US cities/regions- Where should I move? - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

US cities/regions- Where should I move?

I was wondering if anyone would like to comment on where they live & whether they recommend living in that area. Also, if you know of anywhere that you think would be a neat place to live from visiting or passing through, and places to avoid.

Im open to big or small cities across the US, except i really want out of florida and maybe the southeast in general- Ive spent most of my life here and I want to get away and start over somewhere new and exciting.

I dont have a good job or career of any sort yet, so I can worry about work after I get there (or try to find a job somewhere before I move would probably be smarter). so a good job market/local economy would be a plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:28 PM

Re: US cities/regions- Where should I move?

Can't get much different from Florida than NYC dude. The difference is night and day. Don't go to Jersey.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Reviews: 21

Actually, many transplanted NY'ers here call South Florida the Sixth Bourough.
Boy, I've lived here my entire life and I'm tempted to leave. I'm wondering if things will go back a bit to how they were with so many people leaving. No offense - I love my hometown, but it's sad to see how cutthroat it's gotten here. Now and then, though, you run into polite and social people. Usually they're recent transplants but they're a breath of fresh air.
If I had to start over I might go to Burlington VT, Atlanta GA, or Virginia Beach VA.
Best of luck!
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:53 PM

San Diego, California, its called the nations finest city and its sunny over here 90% of the year
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

I went to New York for half a week when I was a kid and really liked it. I liked the whole anonymity of being in such a crowded place thing.

I've kinda always wanted to go to california, but the high cost of living is a little intimidating. My dad lived in bakersfield CA when he was a kid/teenager and he has always said how much he loved it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:54 PM

I Love NY , though it is packed to the rafters with tourists these days. Tourists who aren't smart enough to not block entire sidewalks or walk at a decent pace either, I might add
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Reviews: 13

Come to Brazil dude, we have girls LOL
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
Come to Brazil dude, we have girls LOL
And beautifull ones too!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:08 PM

I see nothing wrong with Jersey. It's a really chill state; I live maybe 10 minutes from NYC, and still live in a fairly quaint suburb that's really safe.

But I suggest California. I was at Stanford last summer, and it was absolutely amazing.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Texas has 4 of the fastest growing cities in the country.

Fort Worth - Aerospace/ Oil & Gas / Medical

Houston - Aerospace / Oil and Gas / Refineries / Medical

San Antonio - Aerospace / Oil and Gas / Military

Austin - Computer / Oil and Gas

There are no state taxes.
However the property taxes are ridiculous.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:34 PM

Reviews: 21

Yeah, I hear gas and oil are doing pretty well lately.
Cheers!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:04 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: US cities/regions- Where should I move?

Scranton, PA is one of the top 10 fastest growing real estate markets in America, and within 3-5 years is going to be booming. This is the Pocono area, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees AAA baseball, Mohegan Sun...

http://www.scrantonpa.gov
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTUNES666 View Post
Scranton, PA is one of the top 10 fastest growing real estate markets in America, and within 3-5 years is going to be booming. This is the Pocono area, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees AAA baseball, Mohegan Sun...

http://www.scrantonpa.gov
You may be able to get a job at this place in Scranton.
I heard they were hiring.
http://www.dundermifflinpaper.biz/

Last edited by michblanch; 06-03-2008 at 10:17 PM.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmurry222 View Post
I went to New York for half a week when I was a kid and really liked it. I liked the whole anonymity of being in such a crowded place thing.

I've kinda always wanted to go to california, but the high cost of living is a little intimidating. My dad lived in bakersfield CA when he was a kid/teenager and he has always said how much he loved it.

That's my Home town dude.

But most people hate Bakersfiled. They call it the butt crack of California. Now that I live in Nagoya, I look back and think of it as a great place to raise a family and stuff, but as far as intellectual interest it doesn't have a bunch. It is pretty cheap though. It's comparable to prices outside of California.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Minneapolis...
Great, great city. Lots to do, lots of great food (believe it or not), and a very hip and active music scene. I lived there for about four years, and to one degree or another, I've regretted moving back to the DC area ever since.

Besides, you want to talk about polar opposite from FL? Both literal and figurative? Minneapolis, man...it's the right thing to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode