usps sucks so bad ruined 2 swirls. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 37
usps sucks so bad ruined 2 swirls.

I was shipping these to rodzo to clearcoat and packed these up with a shirt on each one to protect paint from bubble wrap.
then bubblewrap and a bunch of popcorn.

they must have dropped these off the roof of the truck cause omg wtf? hopefully rodzo can touch them up and save them from disaster.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:41 PM

Thumbs down Re: usps sucks so bad ruined 2 swirls.

OMG!

That SUCKS man! Can't you get any compensation from usps?

Regards,

JP
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 03:52 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: usps sucks so bad ruined 2 swirls.

OMG Ouch!!!! Man, I know they don't get the most funding, but USPS needs to have more respect for what they do!!! You didn't ask for relic'ing, you asked for safe delivery!

overnight chipping.....

I don't think jemsiters will consider USPS if they see this, and I'm so sorry it happened to you. They should not be aloud to let stuff like this happen. :angry:
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

damn :O
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:39 PM

Reviews: 13

Repairable?
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Repairable?
Don't see how it can be and make it look like there was no change or damage.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:57 PM

Reviews: 1

I would expect that from UPS not from the postal service. I have shipped many items, large and small, with USPS and have never had a damage issue. I have seen how UPS handles packages. Hell, the delivery guy dropped my new car stereo I ordered from crutchfield on the ground right in front of me. I would think that damage is highly irregular from the post office. Still really sucks though. Hopefully it is repairable.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 04:59 PM

put a sand-able filler on it. Tape it off, and then sand it smooth. do a white sealer base then use a fine painters brush (or pin strip style brush) and the same paint you use to swirl.

i have always had good luck with USPS. I refuse to use packing peanuts because they let the guitar or body or neck or whatever shift inside the box. The key to keeping your stuff safe is to minimize movement inside the box. Peanuts can shift around. If all you have is peanuts, put them in a trash bag or large ziplock bag to keep them together. They still work as padding but wont let the item shift as much.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:37 PM

I have stopped using USPS for this very reason. This and dissappearing package and/or packages that come back to me a mo th after I sent them. Wtf?

On a happier note I sent my 89 Jem 777VBK to LiveWire to have some work done recently. I used UPS and Michael said it was the best packaged guitar he's ever received. I called the UPS store and thanked them. The guitar was in its OHSC but they bubble wrapped that, out it in a box and put (based on michael's description) about a cubic meter worth of peanuts around it. Needless to say it showed up pristine, renewing my faith in UPS, at least my local UPS store.

Speaking of disappearing packages Andrew... I have received no confirmation from you on the package I sent you weeks ago... Have you received it? It was sent USPS unfortunately...
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Looks like you need more bubble wrap.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.arledge View Post
put a sand-able filler on it. Tape it off, and then sand it smooth. do a white sealer base then use a fine painters brush (or pin strip style brush) and the same paint you use to swirl.
I thought of the same way but I doubt it could ever have a contiguous flow and look untouched.
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 PM

Damn, this makes me mad and they're not even my guitars. Such nice swirls too.

However, I've been there, and have had to endure thousands of $$ in damage myself. There really aren't any good shipping options anymore. USPS, UPS, FedEx... they all suck. Does anyone ever use DHL anymore?
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfssdude View Post
I have stopped using USPS for this very reason. This and dissappearing package and/or packages that come back to me a mo th after I sent them. Wtf?

On a happier note I sent my 89 Jem 777VBK to LiveWire to have some work done recently. I used UPS and Michael said it was the best packaged guitar he's ever received. I called the UPS store and thanked them. The guitar was in its OHSC but they bubble wrapped that, out it in a box and put (based on michael's description) about a cubic meter worth of peanuts around it. Needless to say it showed up pristine, renewing my faith in UPS, at least my local UPS store.

Speaking of disappearing packages Andrew... I have received no confirmation from you on the package I sent you weeks ago... Have you received it? It was sent USPS unfortunately...
nope.
omg again they strike.

i guess since i swirled them i can do it again if needed . (SUCH A SHAME THOUGH CAUSE THEY WONT BE THE SAME SWIRLS).
it dont matter to me it was for a good cause anyway so maybe doing it twice will give me twice the pleasure and reward.

ill make sure to ship them in a MATTRESS next time .

and the bodies were bubble wrapped and i put peanuts just for extra protection.
trust me a train hit that package i packed it better than usual.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
nope.
omg again they strike.

i guess since i swirled them i can do it again if needed . (SUCH A SHAME THOUGH CAUSE THEY WONT BE THE SAME SWIRLS).
it dont matter to me it was for a good cause anyway so maybe doing it twice will give me twice the pleasure and reward.

ill make sure to ship them in a MATTRESS next time .

and the bodies were bubble wrapped and i put peanuts just for extra protection.
trust me a train hit that package i packed it better than usual.
DAMMIT!!!! Wtf? That's twice now! I really hope the project isn't being held up just waiting on my parts??? I'm so sorry Andrew. That really pisses me off.
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Reviews: 2

I'm gutted.......... just plain gutted.

Not for me though, for Andrew and the person that was to receive the Blue Ice swirl. Don't worry Andrew, we'll find a way to get these fixed and back on track.

For those that don't know, Andrew swirled my purple ice as a "thank you" for all the parts I sent, and the $$ I'm putting into Trevas new parts. The truth of the matter is that neither Andrew or myself can afford to re-swirl these bodies. Neither of us are in the guitar building business........ we both do this out of our garages for fun and the love of the art. How's the old saying go? "No good deed.........."

I'll try to sell some stuff to cover the additional costs Andrew. I have an amp and cab I can sell, plus a couple more guitars (the ones I really wanted for myself or my kids sadly)

I DON'T want anymore of this to come out of your pocket my friend.

Tags
usps swirl damage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode