terrifying! anyone get a DUI? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 11
terrifying! anyone get a DUI?

Got pulled over for DUI tonight. had four beers and a long island over 6 hours. Felt fine, certainly decent enough to drive. Was texting a friend, and accidently swerved over a lane a bit and sure enough *WHOOP WHOOP*. Sirens behind me.

I wanted to vomit.

Long story short, ended up getting arrested and going to the drunk tank to do my testing. After about an hour of uncontrollable shaking and fear, I did my breathalyzer.... .073 O.o. One more beer or 30 minutes sooner and Id be in jail right now.

Moral of the story, even if you feel fine to drive, just get a damn cab. Hope no one here goes through anything like that, its just not worth it. Texting while driving = bad as well.

Just wanting to share my near career ending experience with people here. Consider this a "lesson learned"!!!! please dont turn this into a moral battle, I was literally ok to drive, legally speaking as well, but I was darn close! I wouldnt have felt a difference with one more beer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: terrifying! anyone get a DUI?

Also, for $50.00, you folks can get one of these...just to make sure:
http://www.breathalyzer.net/bactrack-select-s30.html

I'll abide by Penguin's request and not get into the morals of getting behind the wheel with any alcohol in the system, but if you do plan on driving after having even a few drinks--this $50.00 will be a life saver.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Also, for $50.00, you folks can get one of these...just to make sure:
http://www.breathalyzer.net/bactrack-select-s30.html

I'll abide by Penguin's request and not get into the morals of getting behind the wheel with any alcohol in the system, but if you do plan on driving after having even a few drinks--this $50.00 will be a life saver.

At the end of the day, Im a responsible guy. I KNOW when I shouldnt be driving. IF I was actually intoxicated, theyd have thrown me in jail regardless. It just happens that number was higher then I expected. No drinks = No driving, that should be the case, but in life its not. You bet yourself whatever you own that will be my rule from now on. Im just glad it was a cop that pulled me over, and not me smashing into a minivan full of a family. Again, I wasnt "drunk" per say, but its definitely a "sobering" night, to say the least. (no pun intended).
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Was texting a friend, and accidently swerved over a lane a bit
So you actually weren't drunk but you were texting at the wheel? And you only swerved out of your lane a bit? I guess it's just as well you weren't drunk but only driving dangerously then...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 07:09 AM

4 US beers? That's about one real beer isn't it?

I suspect many of us have pushed our luck with driving after a beer, glad no harm was done in this case and the lesson learned. Nothing like fear to make a lesson stick in your mind!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Seriously a guy who has your job(so I have to pressume you have a certain level of intelligence) didn't know you should never ever drive after drinking?
Driving after drinking is a completely lack of respect for your own life and even worse,for others lives
As a scuba diving instructor sometimes police call us to to take cars out of the rivers,100% of the time those DUMB drivers were drunk and they always hit other cars before fell into a river.I already saw a drunk father and 2 kids dead inside of a car in a dirty river.
Dumb people everywhere.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:46 AM

Texting while driving = just as bad as drunk driving - don't do it.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Stupid is as stupid does.

Glad you've been able to walk away from it though.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 03:24 PM

In Georgia it is also illegal to text and drive. And they would have given you a breathalyzer on the side of the road, that extra hours you had probably saved you a conviction.

Don't forget, alcohol impairs judgment. You probably weren't as safe to drive as you think you were.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 05:05 PM

impaired judgment evidence = texting while driving

glad you didn't hurt anyone and yourself.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
In Georgia it is also illegal to text and drive. And they would have given you a breathalyzer on the side of the road, that extra hours you had probably saved you a conviction.

Don't forget, alcohol impairs judgment. You probably weren't as safe to drive as you think you were.

Not really dude, I got pulled over at 1:23, my tank breathalyzer was done at 1:38. doubt that 15 minutes did much.

Point I'm trying to make. If you go out to dinner, and have a few beers, or go over and "Watch the game" and have a few beers, you probably feel fine to drive, but dont do it. Thats pretty much what happened with me. 5 drinks over several hours. Never thought Id blow a .73 after what i had to drink. In my business we share our mistakes, learning from our own as well as others. Im 100% positive, that Im not the only one here that texts and drives. Is it stupid, sure. It happens though.

Id appreciate it if you guys would get off your moral high ground and realize what Im trying to say/do here. Im in no way shape or form trying to say I wasn't wrong, I was dead wrong. Lesson learned the easy way thank god. I wasnt blacking out drunk or taking others lives into consideration any more then when im driving home after a mid shift (6pm - 6 am), but the lesson here is damage control. Minimize your risks, and be smarter then I was last night. Im not trying to preach to the 30/40 somethings here, this is a message to the younger people that you are not "ok to drive", you are not "being safe" when you take things into your own hands. A 20 dollar cab ride would have saved me a few hundred dollars (let go with a speeding ticket of all things) at the very far end of the spectrum, at least look at it like that!!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Banned

...it's also a point not to text while driving. Drinking and driving is one thing, but I think the point that is being missed by some is the texting while driving part. We just had a horrible accident up here last year in which a woman was texting while driving, completely sober, veered into oncoming traffic and killed a family of four.
Penguin showed some serious brass by fessing up to his mistake and lesson learned, but also posted his experience in an online forum for all to see. We all know it's a horrible thing he did times two--but at least he was man enough to share the story for the younger Jemsiters to learn from. That's the essence of this site--share stories and learn from others. Don't get me wrong--I'm not defending his actions in any way, in fact--I get madder than hell when I hear crap like this. My family is on the road when drunks and texters are terrorizing our highways, and it scares the crap out of me and I wan't to knock the daylights out of these people. But, he fessed up and want's his shared experience to possibly help others avoid a similar situation.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
...it's also a point not to text while driving. Drinking and driving is one thing, but I think the point that is being missed by some is the texting while driving part. We just had a horrible accident up here last year in which a woman was texting while driving, completely sober, veered into oncoming traffic and killed a family of four.
Penguin showed some serious brass by fessing up to his mistake and lesson learned, but also posted his experience in an online forum for all to see. We all know it's a horrible thing he did times two--but at least he was man enough to share the story for the younger Jemsiters to learn from. That's the essence of this site--share stories and learn from others. Don't get me wrong--I'm not defending his actions in any way, in fact--I get madder than hell when I hear crap like this. My family is on the road when drunks and texters are terrorizing our highways, and it scares the crap out of me and I wan't to knock the daylights out of these people. But, he fessed up and want's his shared experience to possibly help others avoid a similar situation.

While I dont want to be categorized as a "drunk" or a "texter", you seem to get my point. People make mistakes, and its up to the individual to learn from them. I went to a BBQ and drove home. A buddy texted me to see how I was doing, and I responded to it while driving. Such is life. I just want JUST ONE person to realize they are not superman, they are not "ok to drive" no matter how much they have to drink. Proper planning and cab usage is well worth the "trouble". I have no idea why I didnt get a cab, but you bet your !## thats going to be what I use in the future.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:49 AM

I'm not Superman!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Euphor View Post
I'm not Superman!
Darn right you're not Superman--you're Thor! Get it? Thor?......Norway.......Thor?!?...........cricket. .............cricket...........cricket..........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode