been taxed for the new stadium. The local business owners should have some loyalty back from the NFL in order for this to be more than just a "Take and Take" relationship.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 PM

Seems like a kick in the teeth to the fans, also, does the NFL have a large enough fan base outside the U.S to pull it off?

I'm sure if someone in Australia suggested they hold the NRL grand final in another country they would be hung, drawn and quartered, then drowned in a billabong.

Rock on!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 01:55 PM

Reviews: 18

No one would attend because american rugby (notice I didn't call it football because it isn't) isn't a sport that anyone gives a rat's ass about elsewhere in the world.

Jimmy
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 02:11 PM

Oh, I thought you weren't calling it football because of a slight case of douchebaggery.
I call carrots "orange spikey things" because that's what they are.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Vendor

The sold out Wembley for a lousy game between the Dolphins and Giants, when the Dolphins were terrible, and the Giants played to their level.....
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 02:32 PM

I wonder how much draw there would be for a game of American Bounce Orange Ball, or American Throw and Hit Ball.

The NHL is going to have the Hawks and (I think) Panthers open their season of North American Ice Puck open in Finland next season.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 03:37 PM

I guess this would be a great way to internationalize the NFL is this hit-or-miss economy...
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 04:44 PM

I dont like it....
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 04:49 PM

It doesn't make any sense to have the Super Bowl in any other country, period.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:31 PM

If it happens I'm done with the NFL. I will no longer watch it or be a fan!
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

I am done with Professional Football.
After playing golf with customers today and hearing others speak about this, **** the NFL.

I will not reorder my SUITE TICKETS for the Houston Texans. When they call me, I will tell them why.
My suite tickets are VERY expensive. I pay a premium price for them and my customers completely understood my aggravation.

I cannot beleive that this is even a thought.

Why don't we just have the World Series in China?
Maybe the NBA finals in India?
Maybe the Stanley Cup in Thailand?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 06:40 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
Oh, I thought you weren't calling it football because of a slight case of douchebaggery.
I guess you are familiar with the term

Jimmy
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 11:37 AM

Or the Nascar Sprint Cup Series in Germany?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode