Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/12/28/AR2007122800693.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:33 AM

Angry Re: Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

Quote:
Copying a song you bought is "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy,' " she said.
That is atrocious. They're basically cashing in your rights for pure greed
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Re: Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

this is an oportune time for a start up record co to make its way to the top
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 09:50 AM

Whilst I'm vehemently against copyright theft and illegal file sharing, that is absolutely ludicrous! Hopefully the RIAA can be sued for bringing about a frivolous court case!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:30 AM

I want to know how they find out what someone has on their computer in the first place.

I think it's a bit rude that they f**k someone's life up just to make a statement and they could at least go after the people who obtain music illegally in the first place.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:27 AM

Reviews: 1

She was caught sharing the music.
If you make a copy for yourself, you're IMO within the bounds of the law, if you give it away, post it online, pass it along on a peer to peer network, then you're in violation. She must've done one of those to be caught. I want to know how they arrive at the dollar amount for what ever 'damages' the company has supposedly received?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM

I know the women with the $9000 per song was a sharer and she probably deserved SOMETHING (but not a $200,000 debt), the author of the article seemed to imply that this guy didn't share although it wouldn't be quite a provacative article if he stated that he did.

Copying music for personel use is legal in australia, the laws differ wildly between countries though. I'm guessing that there's no way the record companies would get away with sueing 20,000 people like that here and the police have better things to do with their time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:04 PM

So they're saying that if I copy a song from a CD I own to my ipod, I'm stealing. I really hope they're not going to persue this train of thought. The backlash would be very painful.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:44 PM

Reviews: 16

I'd like to know how they can determine that someone has music on their computer. Are they using the P2P engines to seek out people with music, get their IP and then send a lawsuit to them? Seems to me they would need a search warrant to get that information. Just because some P2P search engine says someone at an IP address has such-n-such music, doesn't constitute as viable proof.

If having copied music on your computer is illegal, then keep it off your computer. What is the definition of "computer"? It's that box sitting beside your desk that has all the electronics in it, right. Put it on a removeable drive that you can put somewhere else. Put it on a flash drive. If they want to use the word computer then they can't say...."Oh, yea, but they put it onto something else and then....da.da.da.da.da."

What about all the people that dubbed cassette tapes back in the day? What about all the people that recorded their favorite songs off the radio onto tapes?

I think it's very if'y what these RIAA lawyers are doing. The way I understand the law there is nothing wrong with personal copies. It's when you distribute those copies for free or profit that gets you into trouble. I think they're making this up as they go to maybe make up for the cash they've lost to iTune-type downloads.

If that's the case we could make up a website that proclaims that the members herein enter into agreement with all known and unknown record companies and lables that it is legal to buy music, make and have personal copies for personal use. That way it's a matter of public record on the internet.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:52 PM

As far as I'm aware they track the user's IP with P2P clients and then go to the IP address and through Windows which has a backdoor for the government for legal purposes.

Has anyone seen the 'El Burrito/Knock-Off Nigel' campaign here in the UK? It's ridiculous. Check this out: http://www.knockoffornot.com/elburrito/ Someone will think they're playing a cheeky prank on a friend but really they're grassing them up to the law!!

Edit: Forgot to mention they also get your IP address and then get your home details via your internet provider and send you a letter... usually asking for money.

Last edited by Davey; 12-31-2007 at 01:58 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

I'd like to know how they can determine that someone has music on their computer. Are they using the P2P engines to seek out people with music, get their IP and then send a lawsuit to them? Seems to me they would need a search warrant to get that information. Just because some P2P search engine says someone at an IP address has such-n-such music, doesn't constitute as viable proof.

If having copied music on your computer is illegal, then keep it off your computer. What is the definition of "computer"? It's that box sitting beside your desk that has all the electronics in it, right. Put it on a removeable drive that you can put somewhere else. Put it on a flash drive. If they want to use the word computer then they can't say...."Oh, yea, but they put it onto something else and then....da.da.da.da.da."

What about all the people that dubbed cassette tapes back in the day? What about all the people that recorded their favorite songs off the radio onto tapes?

I think it's very if'y what these RIAA lawyers are doing. The way I understand the law there is nothing wrong with personal copies. It's when you distribute those copies for free or profit that gets you into trouble. I think they're making this up as they go to maybe make up for the cash they've lost to iTune-type downloads.

If that's the case we could make up a website that proclaims that the members herein enter into agreement with all known and unknown record companies and lables that it is legal to buy music, make and have personal copies for personal use. That way it's a matter of public record on the internet.

Well Played!!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by courtney2018 View Post

If that's the case then that evidence should NEVER hold up in court, it is impossible for an outside user to see the individual computers' IP addresses behind a router, you can only view the IP address of the router. This means you can't determine which computer on the network you are looking at and even then you can't tell who was using that computer in the first place.

Evidence like that is only useful to obtain a warrant to confiscate the actual computer and then search it.

EDIT, the ISP providing them with your name is the most likely explanation, It's not surprising in the least considering how interconnected the media giants and ISP's are.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 05:53 AM

Something that pisses me off further about this, is that of all companys to complain Sony should be the LAST to make such outlandish issues out of it.

If it weren't for the fact that you could fit modchips into the Playstation 1 many people wouldn't of bothered with that console and that is a proven fact. At one time Sony couldn't understand why hardware sales were so high yet software sales were so low and it was all because of the people buying the machines, copying the games and only buying a couple of originals. Word of mouth spread and then everybody wanted a Playstation so some folks were buying originals. After that people bought the PS2 because they thought it was a safe bet since the first was so popular (and they could play their old originals) and now we're onto the third. Piracy saved that original console, do your homework if you don't believe me.

And yes I know games and music industries are different things, but they aren't that much different.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez249 View Post
And yes I know games and music industries are different things, but they aren't that much different.
Games, music, movies and TV are all forms of popular media and they are all owned and run by the same companies.

On that note I remember a repair guy in Oz was bold (or naive) enough to advertize PS mods, Sony sued him, he fought and won. So mod chips are a norm with everyone I know and you don't have to take your console to some run down old house in the suburbs to get it done anymore. Same thing with DVD regions, when I bought my DVD player I asked if they had a regionless one and the guy said the repairman at the store would take the region lock off any of them anyway.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Reviews: 16

I never did understand the bit about DVD regions, and why you couldn't get a player that could play any disc from any region. Made no sense to me. Well, it does. It means you have to buy the same title again for the region player you have, which means more money to the movie company. But now-a-days you can buy a regionless player. I picked up a regionless player from Phillips a couple of years ago of off Amazon for around $65. It's not a top notch player. I just wanted something that would play some TV shows I like from Britian.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode