swine flu - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

swine flu

first the recession and now this. i'm reading up on it now. hopefully it's nothing like the spanish flu was back in the day. regardless of how large or small, the media is running with it....as they are so good at doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 02:51 PM

Re: swine flu

Yeah I hate these pandemic scares but I think it will be under control fairly quickly. The medical system today is a lot different from when the spanish flu thing happened.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti View Post
The medical system today is a lot different from when the spanish flu thing happened.
this is true. that's actually one of the things they said at CNN. i just love the media. there could be just one person with a box of kleenex and a runny nose and it's all over the news...RUN FOR YOUR LOVES! BOARD UP YOUR WINDOWS! SAVE YOURSELVES! there's an OUTBREAK!
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Banned

my dad recons he has this swine flu.he is poorly with the flu weather or not its swine flu we dont know ??.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:25 PM

Reviews: 1

True -the media tends to sell the sizzle more than facts.

But this really could be a problem. This particular strain has not ever been seen before, and there is no known antidote or antibiotic that works on it. Tamiflu doesn't work Flu-shots don't work. Mostly, these burn out and stay in a relatively small geographic area, but this is popping up all over the USA at the same time-

- that's probably due to Spring Break. Students from all over the world went to Mexico. Incubation period still can infect others before you show symptoms, so it's spreading faster than we can track it. Inerestingly, most viruses attack the very young and very old, but this one is taking down 18-45 year olds. That is alarming.

The big fear from the CDC is that it appears to be mutating into a different virus in humans.
When a virus jumps species it usually burns out quick, but this seems to get stronger.

Best to keep watch on this one....

~j
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned

Cool. The Black Plague....um, the Swine Plague that is. This could get interesting. Sometimes I wish I had TV just to watch the hysteria.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 10:24 PM

Reviews: 120

I am a little concerned about it as some of my family has just been in Mexico and LA this past week. I hope they are all feeling ok!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 PM

To help put it into perspective...

"Compared to the ordinary flu that many Canadians catch each year, swine flu has so far been quite mild.

The Public Health Agency’s website says on average, the common flu sends about 20,000 Canadians to hospital each year. Between 4,000 and 8,000 Canadians can die of influenza and its complications annually, depending on the severity of the season."
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 AM

Funny how Obama was just in mexico two weeks ago and they mentioned nothing in the news.Then an explosion of information ,Mexico city on lockdown and mandatory quarantine
of a family here in Texas. Also talk of mandatory quarantine in federal detention facility for anyone with any flu like symptoms.I don't think we have to worry about the sine flu and worry about peoples hysteria and the insane mindset toward others that infects peoples ignorant minds. Pig in a poke!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 02:24 AM

God bless Australia and its Geographical placement!
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 04:34 AM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibz_SA View Post
God bless Australia and its Geographical placement!
I Think I heard yesterday on the news that it's hit the north. I'm not sure I only caught a few seconds of it.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 PM

There's no confirmed in Australia yet, but there are a bunch of suspected ones. Doctors are currently investigating.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 PM

Up to 500,000 die worldwide each year due to the plain old garden variety flu. This is being completely blown out of proportion.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taracatac View Post
Up to 500,000 die worldwide each year due to the plain old garden variety flu. This is being completely blown out of proportion.
I think you're missing a little here. The reason why this strain is freaking out so many people is because it's killing young healthy people.

Those 500,000 people dying from regular strain of influenza are mostly the young, and elderly.

If there is a strain of flu that can kill off those strongest to deal with regular influenza then there is a major concern. It actually affects the primary workforce, which in turn affects many other things.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I think you're missing a little here. The reason why this strain is freaking out so many people is because it's killing young healthy people.
Let's not forget though that these people that are dying are not US citizens but Mexican citizens. I'm not saying for sure that Mexican citizens have lower health, but doesn't it seem odd that only one american, and a toddler at that, has died of the swine flu? Many people are already infected in Texas and they have been known to be recovering fine from it.

In my opinion, the media is blowing it way out of proportion and isn't as serious as it's being made out to be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode