Utilize your talents for money - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Utilize your talents for money

Hey guys, just thought i would share a recent idea of mine with you. Being out of work now for a good few months, with only a couple interviews and no job, and running out of money in a few months, I figured I would call upon more of my loves to assist with money woes. It's really hard out there and a lot of my friends know people who are doing odd jobs and multiple things to stay afloat. For me, along with photo and video, I have wanted to open a recording studio since I was a kid! Although I didn't want to start the studio until the basement was finished....that will take too long since i don't have that kind of money....I may just start it now. I had an electrician come in and install electrical in the area I will be in, on its own circuit, complete with canned lights, and was thinking about framing in just this small portion of the basement...but i'm not sure, that is money.

I had a band over last weekend who will be recording here next month. They love the concrete "industrial" look and they don't care if it's finished or not. A friend of mine stopped by to visit and when he saw it he loved it as well. Do you think it looks unpro? My wife suggested i just put some posters up with some foam on the walls here and there and call it a day for now and forget about the remodeling. I'm running pro tools and the only other thing i want to get is an electronic drum set for the corner, to the left of the workstation desk. i have the funds for it and there is a nice used roland or yamaha i have my eyes on. a friend of mine is also helping with the purchase. anyway, just wanted to share. what do you guys think? and what are you doing for supplementing?

Steve

photos taken with point and shoot canon...no pride in these...just simple photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:16 PM

Re: Utilize your talents for money

I can't help you much, but I do have to say that you have a dead sexy workspace.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM

here is my thought being someone who has gone to a studio or two in the past for small sessions. If you can make the recordings sound good, it doesn't matter what the studio looks like. I like the industrial look as well and there is no reason you can't run with that look. Instead of trying to completely finish up the whole basement, try to maybe just cover the exposed studs and do a small bit of painting on non-cement areas, and i'd call it a day. with a little bit of cash i think you can make the place look pretty professional/complete. make use of some of those cheap area rugs and cable ties just to keep your area and gear tidy and organized. Great space at any rate. I'm jealous
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks man, sounds like a great idea! i appreciate your thoughts. if you're in the area ever, stop on by, i'll take care of ya....
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 12:35 PM

I would at least put some Sheetrock on the studs to just clean it up a bit, otherwise its fine. Wheres the recording space?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

i will look into the sheet rock, or, maybe just a wall of sound / studio foam on the wall where the studs are...much easier and quicker and cooler-looking. i maybe then paint the back wall with concrete paint in a nice gray-blue, including the pvc. i have an electronic drum set coming next week. a friend of mine helped me out with the purchase. the studio is in the Chicago burbs. to get clientele i may do the first song free for the rest of this year.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredmaster View Post
i will look into the sheet rock, or, maybe just a wall of sound / studio foam on the wall where the studs are...much easier and quicker and cooler-looking. i maybe then paint the back wall with concrete paint in a nice gray-blue, including the pvc. i have an electronic drum set coming next week. a friend of mine helped me out with the purchase. the studio is in the Chicago burbs. to get clientele i may do the first song free for the rest of this year.
Yeah, but studio foam usually comes in like 1'x1' squares so you need something to attach them to besides studs.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Here's what we're going to do for now. We will be framing out the section used for the office / studio to separate it from the rest of the basement. this area will be everything you see pictured. all those boxes and stuff in the background will be cleared out and that's where the drums will go. we are going to paint the concrete walls a blue/gray including the pvc piping, and spray the ceiling black...all with a sprayer. i will get an inexpensive sofa/loveseat to fill the area to my left, which will fit perfectly against the concrete wall right outside of the drums. i will put the sound foam in 1' squares in various places on the concrete wall. that's the thought as of now. it will look cooler and i can always frame the rest out later internally. i will post pics whenever it's done...few weeks, etc. i upgraded pro tools for the vista machine yesterday and it's running flawlessly...no issues. sounds great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode