Super Bowl for beginners - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Super Bowl for beginners

Hi,
Last night I watched my first American football match.
We dont have too much access to this sport over here, so I thought the Super Bowl would be good to watch live.

I must admit I never thought much of this sport, but I found it quite interesting.
But what I found weird was the amount of "not-playing" that goes on.

Maybe its that we arent used to that in Europe, but it doesnt seem to have continuity. Constant interruptions, and the time it takes to set up each play ( unsure on the terminology here) kind of kills the excitement.
Nevermind the fact that I was up till nearly 4.00am to see it finish.

Not trying to bash the game, just to understand it.

Peace

julio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 07:01 AM

Re: Super Bowl for beginners

I know what you mean Julio. American Football is a good game but it takes a long time to complete 60 minutes of actual play. Good for the sponsors and TV adverts though.

don't get me started on cricket though - 5 days for a test match !!! total boredom (a few Aussies might correct me on this )
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:06 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by julio View Post
it doesnt seem to have continuity. Constant interruptions, and the time it takes to set up each play ( unsure on the terminology here) kind of kills the excitement.
bullseye.

the NFL has been ruined by television dollars (high $$$ paid for NFL programming rights to broadcast the games). the regular season is not as bad, but it gets worse during night games then goes to a new level of terrible in the playoffs and of course the superbowl.

the sporting event is a sideshow to adverting products and promoting other CBS shows (like how they kept showing those 3 dorks david spade & co. because their CBS tv show premiers this week)... glen
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:20 AM

I basically watch one football game a year and that's it.

Super Bowl Sunday is 2nd to Thanksgiving (and i guess July 4th) as my favorite holiday/American tradition, whatever you call it.

Have a new HD 42" plasma to watch the game on and the picture was absolutely stunning. The commercials have become as much of an attraction for pop culture geeks like me (and most of my friends). I've been having a "Carb-fest' party every year for as long as i can remember.

Maybe it's a letdown for real football fans, but it's one of my favorite days of the year. One of the few things i look forward to in the cold weather!!!

~K
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:24 AM

Ive never watched a game, but it's basically rugby for wimps isnt it?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:25 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

i think kenny explained it perfect.

it's not even about sports, it's more a hang out session... an excuse to go out, get together and have a party or whatever.

i didn't watch the entire game, nor go out, and watched what i did on a small PIP on my pc monitor (as opposed to my large screen HD projector) with audio turned off... because i didn't want to sit there and soak up advertising and listening to commentators point out the obvious... glen
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

The way I see it, is that the nature of the game is slow as it is, without the advertising breaks.
No disrespect, but it seems to take a long time planning the offense ( unsure how much they allowed...but seems looong) and then it takes avaerage 2 seconds for the attacker to hit the ground. And then start all over again....

Maybe its the comparison to Football (Soccer)? If you dont want to miss anything, you wait till half time to go to the WC

Got to say that it has something to it though....

If there was more playing time I would find it very enjoyable. Got to look up the rules somewhere as I didnt understand all these coloured lines etc.

And hey, I did stay up till 4 am, so it wasnt THAT bad.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
bullseye.

3 dorks david spade & co.
Was this guy ever funny???

To get a real feel for the game you'd have to see an non-televised college game. The game generally moves at a more consistent pace and the play quality is usually more intense. Plus you usually don't have athletes showing off or dancing with every teammate after making a play. (another sad byproduct of TV)
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

We didnt get the adverts. Just a pitch shot while they were on. Would probably have been more entertaining with them.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:36 AM

Actually most of the advertisements this year were lame..... well, at least I thought so.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
I basically watch one football game a year and that's it.
BINGO!

And If Prince wasn't doing the halftime, I may have missed the year entirely.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode