Tone Knobs - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Tone Knobs

Does anyone here actually use their tone knobs?. Being the devote PGM lover that I am, I always knew this model was perfect for me as I never use my tone knobs. I really don't know why though??? I started asking some of my friends and not a single one used their tone knob either. I think I'm going to play around with my strat just to see what kind of tonal qualities I've been missing out on all these years. Anyone else in the same boat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:48 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Tone Knobs

I've had guitars with tone knobs and have a few guitars now that have tone knobs (my LP Classic and my Brian May). I rarely use them. I thought about disconnecting them on the LP and leaving it wired on the Brian May because there's a certain tone he gets that uses the volume rolled back.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 08:57 AM

I didn't use my tone knob for a very long time, but lately I notice I will roll it off a little if I have a bright guitar and I'm playing something clean and I want to get that "sound in a box" type of effect.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:43 AM

I use mine a little.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 AM

I use it a very little, and usually it is either on 10 or 0, nothing really in between. Yeah, my 10th Anni PGM has that "tone 0" position, if you put the pickup selector in the middle position it gives you the effect of the tone knob on 0, it is a great idea and works perfect for that fat tone. I didn't know that until after I bought it, but it's great. Any other guitars have that?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
I use it a very little, and usually it is either on 10 or 0, nothing really in between. Yeah, my 10th Anni PGM has that "tone 0" position, if you put the pickup selector in the middle position it gives you the effect of the tone knob on 0, it is a great idea and works perfect for that fat tone. I didn't know that until after I bought it, but it's great. Any other guitars have that?
That's really cool! I wonder if there is a mod I can perform on my 301 to achieve this????
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Reviews: 1

That mod would be easy to perform. You might need a different type of 5 way switch but it should still work. You might be able to find the wiring diagram on Ibanez's site.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:43 AM

I use the tone knobs all the time, and the pickup selector as well. Ever seen a Steve Morse clip? He's all over all the knobs and switches like a maniac.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

I'm a 5 way maniac myself
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 02:09 PM

I've been rolling to tone back to about 8 on all my guitars lately and the old charvel i picked up sounds amazing with the tone set to about 1 so that's where that one stays mostly. I'm not much of a leave it at 10 and do nothing guy anymore.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 02:12 PM

I seem to use it more on playing cleaner stuff, when trying to get that more strat sound from a JEM...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:15 PM

I generally leave it alone, and adjust the tone at the amplifier. Either I'm boosting the mids, or I'm boosting the highs and lows.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 05:32 PM

i never use the tone knob. in fact, i never remember it is there. it's always at 10. that is why i love my pgm30 so much. not to mention, heard that the tone knob takes away part of the pickups true tone, being that there is resistance there in the circuit. sounds right to me; i'm not an electrical guy, but straight through seems the best to me, right to the pickup.
steve
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 05:36 PM

I use them alot. They add completely new dynamics to your sound if you know how to use them.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:17 PM

Reviews: 3

I use my tone knob, but don't like to due to the name. It should be called a "honk dial" or maybe a "twang retractor". I bet a ton of people would use it with a cool name like that.

Tags
fat tone , steve morse , strat sound , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode