Sweep Picking ugggghhhhhhh! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 6
Sweep Picking ugggghhhhhhh!

I've been spending a lot of time trying to perfect my sweep picking technique lately. Even though it's overused by many and when done badly it's painful, I always loved the sound and think that one should strive to learn every technique in the book.

My guitar playing friends either love djenty stuff or 70s/80s players (the striaght players, not the technical ones). When I mention that I'm working on improving my sweeping the universal reaction has been "sweeeeeping oh!" accompanied by a look that you would usually reserve for someone you caught squatting to take a dump on your kitchen table.

Has anyone else encountered this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 08:18 PM

Re: Sweep Picking ugggghhhhhhh!

I think it sounds awesome... but like you say, it can be overused. When used at the right time it adds a lot... kind of like the tremolo. If you do it all the time you sound like Ben Eller's "Guitar Center Guy"... lol!

That being said, I just can't seen to get a grip on good sweep picking. Mine sounds terrible... so I don't even try anymore.

Maybe someday if I get any better at this "guitar" playing thing.

So are we gonna hear some in your Guitar Challenge track?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 02:43 AM

That just means they cant do it either or it came easy to them and don't think about it,...probably the latter.
If you can strum a chord you can sweep,the only difference is you lift off each note as you play it. Keep that in mind and find some easy diagonal shapes and practice just ascending,just descending then both together. Keep it to 3 or 4 strings,you will get there.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 12:25 PM

The problem with sweep picking is bedroom shredders playing sweep lick after sweep lick with no musical context. Don't get me wrong, it's FUN, but it gets old fast unless you're a guitarist.

Get the core technique down, and then look for ways to incorporate it in your playing in less obvious ways - say, incorporating shorter sweeps into legato or picked lines. Also work on M7, 7, and m7 arpeggios as well and adding altered notes and things that you hear a little less often, and try to find ways to make it sound less cliche.

And then you can just sit in your bedroom when no one's watching and rip off straight, unaltered "video game" sweeps, as the guy I've been taking lessons from to work on the technique calls them. They're fun, even if no one wants to listen to them but you.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 06:47 PM

Yeah bad when over-used but awesome when placed right- keep working on it will only get better in time.
I remember asking this music teacher at my first lesson ( and only one I ever went to after that ) if he could show my how to sweep, he didn't even know what it was and asked if I could give him an example so I put on Jason Becker's 'Altitudes' and when I pointed out the sweep picking section he just sat there bewildered and said "man! there's no way in this life I could show you how to play that" hahaha I said I just wanted you to show me the technique.
Another funny thing is I have joined 2 bands recently and they had never heard sweep picking before so they thought I had invented something new I let them think that for a few days before I let them know otherwise.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
I think it sounds awesome... but like you say, it can be overused. When used at the right time it adds a lot... kind of like the tremolo. If you do it all the time you sound like Ben Eller's "Guitar Center Guy"... lol!

That being said, I just can't seen to get a grip on good sweep picking. Mine sounds terrible... so I don't even try anymore.

Maybe someday if I get any better at this "guitar" playing thing.

So are we gonna hear some in your Guitar Challenge track?
Mine too, but after abandoning it for a while, going through Ben's videos and the videos of a guy who calls himself Judge Shred (despite the name, he's great and gives good pointers) I managed to improve it somewhat where it's no longer like ear rape.

Lol not for the backing track, I had an idea for using picked arpeggios for part of the chorus, but I decided against it. It's still too close to Ben Eller's GC guy to attempt it on the backing track.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey j grieve View Post
That just means they cant do it either or it came easy to them and don't think about it,...probably the latter.
If you can strum a chord you can sweep,the only difference is you lift off each note as you play it. Keep that in mind and find some easy diagonal shapes and practice just ascending,just descending then both together. Keep it to 3 or 4 strings,you will get there.
It's weird, it's more a "why would you want to learn that" look with a slight look of disgust.

Thank you for the encouragement. It's weird, I find 5 strings easier than 3 when both ascending and descending (my muting hasn't quite caught up with doing 3 ascending, then descending on the next on the high strings and I still have to be mindful of the G, it's a bastard that loves to ring at harmonic points).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
The problem with sweep picking is bedroom shredders playing sweep lick after sweep lick with no musical context. Don't get me wrong, it's FUN, but it gets old fast unless you're a guitarist.

Get the core technique down, and then look for ways to incorporate it in your playing in less obvious ways - say, incorporating shorter sweeps into legato or picked lines. Also work on M7, 7, and m7 arpeggios as well and adding altered notes and things that you hear a little less often, and try to find ways to make it sound less cliche.

And then you can just sit in your bedroom when no one's watching and rip off straight, unaltered "video game" sweeps, as the guy I've been taking lessons from to work on the technique calls them. They're fun, even if no one wants to listen to them but you.
That's so true, for practice sake I've been running from sweep into sweep, usually minor, major and diminished. My next target is 7th and so on. I've been trying to teach myself how to sweep into or out of runs while making it as natural as possible or going from a bend to a descending sweep at the appropriate chord change.

Lmao, the bedroom thing is quite true or as I prefer to call it "closet sweeping", even Mrs. Laobi is getting pretty sick of hearing my practice sessions which sometimes only consist of legato and sweeping, so now I use headphones a lot more. My legato is very cliche ridden and to be honest piss poor, but one hurdle at a time, so I'm devoting more of my time to sweeping first.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibag View Post
Yeah bad when over-used but awesome when placed right- keep working on it will only get better in time.
I remember asking this music teacher at my first lesson ( and only one I ever went to after that ) if he could show my how to sweep, he didn't even know what it was and asked if I could give him an example so I put on Jason Becker's 'Altitudes' and when I pointed out the sweep picking section he just sat there bewildered and said "man! there's no way in this life I could show you how to play that" hahaha I said I just wanted you to show me the technique.
Another funny thing is I have joined 2 bands recently and they had never heard sweep picking before so they thought I had invented something new I let them think that for a few days before I let them know otherwise.
Lol you should have given the technique a funny technical sounding name that can't be searched and left them in awe for months.

Yes I had a teacher that feared Marty Friedman (during the Megadeth days) in the early 90s, as a result I ended up playing straight pentatonics, stuck in a rut and stopped playing for about 15 years.

Remember in the mid to late 90s when in a lot of people's eyes if a guitar player did a solo it was just "so 80s and uncool man!". Well I think that's how many of my friends see sweeping and legato, from what I can gather if it's not drop tuned and you venture higher than the D you'll be about as welcome as a fart in a space suit with many of the local guys here.

Just wondered if anyone else had encountered similar reactions when discussing techniques with other players.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laobi View Post
Lol you should have given the technique a funny technical sounding name that can't be searched and left them in awe for months.

Yes I had a teacher that feared Marty Friedman (during the Megadeth days) in the early 90s, as a result I ended up playing straight pentatonics, stuck in a rut and stopped playing for about 15 years.

Remember in the mid to late 90s when in a lot of people's eyes if a guitar player did a solo it was just "so 80s and uncool man!". Well I think that's how many of my friends see sweeping and legato, from what I can gather if it's not drop tuned and you venture higher than the D you'll be about as welcome as a fart in a space suit with many of the local guys here.

Just wondered if anyone else had encountered similar reactions when discussing techniques with other players.
Well this is just from watching a few bands at Owari Metal Fest 2014 (a local event where a bunch of metal bands comes to Nagoya to play like 30 minute sets). I watched all the guitar players (especially this one band Arion, from Finland but I'll save that discussion for somewhere else) techniques and the only band that really incorporated any serious sweeping was Arion, all the Japanese bands were more traditional legato (the last band was thrashy sounding but the few solos I heard were far more major/minor penta based). Not a whole lot of sweeping.

The one thing my teacher told me is that if you dont have good legato it's pointless to even do sweeping as you need to have your left hand and right hand in sync on top of your legato playing needs to be top notch in order to even learn how to synchronize both hands. I haven't even bothered tackling sweeping yet, I wanna be able to do left hand legato like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83zX_JZX38k

To me, this kind of legato is far cooler than just sweeping mindlessly all the time
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laobi View Post

Yeah I did told them it was something I called my slippery arpeggios and they googled it and could find nothing, I just should have kept it going a little longer than I did but it was still funny as once the cat was outta they bag, I also told the rhythm guitarist who has been playing for 3years I had been playing for a year but I have been close to 11years, and once we played he was like totally bummed out for like 5songs and I told him the truth hahaha love that look on his face of relief.

Marty is awesome, learning his solos taught me how to do hammer on's and pull off's in my sweep picking shapes properly. Man if I was a music teacher I would fear him too- guy has monster chops and the knowledge to back it up.

Yeah the over abundance of guitar solo's in the 80's killed it for the 90's for a while though alot of bands in the 90's weren't trying to hard to play really nice decent solo's anyway so you could understand that attitude.
Joe, Steve, Dimebag, Nuno, EJ and a fair few other players were flying the solo flag pretty good in the 90's but I have read lots of old guitar world books where the new guitarists had that attitude towards solo's, I remember reading Linkin Park's guitarists saying guitar solo's sucked and where so cheesy, this coming from the guy who live plays like he has a broken hand haha.

Yeah young dudes here the same if it ain't chugging on the D and the singer is roaring it ain't cool- they will learn one day well hopefully haha.

Only thing I have ever been told by a band once was, too never do double hand tapping or play Stairway to Heaven, I gave them 1 outta 2 and never played Stairway

Tags
disdain , disgust , reaction , sweep picking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode