UK Jemsiters! Turn on BBC 4 tonight!! - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

UK Jemsiters! Turn on BBC 4 tonight!!

It's guitar night. I've just flicked it on now, I'm not sure what is going to be on it but I've got it on Sky + and will watch it tomorrow. It's on until midnight so there is still another couple of hours to go.

Just thought it might be of interest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 05:17 PM

Re: UK Jemsiters! Turn on BBC 4 tonight!!

cool. just turned it on.
white stripes.
aaaaah.
must resist from switching off.

ohhh wait

its gone

phewww
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 PM

some guying banging on the e-string now seasick steve
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 05:20 PM

hang on, he's only got 3 strings...that must be his A string...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:01 PM

Angry Re: UK Jemsiters! Turn on BBC 4 tonight!!

seasick Steve - what a joke !!! Some tramp with 3 strings and he's on the front cover of guitarist too!!!!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Who?

At least I can skip through the crap with Sky +
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 06:07 AM

RHCP guitarist went to audition for frank zappas band but didnt in the end because he found out that they used drugs? So he didnt audition in the end probably a good call John, good call. I think they play notes not contained inside the pentatonic root positions. then he went a got addicted to heroin anyway. What a thing to write onscreen?

Dont get me wrong I like the RHCP from time to time but that comment I found slightly rude towards Mike and Steve. I think it should have read he saw mike or steve playing a realized how far out of his depth he was. then paniced. then at some point in the future he turned to heroin? I suspent that drugs could have had something to do with him thinking he could play zappas stuff in the first place?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 04:18 PM

I thought that piece by Pete Townsend was frickin' badass....I've seen him play in a Mick Jagger documentary and his tone and style are really powerful...he plays with such guts!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 05:21 PM

Part two of "The Story of the Guitar" documentary series starts on BBC One in a minute. I believe they're covering the history of the Stratocaster in this episode.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM

They did, it featured items on Fender, Rickenbacker (frying pan) Gibson, lap steel playing and resonators.

They went from Robert Johnson via Charley Christian, T-Bone Walker to BB King as well as Les Paul and Hendrix, but also Hank Marvin, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour.

It also featured interviews and performances with those still alive, inc 91 year-old Les Paul and 83yr B.B.King, sometimes showing off their equipment (Gilmour's strat #0001, some dude who "stole" Hank Marvin's red strat, Knopfler's '58 LP, Hendrix' burnt strat.)
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM

Wasn't too bad last night. I enjoyed BB King telling the story of why he names all his guitars Lucille now. My guitar tutor told me that story about a year ago but hearing it from BB King himself made it even more enjoyable.

Telecaster the first solid body guitar from Fender? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was named the Broadcaster for the first two years of production, and in its first year bared more resemblance to the Esquire.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:41 PM

Apologies for the thread bump, but I figured you guys might like this bit of news. Steve Vai makes an appearance in episode three, I'm watching it on BBC's iPlayer at the moment.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Banned

ahhhh its all a load of s.h.i.t.guitar heroes its about brian may and clapton and other lightweights.its been on a few nights now.but there was a good show on called story of the guitar,now that was good,
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 01:56 PM
MFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out Of This Swirled View Post
RHCP guitarist went to audition for frank zappas band but didnt in the end because he found out that they used drugs? So he didnt audition in the end probably a good call John, good call. I think they play notes not contained inside the pentatonic root positions. then he went a got addicted to heroin anyway. What a thing to write onscreen?

Dont get me wrong I like the RHCP from time to time but that comment I found slightly rude towards Mike and Steve. I think it should have read he saw mike or steve playing a realized how far out of his depth he was. then paniced. then at some point in the future he turned to heroin? I suspent that drugs could have had something to do with him thinking he could play zappas stuff in the first place?
I know Zappa himself was anti-recreational drug use but I can't speak for the rest of the band
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-20-2008, 03:41 PM

I was under the impression that drug use in Zappa's band got you kicked out on the spot, actually. I know he kicked people out of the Mothers because of drug use.

"Around this time, Frusciante also auditioned for Frank Zappa's band, but left before the final try-out due to Zappa's strict prohibition of illegal drug use amongst musicians in his band. In an interview, he said, "I realized that I wanted to be a rock star, do drugs and get girls, and that I wouldn't be able to do that if I was in Zappa's band.""

from http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1351253365

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode