Video Card for casual gamer. - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Question Video Card for casual gamer.

Another computer question. I do like to try a game once in a while but not often so maybe I'm a VERY casual gamer. Anyway my onboard video does not have a DVI out. I would like to get a pci-E video card with a DVI out for my lcd monitor but I don't know which one to buy. There are SO many models and variations right now. I don't know why NVIDIA has to have 10 cards out each with a gs, gt, gts, ultra, whatever version.
So what would be a good choice for a cheap video card that beats onboard video? I'm talking $50-100.00 range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Re: Video Card for casual gamer.

You'd probably be best off with a last-gen card, which could be a GeForce 7600GS or some 7900... or a Radeon X1950 (I don't know the exact prices, and I'm not in the US anyway, so my prices are probably different from yours... But there should be variations of these cards that just about fit the $100 bracket).
They give you a lot of performance for DX9-based games, but don't support DX10. This is not a problem as there are very few games out that support DX10 at all, and the ones that do also support DX9. So you won't be missing out.

The newer budget cards, like the Radeon 2400/2600 or GeForce 8400/8500/8600 support DX10, but their performance in both DX9 and DX10 is quite poor compared to the last-gen cards, so they aren't such good value for money when it comes to playing games.

You probably don't want to go for more than 256 mb memory, because this won't improve gaming much, but it may make the card much more expensive.
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:41 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

you probably want a fanless card too, as these cards can be noisy. something like x1650 is very solid vs a x1950. check the deal sites such as this
http://dealnews.com/categories/Compu...Cards/113.html

... glen
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Yes! fanless would be great. This pc is very quiet and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thanks for the link.
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 PM

Reviews: 120

I've got an ASUS 8500GT 512MB card that is fanless, and it's pretty good so far. Obviously quiet, and with my casual gaming things are looking good so far. Pretty cheap too. I bought it for $100AUD so in the States probably $50-70USD.
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM

unless you're running directX 10, computer gaming is dead IMO. I use to upgrade my computer but it's a big waste of money to try to keep up with the Jones' if you know what I mean. Get yourself a refurbished Xbox360 and be done with it!! $50/year to play CoD4 online is well worth it.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:25 PM

Reviews: 25

ahahahaha PC gaming is dead ?

There are more games available for the PC then any other console. Wake up and smell the processors, id rather a quad core chip with 8 gig ram and 2 video cards slammed together in a sexual dance, then any console.

PC games are not dead, you are incorrect
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:36 PM

Have fun paying out the ying-yang for your 8gig duel processors with liquid cooling features all you want. The guy said he was a casual gamer, so it seems to me that a console would suit him better IMO. If the guy wants to spend thousands of dollars to upgrade his machine so be it. Plus the fact that most software companies release games way before all the bugs are found/fixed, then countless patches are released to fix lazy programer problems. I'm not saying that console games have no bugs, but PC gaming is dead for the average joe'
Um, I think I'll go and play Crisis now..........oh wait!
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:16 PM

Well at least your admitting your the average Joe.

I don't think I have had any problems playing PC games. If your understanding of how to download a driver and double click it to install is to much brain power, then yes get a sexbox, but even a casual gamer who may also be computer literate, might just want to spend $100 on a nice nvidia card and play some games.

You make it more complicated than it is.
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 08:55 PM

I prefer Nvidia over ATI, eventhough ATI isn't that bad, and I would recommend 256 mb ram, but I don't know if you're going to get that in the 50-100 dollar range, but 128 mb would probably be fine.

But I am definitely not up to date anymore on my video cards like I used to be, because I don't really game much anymore.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:03 PM

I paid $120 for a brand new 512mb 8600gt card from ASUS.

works a treat
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezFreak777 View Post
ahahahaha PC gaming is dead ?

There are more games available for the PC then any other console. Wake up and smell the processors, id rather a quad core chip with 8 gig ram and 2 video cards slammed together in a sexual dance, then any console.

PC games are not dead, you are incorrect
yup yup, and I have a friend who works for nvidia and in February ill be getting tri-sli nvidia 9 series cards for cheap (maybe then I can run crysis on my new monitor in dx10 mode ) Consoles are already outdated in technology to play the new games coming out, such as Crysis. PC gaming in my opinion will never die because you can lower settings for more demanding games or simply upgrade your parts to run something. Consoles you have to buy a new one everytime they get outdated

as for card maybe this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130097
fanless, not much power consumption and its all you need for casual gaming. Also it is evga so if you want to go onto bigger less casual games that require some more power you can step up. (only like 2 or 3 months you get to decide to step up though)
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
but 128 mb would probably be fine.
Tell me your joking? You want a minimum of 256...I have a old 128 in my computer and I desperately need to upgrade it, it barely plays WoW...
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
yup yup, and I have a friend who works for nvidia and in February ill be getting tri-sli nvidia 9 series cards for cheap (maybe then I can run crysis on my new monitor in dx10 mode ) Consoles are already outdated in technology to play the new games coming out, such as Crysis. PC gaming in my opinion will never die because you can lower settings for more demanding games or simply upgrade your parts to run something. Consoles you have to buy a new one everytime they get outdated

as for card maybe this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130097
fanless, not much power consumption and its all you need for casual gaming. Also it is evga so if you want to go onto bigger less casual games that require some more power you can step up. (only like 2 or 3 months you get to decide to step up though)

hey if you can get the 9 series cheap, maybe get an extra one for me
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

I hardly play games at all. Now and then I'll download the latest Need For Speed or Rally games and mess around for a bit. I'm buying for the digital out mostly. I want to like gaming but it just doesn't keep my attention for long anymore.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode