Virginia Tech Shooting.... - Jemsite
Off-topic / Miscellaneous Talk about miscellaneous stuff off-topic and not related to music, guitars or bands. No music, gear or anything guitar related here please.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 18
Unhappy Virginia Tech Shooting....

Have you guys heard what happened? So far, 22 people were killed by a student who apparently had a problem with a professor at the university. What did those 22 people he killed have to do with the guy's personal matters? This is so unbelievable.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134671/

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vte...ing/index.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2686709.shtml

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3045574

It is completely incredible how lack of security can play a major role on a situation of this magnitude. I'm simply outraged at how much freedom of this and freedom of that exists in the US even after recent current events. It's as if polititians think the constitution was written by God or something.

IMO, I think the Constitution and the bill of rights are long overdue for a Revision.

Jimmy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 01:59 PM

Re: Virginia Tech Shooting....

That's crazy...

It hits home with me, because I grew up in Va, and that's where eveyone goes to college.

I think you're right, we definitely need to update the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
post #3 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:07 PM

Reviews: 10
Cool Re: Virginia Tech Shooting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Have you guys heard what happened? So far, 22 people were killed by a student who apparently had a problem with a professor at the university. What did those 22 people he killed have to do with the guy's personal matters? This is so unbelievable.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134671/

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vte...ing/index.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2686709.shtml

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3045574

It is completely incredible how lack of security can play a major role on a situation of this magnitude. I'm simply outraged at how much freedom of this and freedom of that exists in the US even after recent current events. It's as if polititians think the constitution was written by God or something.

IMO, I think the Constitution and the bill of rights are long overdue for a Revision.

Jimmy
These are just symptoms of a greater evil and a decay in our society, morals and religion!

Last edited by OLIE_ROCKS_THE_80'S; 04-16-2007 at 04:18 PM.
post #4 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:12 PM

Yeah...I've been watching that unfold on the news Sad and rediculous

And you're right Jimmy, we do need to insitute armed security in all of our schools!

A sad but very true fact! The Constitution is a joke in the modern era. I mean come on.....like the founding fathers had ANY inkling of and idea how things would be nowadays

People suck and there will always be copy cats since the Columbine shooting right here in CO!

Maybe this will FINALLY push it over the edge. Let's hope!

Don't let this thread get out of hand guys

Last edited by JJEMMER777; 04-16-2007 at 02:18 PM.
post #5 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 PM

Tragic news, and on such a large scale too.

A real shame.
post #6 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 PM

Wow, last update I heard, there was only 1 reported death....

As far as all this talk about revising the Constitution (when only article 2 in the bill or rights deals vaguely with guns): I don't know what's worse, being vulnerable to having my life taken away by some gun-toting psycho enabled by lack of security OR having my rights as a law-abiding citizen taken away as a knee-jerk reaction to events perpetrated by gun-toting psychos. I'll have to say the latter.
post #7 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:33 PM

Wow, they just said 31 people, now. at 2:30 PM.
post #8 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:34 PM

CNN's reporting a death toll of 31 now...

Quote:
As far as all this talk about revising the Constitution (when only article 2 in the bill or rights deals vaguely with guns): I don't know what's worse, being vulnerable to having my life taken away by some gun-toting psycho enabled by lack of security OR having my rights as a law-abiding citizen taken away as a knee-jerk reaction to events perpetrated by gun-toting psychos. I'll have to say the latter.
It is quite a catch 22. It's a sad world we live in. We need more Mother Teresas.
post #9 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
I'll have to say the latter.
I don't see as we have a choice anymore.....

If I had kids, I'd be afraid to let them go to school. I think I'd do home tutoring, but they miss out on SOO much with that. But at least I'd feel more a sence of security.

Just watch...now in the next few days or weeks, the copy cats will be out in force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam View Post
Wow, they just said 31 people, now. at 2:30 PM.
Wow.... the toll keeps going up

And on top of that, the little coward killed himself because he couldn't face up to it all

this makes me SOOOO angry!!!!!!
post #10 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick-boy View Post
It is quite a catch 22. It's a sad world we live in. We need more Mother Teresas.
Sad country would be more apt.

Very tragic loss of life Disgusting
post #11 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
Sad country would be more apt.

I KNEW this would happen No U.S. bashing! that's NOT what this is about

It's NOT a sad country! It's a wonderful country filled with a wealth of oppurtunity. It's just a handful of sad people that cause the unrest

I've been around the world and the U.S. will ALWAYS be home!

BTW - Ireland (my homeland) has had it's bloody share of massacres as well, voo doo.
post #12 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM

Chris Rock had a great solution to the gun problem...since we can't get the NRA to waver...Make bullets cost $5,000 each. People would be really careful about who the waste those bullets on.
post #13 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post

It's NOT a sad country! It's a wonderful country filled with a wealth of oppurtunity. It's just a handful of sad people that cause the unrest
I'm glad you responded. I was trying to think of a tactful way to respond and nothing came to mind that didn't involve a lot or swearing.
post #14 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 18

Simply ridiculous what went on at VT this morning. I feel for those families whom are going to have to bury all those kids.

Demiurge,

While I do respect your views and your opinion on the matter, I think there is a certain validity to my previous statement. Although the bill of rights deals with guns only on article 2, you have to seriously consider the impact that a document, such as the consititution, that was written by our founding fathers many many years ago can have numerous negative ramifications and exploits because we have all been told time and time again that those freedoms and rights it advocates should be defended to the teeth.

When our founding fathers wrote it, it was during a time in which we (the people) were fighting for our freedom and independence from England.

Revising the Constitution and the Bill of Rights is not something that should be thought of in a negative manner. You revise things to improve them, not to forget them. Times have definitely changed and what was valid in 1787 no longer holds such a validity in many aspects but in our hearts and in history books.

Many countries have revised their articles of indenpendence and they are still operating well. Why should the US be any different?

When I was living in Peru (my homeland) from my childhood to my early teens, I witnessed terrorism first hand, courtesy of the "Shining Path". When the Constitution was modified to allow for the prosecution and proper punishment of those individuals, the government managed to get rid of that group and its leader.

Jimmy

P.S.: For the record, I'm not trying to start an argument of any sort. I am actually looking past what one individual has done and I'm trying to look at the problem from its root and how it affects us all. I am also very happy and proud to be a US Citizen. There simply isn't any other country I'd rather live in.
post #15 of 143 (permalink) Old 04-16-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777 View Post
Uh...it wasnt US bashing, if i was doing that the thread would be 10 pages long. (joking )

Just correcting a point. I don't think of the world as a sad place.

Anyway, very tragic day, my sympathies go out to anyone affected.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode