UK Electrician - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

UK Electrician

Hello all.

I hope this is ok to ask this here, so here goes.

I'm wondering what to do. Where I work, there is the opportunity to put in for redundancy.

I'm a qualified electrician, to the 16th edition standard (England, UK) and have been advised to take the advanced level 3 which I am starting in september, which is one day a week.

Now, what I am not sure of, is, shall I take the redundancy and go for an opportunity with a large contractor, will I be a less attractive canditate having to be released one day a week?

Or shall I wait for my level 3 to be completed.

If I put in for the redundancy and a good offer comes up, would it be stupid to turn it down if I am still wating for redundancy? As the redundancy money is alot, about 11,000.

Or would it be best to take the position regardless of the redundancy and head into the better career with the better prospects?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:31 PM

Re: UK Electrician

Better career + better prospects = arse covered later in life
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:35 PM

part p is wheres it at at the moment mate, dont need to tell you that anyway - got experience - got C&G 2381 ? sorted !!! get C&G 2391 and print your own cash
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:38 PM

Have you got a job lined up that you know you can get? Wouldn't be good to end up stuck between jobs and having to use the redundancy for living!
If you are paying for the course yourself,is there no way of doing it in evening classes? (i don't know what it involves,so its a serious question)
Ideally you could get the £11,000 then go straight to a better job?
I would imagine a new firm if its decent would be impressed that you are still trying to learn new things/improve yourself.
Good luck everything.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Yup, things have started to look better since getting my 2381.

I'd prefer to work for a large contractor, having nothing to do with dwellings, which part P applies to only.

I'm going to get my 2391 to get my higher JIB grading.

Part P is a joke that isn't even working for what it has intended, but that's a long long story.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant1981
Yup, things have started to look better since getting my 2381.

I'd prefer to work for a large contractor, having nothing to do with dwellings, which part P applies to only.

I'm going to get my 2391 to get my higher JIB grading.

Part P is a joke that isn't even working for what it has intended, but that's a long long story.

youre quite right but its a fall-back.
domestic sucks but its always there !!!! - part P is bullsh1t, its there to make jobs for idiots and to try and stop idiots working on the electrics in thier own houses !!!

I had to replace my consumer unit recently and I made a schematic of all the wiring in my house.
I wondered why there were 4 T+E cables running to a single gang socket in an upstairs bedroom.... I traced it to a spur (from a ring main - not fused) which turned into a ring main for the extension that was built before I moved in... !!!!
there was also the old cooker outlet that had been changed to a two gang outlet and the 30A fuse left in place !!!!
needless to say I sorted it all out, but what I did was illegal (I think) cos I dont have 2381/2391.

nevermind though because the leccy is sorted and much safer than it was before (also 45A fuse for garage lighting).

if you look on some "training supplier" sites, apparently peeps are already getting dragged through the courts for not having part p and working in houses !!!!

good luck mate, the the current electrician drought I would take the 11K and move on !

Jaden
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Well you seem to e minding your P's and Q's, know your ABCs and are putting 2+2 together to get 4.

A GOOD electrician is like golddust around here, and folks are ALWAYS asking if you know a good electrician, so I say go for future prospects.

BUT...

You've got to make sure you've got something to walk into or that 11K isn't going to last that long!!!

ALL the best mate (then can someone tell me how to change my landing light fitting ?)
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

If you give notification to your local counsil, you can do ANY electrical work you like, so long as it adheres to the IEE 16th edition regs. The counsil will send a tester inspector over.

Also there is non notifiable work, such as installing more sockets or lights, so long as not outside, in the kitchen or the bathroom, and home owners can still do this without notifying the cousil and comply with Part P, so long as the installation complies with the regs, but apparantly a minor works certificate will still need to be filled out.

I've bought a Fluke 1652 installation tester, so that I can still continue to wire my house and friends and family, so that I stick to the regs by testing and filling out certificates and if it is notifiable work, such as consumer unit, new circuit, kitchen, bathroom or out door work, then I just need to notify the counsil and give them my certificate. You are allowed to fill certs even witouth having 2391 (the NICEIC will accept you without 2391 so long as you can demonsrate the ability to test and certify).

So this Part P organisation such as the NICEIC, ECA, NAPIT ect is looking pointless, unless you do loads and loads of domestic.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono
Well you seem to e minding your P's and Q's, know your ABCs and are putting 2+2 together to get 4.

A GOOD electrician is like golddust around here, and folks are ALWAYS asking if you know a good electrician, so I say go for future prospects.

BUT...

You've got to make sure you've got something to walk into or that 11K isn't going to last that long!!!

ALL the best mate (then can someone tell me how to change my landing light fitting ?)
Cheers Jono

I'll fix the light for you and talk you through it, for a beer
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 02:59 PM

bugger, I didnt know that... so looking for advice now myself
I installed
new consumer unit
kitchen ring main (with fused spur for extractor and hob ignition)
cooker point
and sorted out crappy old wiring....

I put the sticker on the CS saying that there were two wiring colour standards in the house...

I own my own home, I though the council charged for that kinda testing !!!
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

The council charge at least £100 + VAT in my area for it.

Good going for the sticker, sounds like you know your stuff mate

Just keep it to yourself if you didn't notify the counsil.

Hint, new colour cable codes were available since 2004, Part P came into force in Jan 2005 with a levvy until March 2005

So you did it in 2004, right?
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:05 PM

Quote:
The council charge at least 100 + VAT in my area for it.

Good going for the sticker, sounds like you know your stuff mate

Just keep it to yourself if you didn't notify the counsil.

Hint, new colour cable codes were available since 2004, Part P came into force in Jan 2005 with a levvy until March 2005

So you did it in 2004, right?
cor, blow me down !!! so I did guv - in fact... twas done before I got here !!

Thanks mate

im not a sparky by trade, used to be a chippy but the last ten years ive got a HNC in engineering and ive done a lot of work as a high/low voltage panel wireman....
you just pick stuff up - you know..

thanks for the advice bud !
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

HNC, nice going mate. Panel wiring is nice, ever done it live? Now that's fun!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
HNC, nice going mate. Panel wiring is nice, ever done it live? Now that's fun!
yes live, 400v only though, nothing higher.
amazingly ive done it for years without getting a belt !!!

though im not talking about wiring switchpanels/rooms.... im in the control and automation business...
used to mostly build and install stuff for Ford plants across the world...
they dont like you working live but it has to be done
they also dont like you changing the software on machines as 1 transit van goes past every 30 seconds, but that has to be done too that gets the pulse racing more than working live...
cos Ford guys like to use you as a 10kW resistor if you feck it up
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Sounds cool, I've got a Ford

So what do you do now? Still do the same?

Here's something, wasn't until I did my 2381, that I learnt that low voltage doesn't get to high voltage until you reach 1000V! :O shocking isn't it, I bet my body would think it's high voltage getting a strap off two three phase bus bars!

Tags
guitar playing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode