That/those purchase(s) you wish you could have made - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

That/those purchase(s) you wish you could have made

Have any of you guys ever missed out on a very good deal at any point of your life? (guitars, cars etc).

So I've just purchased my 770 (which still hasn't arrived, and getting a little pissed to be honest), and what do I find in Singapore? A used RG2120X with Dimarzio (Air Norton and Steve Special) and a case at SGD$900! Sure there are some scratches, scuffs and dings here and there, but the price is unbelievable!

Grrr...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 12:27 PM

Re: That/those purchase(s) you wish you could have made

I've missed out on alot of deals. There was this RG 1077XL that I wanted to buy so bad when It was going for sale at www.sevenstring.org
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:09 PM

I am not sure if it was real ESP but last winter my dad was in USA and he was suppous to buy a guitar for me from there. At first they couldn't find guitars I was looking for but then my dad's friend found somekind of used Floyd Rose ESP but unfortunately dad had already flew back to Finland and I had agreed with him that we are buying a guitar for me from Finland. At that time I didn't know very much about ESP's but now later I've started to think if it was some old ESP M or Horizon series guitar and it's really annoing to think it because now I know that those Japanese ESP's are awesome guitars.

Another was when I had just bought my latest guitar I saw Valley Arts Custom Pro Steve Lukather signature on E-bay for about 800$! At first I was really dissapointed because Valley Arts Custom Pro is my ultimate dream guitar. ''Luckily'' the price raised to about 1300$ so I knew that in the end I couldn't have any changes to buy it.

Last edited by shredfreak; 12-22-2005 at 04:33 PM.
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 03:18 PM

It seems that everytime I have my mind set on a guitar I'm "Just" a few dollars short and then it sells. I must go onto Ibanezrules everyday and look at the used section. There are a couple of instruments there That I would love to own. My One time dream was to own a USA carved top Peavey Wolfgang but the prices seem out of control to me. Right now I would really like a simple Ibanez RG 3120 in deep red. Tuggey
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:39 PM

The one guitar I wish I purchased was the MRG that Gurj now owns. I saw it within 10 minutes of it being listed and pondered if I should get it. Went back there a day or two later and it was gone... Oh well.. I'll just get something better
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:40 PM

In '78 I passed on a very good-excellent '59 Burst for 7500 bucks. I also passed on a D'Angelico Excel that year for 900 bucks.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-22-2005, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
The one guitar I wish I purchased was the MRG that Gurj now owns. I saw it within 10 minutes of it being listed and pondered if I should get it. Went back there a day or two later and it was gone... Oh well.. I'll just get something better
Sorry bud, but as soon as I saw it, I knew that I was gonna buy. But if I ever decide to sell, I'll give you first shout

Anyways, theres been a few I regret missing, the latest was the Texas Special that Rich had a while ago. That and a jem10 he also sold. One day......
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
In '78 I passed on a very good-excellent '59 Burst for 7500 bucks. I also passed on a D'Angelico Excel that year for 900 bucks.
I'm not surprised if a new Excel today costs three times more.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 12:47 PM

I missed out on a 1960 Les Paul Black Beauty for only $800. In very good shape except a belt mark in back. Just bought the G&L days before so I didn't have the money.... If I had a way to buy it, I could have sold it for a car or something.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 04:09 PM

There's always the passing thought in my mind about not trying to scrape the meoney together to get the weird 7string XL a few years back. Never seen anything like it since.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze_1
I'm not surprised if a new Excel today costs three times more.
This was a John D'Angelico Excel. You'd be very lucky to touch one now for less than 15 grand.
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:06 PM

There was a nice Jackson Stealth on the bay once. An early MIJ Pro line, with Schaller 590 trem, flame maple blueburst veneer, ebony board. Closed at $250 with no bids. It went up again and someone else made an offline deal before I bid. Never shoulda hesitated... Also think I shoulda went $500 on a near minty reverse blueburst radius. I have ONE, but a spare is always cool...
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
This was a John D'Angelico Excel. You'd be very lucky to touch one now for less than 15 grand.

If it were me, I'd be kicking myself pretty hard in the @$$.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-25-2007, 10:50 PM

Thought i'd resurrect an old thread instead of starting a new one.

My local music shop has a huge sale happening this weekend, and all the regulars received a brochure in the mail about a week ago.
Anyway, they had a Marshall 1936 Cabinet in As New Condition for a really insane price of AU$99 and a Seagull M6 Acoustic for $39. Of course these were two things i was really interested in, especially the cabinet ( as were about 50 others).
I had rang the store as soon as i received the catalogue asking about both products and they refused too sell until Sale Day. I thought that's fair enough, everyone has the same chance of getting them.

The sale was supposed to start at 9am today, so i decided to get there between 7.30 - 8 am. There were about 50 people there already, which was ok, so i'd thought. Started getting excited about the possibility of the two items, only to find out that people had camped out overnight and the guys at the store decided to give them first preference at about 7.am

I personally don't think that was very fair for everybody else, but easy come, easy go, as they say.

I did end up getting a nice Planet Waves cable for 1/2 price and a box 10 sets of D'Addario strings and a free Planet Waves chromatic tuner for $69.

I'm still really disappointed on missing out on that Marshall cabinet and the Seagull acoustic though.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 08:09 AM

Someone was selling an Ibanez JPM1 in the classified section for $800. I think the person who bought it flipped it for $1400, but I'm kicking myself in the ass for not jumping on that one early enough.

Tags
addario strings , air norton , buzz feiten , buzz feiten tuning system , custom shop , ebony board , ebony neck , feiten tuning system , fixed bridge , flame maple , flamed maple , floyd rose , guitar shop , ibanez jpm , jem bsb , jem vwh , les paul , local music shop , mahogany body , music store , parker fly , peavey wolfgang , planet waves , pro edge , steve lukather , tuning system , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode