Upgrading computer parts problem - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Upgrading computer parts problem

So this is for all you computer techs out there...

I'm upgrading a friend's computer with a new motherboard and processor. I've upgraded computers before and I had the misfortune to not realize prior that I would have to completely re-install Windows XP upon changing components.

So my question is how would I go about changing these parts without having to erase everything on the hard drive and re-install Windows? Could I link the current hard drive's data [HD1] to another hard drive [HD2], wipe out everything on HD1 and install the necessary files then transfer back the files from HD2 onto HD1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 PM

Re: Upgrading computer parts problem

You shouldn't have to reinstall windows. I changed out my MB and processor, and video card and didn't have to do it. XP should reconfig itself plus you have CD's that come with the new hardware.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Robb View Post
You shouldn't have to reinstall windows. I changed out my MB and processor, and video card and didn't have to do it. XP should reconfig itself plus you have CD's that come with the new hardware.
Well I just don't want to risk it. That's what I thought when I did mine, but it made me re-install everything or else it wouldn't boot up. Could it be because I switched from Intel to AMD?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 PM

did you install the MB drivers before booting into windows? It shouldn't matter what your putting in.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:54 PM

^yep. Though I'd have a backup plan too.

Like....another hdd to install xp on if something goes wrong. That way you can still access HD1 and get to your data.

But, you should be able to take the original hdd, connect it to the new MB and CPU without a problem. Should being the key word....it is a microsoft product afterall.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:59 PM

There are other things that will prevent booting.

For example what drive is XP on, C?

What partition/drive is set as the boot drive in the bios settings, etc.

But...as long as you have a second hard drive or partition (I'd prefer a seperate hdd) You can always install XP to that and access your old stuff. In case something goes wrong.

Of course you then have to reinstall all the third party apps and all.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:21 PM

I would take an image of the drive before doing this. If the new mobo uses the same chipset, it's usually no issue. If it's way different, it may not be a smooth move, though hypothetically it should work.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

I have not installed the new motherboard drivers. Would the current motherboard drivers "clash" with the new ones?

XP is on drive C. Also I was considering taking an image of the drive as well.

The thing is is that this computer that I will be upgrading is a Dell which has never been opened so I don't know what kind of hardware is in there. I do know that it is a Socket 478 though. I'm going to replace the case, mobo and CPU, but the rest should is factory.

I'm not really concerned if third party apps are gone or not because those are always re-installable, but what my main worry is is that he won't be able to access his personal files and documents.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:49 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMG View Post

I'm upgrading a friend's computer with a new motherboard and processor. I've upgraded computers before and I had the misfortune to not realize prior that I would have to completely re-install Windows XP upon changing components.

So my question is how would I go about changing these parts without having to erase everything on the hard drive and re-install Windows? Could I link the current hard drive's data [HD1] to another hard drive [HD2], wipe out everything on HD1 and install the necessary files then transfer back the files from HD2 onto HD1?
you should always have the windows discs handy as you're going to need alot of drivers so when you replace the MOBO the pc is very likely going to have alot of quirks and drivers that need to install.

even if you had to reinstall windows i don't see the big deal. you're way overcomplicating things... glen
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:53 PM

If your making a huge change such as a motherboard, its better to use a fresh install of windows. It just eliminates any issues with drive conflicts.

Installing windows is dead easy these days, just pup the disc in, make sure the comp boots from the CD drive, and you'll just have to click "Next" a few times, and enter the CD key.

You will need to make a backup of everything your friend wants though.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:38 PM

Quote:
I have not installed the new motherboard drivers. Would the current motherboard drivers "clash" with the new ones?

XP is on drive C. Also I was considering taking an image of the drive as well.

The thing is is that this computer that I will be upgrading is a Dell which has never been opened so I don't know what kind of hardware is in there. I do know that it is a Socket 478 though. I'm going to replace the case, mobo and CPU, but the rest should is factory.

I'm not really concerned if third party apps are gone or not because those are always re-installable, but what my main worry is is that he won't be able to access his personal files and documents.
Dell has oem syndrome so your wiriing will possible be a bit more difficult to the connectors beinga bit different than most motherboard manufacturers.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 11:51 PM

He basically just stuffing the old hdd into a new computer. After all he's replacing the case, mb and cpu.

And yes a fresh install would be better.

But damn...it takes me days to get everything back the way I like it after a install.

Installing all the other stuff like antivirus, office apps, etc. is more time consuming than installing the OS. Then tweaking all the settings. IT sux.

I hate doing that. Setting up a "stock" computer is nothing. Personlizing it is the pain.

Have fun.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 11:40 AM

Reviews: 1

I would do a fresh install, you have to consider the chipset drivers, if you use SATA drives, then the controller .inf files are not always the same, depending on the controller's mfr. You're better off starting clean.
Also the graphic cards may interact differently with a newer chipset.
You're better off starting fresh and avoid all the hassles.
That said, you can reduce the amount of time in personalizing your system by backing everything up in the 1st place. I'm due to make a backup image of my system, and I'm dreading it, but I need to do it.

Bamm
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammbamm View Post
I would do a fresh install, you have to consider the chipset drivers, if you use SATA drives, then the controller .inf files are not always the same, depending on the controller's mfr. You're better off starting clean.
Also the graphic cards may interact differently with a newer chipset.
You're better off starting fresh and avoid all the hassles.
That said, you can reduce the amount of time in personalizing your system by backing everything up in the 1st place. I'm due to make a backup image of my system, and I'm dreading it, but I need to do it.

Bamm
Just ghost your machine onto a different harddrive saves you from installing.

Regards

André

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Last week I just changed out my Motherboard from a Gigabyte to a Asus & Video Card ATI 9800 Pro to a XT800 XT, and I am running raid 0, which I thought I would have issues, but all new drivers went in smooth and the only thing I had to do was reregister XP again. I would suggest backing everything up incase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode