uk smokers have you heard this - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Banned

uk smokers have you heard this

i was watching the news the other night and the goverment might be doubling the price of 20 cigs,that would be £10 a packet,i smoke rolls golden virginia whatever i can get my hands on. i get mine cheap £5 50grams (cant afford taylormades).if the goverment go through with this and you smoke 20 a day thats a staggering £140 a week,a pouch a tabbaco last me a week so all i spend is £5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 09:58 AM

Re: uk smokers have you heard this

omg! You might have to quit! what a horror show!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
omg! You might have to quit! what a horror show!
Lol.......I see the makings of a new film.

"The ~HORROR~ of breathing
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:12 AM

ok. rethinking here...because my last post will no doubt start a flame war of "I'll smoke if i want to! It's a free country!".

We've seen it here before. It's old.

In countries such as Canada, England and France, where health care is public, doesn't it seem that higher taxes on tobacco would make sense? Otherwise, they'll have to raise taxes for everybody across the board.

Smoking is bad for you, and unless you're incredibly lucky, WILL cause health problems - both short term and long term. It's been conclusively proven. The people who smoke are well aware of the dangers and risks and choose to do so anyway - it's their preogative, correct?

So why SHOULDN'T the smokers be asked to pay more into the system, since they're more likely to be using the system? The guy who's buying his highly-taxed pack of cigarettes today is really just paying for his own health care tomorrow.

The person that heeds the smoking warnings shouldn't have to pay higher taxes so the person who chooses to ignore the warnings can visit the doctor with his/her various smoking-related health issues.

People who have a lot of car accidents pay more for their car insurance than drivers who have a clean record. It's the same principle.

my .02

~k
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:17 AM

Aw jeeze ~K. Thanks for going and starting world war 3!!!

But seeing as we are on the same side, lemmie help

I agree with your post 100000000000000% (and then some)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 AM

Reviews: 7

I agree with Kennydoe's post, in that it applies to countries with public health care. But the taxes on cigarettes here just seem to be a little less merited. Since there is no public healthcare here, why should smokers pay so much more tax? They already have pretty much no choice but to go outside to smoke'em.

Not to anger any bigger people, but they don't give extra taxes on stuff like junk food. I'm sure there are plenty of taxes (in countries w/ public healthcare) going towards keeping overweight people alive. I just think to myself, people like this usually see a doctor a lot more than a smoker (not that smoker's don't need too, but they usually don't.)

I didn't mean to anger anyone's so please don't take offense. BTW I don't smoke
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
ok. rethinking here...because my last post will no doubt start a flame war of "I'll smoke if i want to! It's a free country!".

We've seen it here before. It's old.

In countries such as Canada, England and France, where health care is public, doesn't it seem that higher taxes on tobacco would make sense? Otherwise, they'll have to raise taxes for everybody across the board.

Smoking is bad for you, and unless you're incredibly lucky, WILL cause health problems - both short term and long term. It's been conclusively proven. The people who smoke are well aware of the dangers and risks and choose to do so anyway - it's their preogative, correct?

So why SHOULDN'T the smokers be asked to pay more into the system, since they're more likely to be using the system? The guy who's buying his highly-taxed pack of cigarettes today is really just paying for his own health care tomorrow.

The person that heeds the smoking warnings shouldn't have to pay higher taxes so the person who chooses to ignore the warnings can visit the doctor with his/her various smoking-related health issues.

People who have a lot of car accidents pay more for their car insurance than drivers who have a clean record. It's the same principle.

my .02

~k
I can't totally disagree with your position.... but, maybe we should also look at adding unrealistic taxes on fast food too! Heck, hasn't it been proven to directly contribute to poor health too, and probably on a much larger scale.

I can see it now..... $25.00 Happy Meals at McDonald's! Hmmm..... I see far more FAT people walking around than smokers now days!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:03 AM

rather than a fast-food tax, there should definitely be an 'overweight' or 'obese' tax.

maybe there even is...who knows.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Im all for upping the price of cigarettes. Might stop my flatmates smoking so much and making the place smell!!

On the subject of smoking, heres an interesting news article...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wsmoke108.xml
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
rather than a fast-food tax, there should definitely be an 'overweight' or 'obese' tax.

maybe there even is...who knows.
Can't do that..... some people actually have genetic or other health conditions that can result in obesity! So what.... we just group them in there too?
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timi_h View Post
Im all for upping the price of cigarettes. Might stop my flatmates smoking so much and making the place smell!!

On the subject of smoking, heres an interesting news article...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wsmoke108.xml
funny how that article has the reporter in NY, but the story is about St Paul, Minnesota - close to 1000 miles away.

I defintely relate to the smell issue.

My roadie-guy is a very considerate smoker. He won't smoke in my car, even if i'm not here (sometimes he sits out in my van while the band is playing - usually not less than 4 hours at a time). My issue is when we ride together and he comes in the van after a cig and he just smells awful. It's hard to sit next to...usually i hold my breath.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
Can't do that..... some people actually have genetic or other health conditions that can result in obesity! So what.... we just group them in there too?
well, we're talking about public health care countries...
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 AM

To be honest, just quit. I know people are addicted I've dealt with it too and it isn't easy but we all know you started out trying to look cool and now no one does. Smoking is bad for you and others plus it's expensive what is there left to make it worth anyones while?

Seriously, there is nothing I hate more in this world than smoking.

In Japan no one cares one bit about it at all and it drives me nuts. Even if there is a no smoking sign, people smoke anyways regardless of the $300 fine. They smoke inevery restraunt, livehouse, bar, stadium and on every corner. Also, in every house.

A couple of my football (soccer for the 'mericans) teammates smoke at half time and after every game in a tournament. It's rediculous. So I say up witht he taxes and drive the tabacco companies into the ground.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
well, we're talking about public health care countries...
Yes.... but I don't think fat people and McDonald's are just an "American" thing anymore!
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemplayer55 View Post
I see far more FAT people walking around than smokers now days!
Shouldn't a pic of yourself be posted along with this statement???

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
To be honest, just quit.
If only it were that easy! Probably 60% of my friends smoke. Approx 5% of them have tried and been able to quit. the ones that have been able to quit for a substantial period of time (2 years of more) have all started up smoking again at some point. (dorks)

Smokers = 60%
Quiters = 0%

Thank god I listened to me grandmamie Parley who told me "Why smoke it if it don't get ya high sonny??" (hey only 6 hours till 4:20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotornut View Post
Seriously, there is nothing I hate more in this world than smoking.
Careful, hate can and will drain one Grasshopper!

It's definitely way up on the list of my dislikes as well. I seriously cannot stand it and the rudeness, smell and health problems associated with it.

Ever kiss a girl that smokes? ~GAG~

An obesety tax is out of the question as some people are born with thyroid, low metabolism problems, etc. Many of them don't have a choice and to tax them would be unfair.

On the other hand, folks who indulge in smokin cancer sticks HAVE a choice!

Fine, it's your lives, but just keep it outta my face!

I say:

TAX um!

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 03-11-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode