Is there a "great" guitar player? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Is there a "great" guitar player?

I know, I know, Satch, Vai, Malmsteen, Gilbert, blah blah blah blah blah, they all bring the same bag, sometimes cool tunes with mildly impressive licks... I'm not saying I can play them, but I am saying everytime I go to the guitar store there are at least a couple people that can. I wanna see the Michael Jordan of guitar, the Mickey Mantle of shred, someone that is clearly a step ahead. Someone, who plays something, and you're gonig... what the hell was that? I've tried buckethead, he's not even close to what i'm looking for. So if anyone has any amazing, otherworldly great guitar player, please share! Thanks all, take care!
Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 11:55 AM

Re: Is there a "great" guitar player?

Guthrie Govan.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 12:03 PM

You might be looking for guys like Rusty Cooley, Micheal Angelo Batio, Ron Thal, Mattias Ia Eklundh, Dave Martone, Terry Syrek, or any of the other insane shredders out there.

To be honest though, if Satriani, Vai, Malmsteen or Gilbert can't impress you with their licks, your gonna have real trouble finding someone who can.

The problem seems to be that the guys who have the "over the top chops" have spent all their time running scales and killing metronomes, when they should have been studying songwriting.

Hope this helps.

Rock on!
post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

I think you may have hit the nail on the head HeavyMetal4ever. Thats gotta be it, because it would be insane to see someone with those chops write a great great song. Ideally though, I wanna see someone thats unreplicatable, what they play is so hard, no one could play it.. That probably doesn't exist though. I did check out Mattias Eklundh, he is very very very amazing, same with Shawn Lane, though there are videos on the utube of people playing their stuff.. so their not untouchable. I think I may just be too picky. But, it would be nice to see a great guitar player write great songs.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Priceless!!!
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:12 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jairic View Post
I know, I know, Satch, Vai, Malmsteen, Gilbert, blah blah blah blah blah, they all bring the same bag, sometimes cool tunes with mildly impressive licks... I'm not saying I can play them, but I am saying everytime I go to the guitar store there are at least a couple people that can. I wanna see the Michael Jordan of guitar, the Mickey Mantle of shred, someone that is clearly a step ahead. Someone, who plays something, and you're gonig... what the hell was that? I've tried buckethead, he's not even close to what i'm looking for. So if anyone has any amazing, otherworldly great guitar player, please share! Thanks all, take care!
Jake
Shawn Lane. Simple as that. If you can figure out the stuff he played, you're a better man than me. I know you've checked him out already, but no one even comes close to doing what Shawn did.
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:15 PM

Waste of time Dee....he's already dismissed Shawn as not untouchable So....he wants someone that is playing stuff that is IMPOSSIBLE....yet as they are actually playing it then they aren't untouchable
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
sometimes cool tunes with mildly impressive licks... I'm not saying I can play them.... Jake
this is the best bit....
why dont you try learning them....?
even better, learn the theory behind them, add up all the hours it takes you to do that and then decide how impressive they are...

alternatively, just listen to somethig else and stop pretending to be mildly impressed by some of the worlds best guitarists..

do you want musical infulences or just a senseless shred album to listen to ?
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

I appologize, I kinda came across wrong there. I meant that I would like to see someone play something no one else could. I definately cannot play Shawn Lane stuff, so I wouldn't even try to figure that out, same with any of the other players listed, lol. But still for entertainment purposes, it'd be cool to hear something otherworldy great. So again, sorry if I offended anyone. You know what though, I'd bet there are some guys on this forum that can play some unbelievable stuff, that'd be nice to hear some Jemsiters play.
Jake
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:52 PM

John Petrucci is also great... Just check out the solo below. If that's not impressive, I don't know what is, really.

John Petrucci solo

But the cool thing is, is that he uses his technique artistically. Like Satriani and Vai etc. do to. To just listen to someone who just plays at the speed of light for the sake of it, is kinda tiresome to me.

Alwin
post #11 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
I appologize, I kinda came across wrong there. I meant that I would like to see someone play something no one else could. I definately cannot play Shawn Lane stuff, so I wouldn't even try to figure that out, same with any of the other players listed, lol. But still for entertainment purposes, it'd be cool to hear something otherworldy great. So again, sorry if I offended anyone. You know what though, I'd bet there are some guys on this forum that can play some unbelievable stuff, that'd be nice to hear some Jemsiters play.
Jake
You could check out Eric Johnson aswell. I saw him play some amazing stuff, too.

Alwin
post #12 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

That was an AWESOME solo. I loved that! I would love to know why he left Ibanez guitars

Last edited by jairic; 10-09-2007 at 03:06 PM.
post #13 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

I used to hang out on the fender discussion page, and everytime i mentioned ibanez guitars, they'd talk about how they are for those soul-less shredders, low and behold I come to an ibanez site, and they still hate on shredders lol.
post #14 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I used to hang out on the fender discussion page, and everytime i mentioned ibanez guitars, they'd talk about how they are for those soul-less shredders, low and behold I come to an ibanez site, and they still hate on shredders lol.
Im in the middle of building a guitar with a strat pickup layout and an Ibanez look/feel....

dont like strats, cos of the neck profile... so the solution is make an ibanez with strat pups..

no offense taken here, merely an observation based on what you thought you wanted...
personally I dont go for the shredders, I still really like listening to Jimmy Paige.. amongst many others.
he coudnt shred as such, but he was/is a damn good player.
post #15 of 72 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Banned

outside of the obvious ones,vai..evh..malmsteen..ect ect.i like jake e lee and jon sykes.both fantastic guitarists.whitesnakes 1987 album is my fav guitar album of all time.and was voted best guitar album of 1987.

Tags
acoustic guitar , alexi laiho , allan holdsworth , angelo batio , backing track , blues saraceno , brett garsed , eric johnson , guitar players , guthrie govan , ibanez guitars , jason becker , jeff beck , jimmy page , joe satriani , john petrucci , john sykes , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , michael romeo , mike keneally , robert fripp , ron thal , rusty cooley , scott henderson , shawn lane , steve vai , string skipping , tony macalpine , uli jon roth , van halen , wah pedal , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode