Tounge piercing care and sftey - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Tounge piercing care and sftey

Hey all, i just got my toungue pierced today and they didn't really tell me much about care and saftey does anyone have a website or knows a place where they can explain how to take care of your toungue? thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:44 PM

Re: Tounge piercing care and sftey

I had it done back in my younger (wilder) days, and here is what i remember:

-you need to rinse with Listerine everytime after you eat, brush your teeth, etc.
- no kissing, keep your girlfriend's tongue out of your mouth, and your tongue out of anywhere that it might encounter another person's bodily fluids

This needs to be done for a minimum of 4 weeks, maybe 6-8 weeks, i don't remember.
Your best bet is to call the place that did the piercing.

Lastly, i am highly suspicious of any piercer or piercing establishment that does not include instructions for aftercare to their clients.
good luck
peace
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks, um can we eat anything or mostly liquids because i had youghurt since i got it done
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom's door
- no kissing, keep your girlfriend's tongue out of your mouth, and your tongue out of anywhere that it might encounter another person's bodily fluids
What places could that be?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 06:51 AM

I have to think about those places sometime
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 09:42 AM

I'd dilute the listerine, it may be too strong otherwise.
Not sure if it applies to tongue piercings but it's usually a good idea to bathe it with slightly salted water (boil the water first, add a little sea salt as it has less impurities than table salt, let it cool and bathe gently).
As someone else said above, I'd be pretty suspicious of piercers that don't give any aftercare info.

I've recently had my lip repierced (my girlfriend did it and I did her ear cartlidge, with proper needles and sterile supplies). Piercings are cool - good luck with it!
hexa-db is online  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 10:09 AM

Your correct it is a good idea to dilute the listerine as you can receive a chemical infection which in some ways is worse than just letting the bacteria go at it. Foodwise I would suggest stuff you dont have to chew alot like certain soups, and specifically kfc mashed potatoes. Your going to experience some large amount of swelling as well which you may almost lose the ability to talk comfortably. Still this varies from person to person.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom's door
Um....doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of the piercing in the first place
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 01:03 PM
rgr

"until it heals" should be tacked on to that.

Also, always be very careful eating, the number of broken teeth and dental injuries from people eating with barbells in their mouths is astounding.

Roger
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 02:25 PM

I had mine done when I was younger. They gave me a bottle of stuff to use the first week and after it was gone I used half-strength (diluted 50% with water) Listerine every morning and night and after eating per the piercer's instructions. I also ate a lot of chipped iced (another of the piercer's tips) for the first few days (reduces the swelling and just feels good). For food, I pretty much lived on milkshakes for the first couple days then started adding various other soft items (soup, eggs, etc.). According to the person who did mine (it was done at a professional establishment), I have an unusually thick tongue with a lot of veining but they did a great job, it didn't hurt and only bled a couple drops. However it swelled a LOT and took about a week to calm down.
My other hobby is whitewater kayaking and a few years ago the ball came off of the barbell and it fell out about halfway through a class 4 rapid. There wasn't a good place to do anything about it right then so I just spit it into the water and have never bothered to replace it. I can still see the hole but I doubt it's still clear all the way through after this much time.

P.S. And the other folks are correct, keep your tongue out of other people until it heals.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the tip guys, one more thing. I am going to a trip to Veracruz in Mexico with some friends and i wonder "Can i go into the beach or swimming pool?" sould it get an infection?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode