tell me about Savannah, GA! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

tell me about Savannah, GA!

Hey guys!
my gal pal and i visited over the summer and freaking LOVED it. we're trying to move to a city this year and we're thinking this may be the one for us. I'm a musician, she's a photographer, and we've both graduated from college. can anyone give me some more info on this cool town?
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Re: tell me about Savannah, GA!

Savannah's OK I guess. I was born and raised here, so everything interesting and "touristy" is boring to me by this point. There are a few things that I do not like about the city...sand gnats... crappy public schools... pollen... humidity... crime in certain neighborhoods, but those negatives are far outweighed by all the great things about the city. Savannah is pretty much sandal and shorts weather all year round except for March. The Southern hospitality is here in spades. There are a lot of good quirky restaurants. If you are a golfer, there are courses galore. The beach is clean (the atlantic ocean water is a different story). There are cultural events all the time. The longest commute for work is only 30 mins. Savannah is the perfect size, not too small, not too large. Since you're from Tennessee, I'm sure you're used to the Southern mindset, so you'd have no problem adjusting to this city.

It's kinda hard for me to describe the town even though I've lived here my whole life. If you have any questions you'd like me to answer, feel free to shoot.

Phi ^_^
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 03:28 PM

What part of TN are you from?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

i'm from jefferson city, a stupidly tiny town outside of knoxville...

thanks for the info, man! what's the job market like there right now? seems like the rent is pretty low around there.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:20 PM

Depends. What kinda job are you looking for?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

well, i've been teaching guitar lessons for the past 4 or 5 years and would like to continue doing that! I'd also consider some kind of cool art/graphic design job. My girlfriend is a photographer, but is also into doing office work kind of stuff.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:19 AM

Oh yeah, there are two music stores in Savannah that you could teach at (AMR Music and Portman's Music Superstore), or you could even teach from your house. As far as the graphic design job, you have to realize that there are tons of SCAD students that fight for those types of jobs, so unless you're really good or really cheap, it'll be hard to find a job in that field.

In terms of photography, I think the biggest gig is weddings and whadayaknow, wedding season is coming up shortly. I got no idea about office jobs.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

do you happen to know what the going monthly rate for lessons is? I get paid $50 per month per student here.
you're a great help, man! i really appreciate it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:05 PM

I can only speak for AMR Music because I know the people there better, but it costs 20 dollars for one 30 minute lesson. The 20 is split in half for the store and the teacher. So you would make 40 bucks a student if the student came 4 times a month. If that's not enough for you, you can always do private lessons. Heck, if you're good enough with jazz, you could really rack up some money. There's a semi-famous jazz/fusion cat down here that charges 100 dollars for an hour lesson!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

jeeeez! a 50/50 split between store and teacher is freaking horrible!!! I make $42 per $50 student here.
also..... jeeeeeez! 100 for an hour lesson?? That guy is making, like, whore money!

Tags
georgia , savannah

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode