Too much Widdling! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Too much Widdling!

It must be my age!

The older I get the less I appreciate "Stunt Guitar" playing, mega fast picking, tapping, sweeping BLAH BLAH BLAH!

For example the latest Whitesnake "Live in the Still of the Night" offering has some great songs but the solos are just a blur of pointless technical chops with no emotion or feel.(Reb/Doug)

I appreciate classic guitar music and enjoy the showmanship that guitar players like Mr Vai/Satriana bring to the live arena but the albums just sound like computerised background music.

Anyone else think that Rock/Metal guitar is gonng to dissapear up it's own ar*shole?

Melody, feel, originality rules.

Sorry for my rant, it must be the age (33)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 05:37 PM

Re: Too much Widdling!

At 33 you feel like that?
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 10:44 PM

Yeah I'm not suprise, the older you get you know that widdling isn't everything, hell I meet many players who's an exceptional shredder stray away to jazz when they get older. They say jazz is the best!
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:59 AM

Metal as a whole has been pritty much dead for the past, oh, 15 years (Yeah, thanks Kurt, I think you killed yourself when you realized what you did to the Guitar and music in general). We only had/have a few bands left thats barely able to keep it on life support thanks in part to loyal fanbases. (i.e. Pantera, Megadeth, etc..)

Theres a few glimmerly shards of hope out there with bands like Trivium and CoB trying to revive a new technical guitar era in pop/rock/metal music. But it will most likely not happen because the mass public, in general, are retarded and would rather watch Americal Idol.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:17 AM

I'm only 18 and I'm over the "only incredible technical playing is good" phase. I used to be obbsesed with becoming a shredder with infinite chops. Now I'm not.

Feel, expresion, mood are all a lot more important to me than how many 16ths at what bpm. I think to constrict yourself to that kind of mentality is extremly limiting.

That's not to say it does not still impress me to some degree, it's just that I'm a lot more interested in the MUSICAL side of things now
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgt_Lover
That's not to say it does not still impress me to some degree, it's just that I'm a lot more interested in the MUSICAL side of things now

That's the excuse we all come up with when we understand that we can't be has technical has Steve Vai

BLAKK:JAKK
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:23 AM

Yup, you can still be fast in a melodic way and stuff.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:43 AM

I suppose it's just a personal thing.

I started playing guitar almost exactly 3 years ago, and at first I was really into Dire Straits (my favourite band), Mark Knopfler's style was what I wanted to do. Then about a year after I'd started that's when I moved away from that whole thing and got into the technical shred. I've been really into that ever since. Although I still like MK's style, shred is where it's at for me. I suppose it's just my personal taste. I think we all go through phases - it's just part and parcel of being a musician!

As much as I love it shred can get a little naff and cheesy at times, although if it's played in the correct context, it's okay.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:45 AM

Yeah definately it's phases people go through until they find what they want to do.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAKK:JAKK
That's the excuse we all come up with when we understand that we can't be has technical has Steve Vai

You took the words out of my mouth.

I am 32 and I am only "over" wanting to shred because I can't. However, in my old age I am finding that learning how to play is much easier. I am much more patient and confident in my playing.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredder87
I suppose it's just a personal thing.

I started playing guitar almost exactly 3 years ago, and at first I was really into Dire Straits (my favourite band), Mark Knopfler's style was what I wanted to do. Then about a year after I'd started that's when I moved away from that whole thing and got into the technical shred. I've been really into that ever since. Although I still like MK's style, shred is where it's at for me. I suppose it's just my personal taste. I think we all go through phases - it's just part and parcel of being a musician!

As much as I love it shred can get a little naff and cheesy at times, although if it's played in the correct context, it's okay.

Exactly! When I started I was really into David Gilmour type of phrasing and Jimmy Page, and now, when I ear what I'm playing I find interesting that I can notice lots of Dimebag Darrell, Kerry King, Kirk Hammett influence.

People change...Who knows if in 2 years I will be sitting in a tree with an acoustic guitar playing BB King stuff...

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:10 AM

Shredding wasn't big with the general populace even in the 80's. Yes, every band had a "hot" player, but other than the guitarists in the audience, the fans didn't have a clue as to who was REALLY good. They liked whatever player was in their fave band.

Fretboard masturbation is impressive, but even as a player it gets pretty boring pretty fast to me - and it did in the 80's, too. This list is biased, having many Vai & Satch fans, but it's a copout to say anyone who thinks "shredding isn't all that" is just making excuses. Sometimes it's true, sometimes not. It'd be as valid to say those who shred do so to cover the fact that they write crappy tunes (that is to say, not very valid).
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:20 AM

Hehehe shredding is awesome, but to me it's too vague of a term.

I'm from the side that likes slower more melodic shred that builds up into frenzy momentarily but then comes back down to earth (a la for FTLOG)

I can't STAND that Michael Angelo "1 million notes a second" crap now.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:01 PM

Makes me think of the saying "you don't know what you've got 'til its gone" !!
It might not be to everyones taste,including me for some of it,but surely its better that its there as an alternative music to listen to rather than narrow down musical styles so everything sounds the same!! It all has a place in the giant musical stew!!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:22 PM

I hate saying this, but the music that I find to be extremely expressive, melodic and original is all highly technical. I mean, take Allan Holdsworth, Brett Garsed, Guthrie Govan or so many more on the jazz side of things. Beautiful melodies, extremley expressive, and hella technical. Then in the rock vein, take Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Marty Friedman, Paul Gilbert or one of so many more. They're melodic, they're original, they're expressive. I don't like mindless widdling either, but there is fantastic technical music there too.

Tags
acoustic guitar , allan holdsworth , brett garsed , david gilmour , dimebag darrell , eric johnson , guitar players , guitar playing , guthrie govan , jimmy page , kerry king , kirk hammet , kirk hammett , mark knopfler , marty friedman , miles davis , paul gilbert , playing guitar , robert johnson , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode