UFC 70 Last Night - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

UFC 70 Last Night

Did any one else watch it?

CRO COP got his head nearly kicked off. It was unreal. He too the hardest kick to the head I have ever seen, and was knocked out for a while.

I was expecting Cro Cop to be the standard the other fighters would have to live up too. Not after last night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:19 AM

Re: UFC 70 Last Night

yeah he got cranked hard with his own signature kick..

And im surprised he got up after seein the way his leg folded back..

He took one hell of a shot..
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:19 AM

I was pretty concerned about his leg after that fall. His ankle was twisted back pretty good. I guess he finally got a taste of his own medicine.

This has really been the month of upsets. GSP, now Cro Cop.

I've always like Cro Cop, but he's not the indestructible power house the UFC was building him up to be.

There are a lot of unknown fighters that can (and probably will) dominate, and I see the belts changing hands very frequently.

It will be really interesting to see what happens next month with Chuck Liddell/Rampage.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:53 AM

Very well said Adam. Yeah, the talent is just exploding, there are guys we've still never heard of that could win the belt on any given night. GSP and CroCop were both really big upsets, but it seems to be pretty common these days. The only one who is really immune from upsets is Chuck. I think he will destroy Rampage. Rampage can't get away with doing all the roids he wanted like in Japan when he was a monster. I think he is much weaker now to be honest. But, if Chuck has been partying and living the good life with old Willa, who knows?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Gilky:

I agree with the comments on Chuck. I only hope he doesnt go get messed up on Oxycontin or what ever it was he was on for the TV interview.

I used to think that the guys in UFC were gonna have their hands full with the Pride guys, but after watching Cro Cop I think UFC may be underestimated.

I was also extremely impressed with Michael Bisping or is it Bisbing?
He is brutal and smashes with those elbows.

I just wish UFC would get Uriah Faber.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michblanch View Post

I used to think that the guys in UFC were gonna have their hands full with the Pride guys, but after watching Cro Cop I think UFC may be underestimated.

I was also extremely impressed with Michael Bisping or is it Bisbing?
He is brutal and smashes with those elbows.
I think that we'll find out soon! I dont' think anyone was expecting a merger any time soon, but I think now we're going to get a chance to see some dream fights, and I think that will show which guys are really better. Both leagues in my opinion have good talent and bad talent.

Michael Bisping is a good fighter, and he's got a good personality to go along with it, so I think he might actually make a good name for himself.

Chuck Liddell took a lot of hard hits from Rampage in the Pride fight, and he never gave up, his corner threw in the towel, so I give him a lot of credit for that. It will definitely be a good fight.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:48 PM

I have trained with some of the Pride guys' sparring partners and in their gyms (unfortunately, mostly Bob Sapp's gym). I will say this, Pride was steroid central for 90% of their fighters. They were absolute machines with access to super high quality medical grade stuff. When UFC started getting legitimate and getting fighting licenses one of the biggest things they had to do was start drug testing, and there have been a few UFC guys who have popped, and they get dealt with. They can not get away with it period. So, when these Pride guys come over here and have to come off the juice, we are seeing who is really that good. I loved Pride because there were a lot of insane fights, very fast tempo, tons of KO's, etc. But the UFC guys seem to be much better students of the art and more well rounded. I was still shocked that Cro Cop went out like that though, he is one tough SOB. Couture will have his hands very very full with Gonzaga. I didn't know much about him, but he seems to be a really nice guy and have a very child-like love of the game, it is a lot of fun to watch him. I think he will walk through Couture pretty easily, as much as I like Randy.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:56 PM

Personally, I think Rampage is a little overrated. He seems a little sloppy sometimes. If he has to quit the gas, then forget about it. Liddell will win that one.
I forgot all about the fight so I missed it, which sucked.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilkyBear View Post
start drug testing, and there have been a few UFC guys who have popped, and they get dealt with.
Stephan Bonnar, anyone?

Quote:
Couture will have his hands very very full with Gonzaga. I didn't know much about him, but he seems to be a really nice guy and have a very child-like love of the game, it is a lot of fun to watch him. I think he will walk through Couture pretty easily, as much as I like Randy.
Couture doesn't look to happy about fighting Gonzaga. He said he would have rather fought Cro Cop.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Yeah, I think Randy would have done well against Cro-Cop, 50/50 on that one, but Gonzaga, man oh man. He seems to be good at everything Randy is and then some, plus bigger. Randy showed some great stand up against Silvia, surprisingly good, but Silvia is as slow as he is big. I never count Randy out though, actually, no one can ever again, really.

You could tell Cro Cop was not at all expecting that kick to be that high, the way he tucked his arm and braced for a body kick, and wham, right on the jaw. Brutal. He took quite a beating on the ground too, Gonzaga has some nice elbows. It was just a plain old school yard ass whooping all the way around.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
You could tell Cro Cop was not at all expecting that kick to be that high, the way he tucked his arm and braced for a body kick, and wham, right on the jaw. Brutal. He took quite a beating on the ground too, Gonzaga has some nice elbows. It was just a plain old school yard ass whooping all the way around.
That pretty much sums it up. Gonzaga came out very strong. I don't think Cro Cop was expecting him to grab his first kick and take him to the ground.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:51 PM

I agree. Gonzaga had to have decided well beforehand that he was just going to have to flat out eat a kick to get a hold of him, which he did. It was a well executed plan and a very smart one. No one expected Gonzaga to have that kind of stand up game though. What was funny was before the fight when Cro Cop said everyone has a plan until they get hit. You were so right Mirko.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:38 PM

One thing is for certain: the guys fighting Cro Cop and GSP are in for hell.
Just look at the rematch of Cro Cop and Randleman...

Mikael
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 PM

You're so right. They have to come out and make a serious statement and they are both very capable of doing it.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 03:47 PM

I was impressed with the quality of the card from top to bottom for once. THe last few full events i've watched have had a fair amount of lame fights. This one was pretty good all the way through except for the Diego S. vs Josh C. fight, that one was just lame as hell. Josh had a good plan but it was very boring to watch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode